Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1084 [2]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Re: Suprisingly LOW VERBAL score. [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
lostbook wrote:
So I gave the gmat today for the first time and was very surprised to find that I got a v18. My total score was 510 ( Q43 V18).

I was consistently scoring v30 to v34 in the mgmat and other mocks, expect for one mock ( v24) but thought maybe it was a more difficult test. I did the gmatclub free verbal mock, which I had read was actually a bit harder but still scored a v32.

I prepared for about 3 months covering all the mgmat books. Did about 7 mocks but did not have time to complete all OG questions for verbal. I was in fact more concerned about my Quants score as it isn't my greatest strength, and the Q43 in the actual exam was the best I've scored. But the verbal score is a complete shocker. I mean, it's so ridiculously low that I am just confused rather than disappointed.

Any possible explanations to this ?? I know I have to work on SC, I was scoring v30 to v33 mostly with a decent intuition rather than anything.Was fairly comfortable with CR and RC, although I'm sure I should have terribly screwed up there as well to get a v18. How do I prevent this from happening again?

I have about a month left for another exam and I hope to increase my Q43 to Q45 and get a v36 atleast. I know expecting a v36 after scoring v18 seems senseless but again, I scored better on verbal than quants in almost every single mock test I have attempted( including the gmat prep mock 1, scoring v30 even before starting any preparation!!). I just don't understand this. Help!

I suggest you get your ESR as soon as possible. Though with V18 I believe you have scope of improvement in every areas, I think with ESR you can identify your weakest area and work on it(rather than working on assumptions).

Also its very important you complete all the OG and GMATPREP questions. They are the retired original GMAT questions and best reflect the actual GMAT. You can ignore other questions (questions from MGMAT or other preps), but you must not skip OG and GMATPREP questions. In fact, these are actually what one needs to ace the exam.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Suprisingly LOW VERBAL score. [#permalink]
So I did get my esr and I guess I have an idea of what actually happened. My accuracy in the verbal section in the second and third quarter of the test was 71%. But the accuracy in the last quarter of the section was only 25%. I've probably answered only 3 out of 11 correctly.

I think that explains things. The difficulty of the questions was medium throughout. Getting something like 7 or 8 questions wrong in a row, towards the end, would have exponentially reduced my verbal score. I guess I was in a bit of time pressure.

I used up a lot of time in the second quarter of the section (2 min 27 average) and had to push through to make up for the lost time ( 1m 27 - 3rd quarter; 1m 23 - 4th quarter). Was still able to score with 71% accuracy in the 3rd quarter but couldn't keep it up in the final quarter.

I suppose time management might have been a major factor here. My exam literally fell apart in a space of 12-13 minutes!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Hi!

I'd recommend concentrating on official questions from OG. You can download additional official questions from GMATprep here and here.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1084 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
lostbook wrote:
So I did get my esr and I guess I have an idea of what actually happened. My accuracy in the verbal section in the second and third quarter of the test was 71%. But the accuracy in the last quarter of the section was only 25%. I've probably answered only 3 out of 11 correctly.

I think that explains things. The difficulty of the questions was medium throughout. Getting something like 7 or 8 questions wrong in a row, towards the end, would have exponentially reduced my verbal score. I guess I was in a bit of time pressure.

I used up a lot of time in the second quarter of the section (2 min 27 average) and had to push through to make up for the lost time ( 1m 27 - 3rd quarter; 1m 23 - 4th quarter). Was still able to score with 71% accuracy in the 3rd quarter but couldn't keep it up in the final quarter.

I suppose time management might have been a major factor here. My exam literally fell apart in a space of 12-13 minutes!

Time and stress management in really crucial for GMAT. you need to train your body and mind for this. empowerGMAT has some really great tips and guidance for time and stress management. Opt for a trial version and checkout if that is helpful for you. Best of luck :thumbup:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi lostbook,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot