Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.79
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Re: Potential study resources [#permalink]
Kudos
alexmonnin, thanks for the input and for the suggestion for Thursdays with Ron!

pushpitkc, thank you for the links, they're very helpful! Good to know I'm on the right track for Verbal :-).

EMPOWERgmatRichC, hi, would you happen to have any advice based on my questions? :-) Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi VegasVed,

It looks like you've done a lot of research - which is good. Many Test Takers use a variety of resources during their studies, so some combination of the materials you've listed will likely be the right 'mix' (although you might end up needing additional materials beyond the ones you're considering.

Right now, we can't assume that you're at the '460 level'; we need an accurate assessment of your current abilities and that's really only going to happen once you take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test. You can download 2 CATs for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. Based on what you describe about your background, it will be interesting to see how well you perform. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have your results, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the response!

I'll take the full length CAT to set my baseline just as soon as I am back in town (next week).
From that point on, I know I can do 20 hours per week, perhaps more, for at least a month, and then at least 15 hours per week. As for the total amount of time I have: I have loads of time. I am planning to go to B-school a couple years from now so I'm hoping that the massive lead time means I can grow substantially...

One of my problems is that I don't stay very organized, so I am not comfortable starting until I have a solid study plan I can stick to which revolved around the resources I short-list.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi VegasVed,

Preparing for the GMAT now - when you're not facing any immediate application deadlines - is a smart (and forward-thinking) choice.

Since you likely have your own idea of what you're looking for in a Study Plan, I suggest doing just a bit more research into the various study materials you've listed. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can see how the Course is organized and 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them, then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Potential study resources [#permalink]
Hi VegasVed,

I'll share my 2 cents.

Quant section:

I prefer TTP as it is has organized training plan that goes like tree. It build your skills in certain way. Also, each topic is organized into sub ideas that you may face under the topic. It gives almost the whole view and confidence. The questions resembles the GMAT like questions. You can get instant answers from Jeff or Scott. You can use this forum to get more ideas to solve any problem. This is how you will reinforce your understanding. There are endless tutors who offers ideas to solve problems.

Verbal Section:

The most important is to practice high quality questions and do reflection on wrong answers.

For SC, e-gmat and MGAMT are great to start with. Also, you need to follow tutors like GMATninja, Mike McGarry.

For CR, e-gmat & Power score are great. I would go with them.

For general practice, the MGMAT & Veritas questions and exams are great too. The verbal questions in Magoosh posses high quality too. GMATclub tests are high quality, especially Quant section,and can push you outside your boundaries.

I advise you to participate and share your thoughts in the forum. It will help you a lot.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Mo2men,

Thanks for the input! Since you say you prefer TTP, I'm assuming that means you tried and did not like EMPOWERGmat as much. Were there particular things about it that you did not like?

Thanks for the insights regarding verbal, for the most part, that sounds like what I intended to do, so it's reassuring.

Fortunately, Veritas has a free question bank, so I look forward to using it.

Cheers
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
VegasVed wrote:
Hi Mo2men,

Thanks for the input! Since you say you prefer TTP, I'm assuming that means you tried and did not like EMPOWERGmat as much. Were there particular things about it that you did not like?

Thanks for the insights regarding verbal, for the most part, that sounds like what I intended to do, so it's reassuring.

Fortunately, Veritas has a free question bank, so I look forward to using it.

Cheers

Hi VegasVed,

I have subscribed in EMPOWERGmat and I learnt a lot from Rich methods like Testing values or testing answers but I discovered TTP that suit my type of learning as mentioned above. For me, it is more structured than any other provider. Also, they provide a lot of questions in certain level more than EMPOWERGmat. That being said, I still used the other techniques I learnt from every instructor. Whatever provider you choose, do not ignore other instructors techniques. My advice to is to subscribe in both trial versions to familiarize yourself with each one and choose the best for you. Then, choose with

I hope it helps you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello again!

EMPOWERgmatRichC, I have done my first CAT, with minimal preparation and have gotten a 610 (Q41, V33). I don't feel particularly bad given what I know of people taking their first cold turkey CAT and the average GMAT score, but here are some points to note:
- I was having trouble focusing. It could be a sleep thing...
- I had 7 minutes left in Quant
- I had 20 minutes left in Verbal
- I ran out of time in IR and scored 4.43 (didn't know decimals were a thing in scores).

Oh and this might matter: this was an MGMAT CAT.

Please let me know what you think overall, and in the context of my initial question.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi VegasVed,

A 610 is a strong initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). You also seem prepared to commit the necessary time and effort to your studies - which is also good. From what you describe, you finished the Quant and Verbal sections early; that almost certainly means that if you had slowed down, taken more notes, double-checked your work, etc., you could have scored even higher. This is all meant to say that you're clearly a strong 'critical thinker' overall, so now your real focus should be on learning and practicing the proper Tactics and training for the overall Test Day 'event.'

To that end, I'll stick with my original advice - you should work with a GMAT Course that best matches your personality. You have the time to properly sample all of the options you've mentioned (as well as any additional ones that you may come across), so you should investigate as much as you feel compelled to. If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi all,

I am also just starting with the preparation for the GMAT and I had a similar question regarding prep material. Maybe some of you have an opinion on this one, I would appreciate it.

I am currently working with the Kaplan Prep Plus 2018, which i got from the library. However, as I read a lot of opinions here I think Manhatten would be the better choice for me personally. The only thing i was wondering is if the fact that the Manhatten books are from 2014 and Kaplan is from 2018 affects the quality of the material. After all, I read often that its important to work with up to date material. Does anyone know something about that?

Many thanks,
Alex
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC, thanks for the advice!

h9971488, through my research, I have noticed two things:

1. There aren't that many differences in the GMAT between 2014, and 2016. As far as I can tell, the biggest one is that you not get to choose the order in which you will do test sections, from three options. Older materials will obviously not mention that. It seems, however, that the rest of the content is largely the same though.

2. The 6th edition of MGMAT has been recommended over the 5th one because it is supposedly better (more logically) organized.

Following the assumption that both the statements above are true, I do not see much value in buying new books, assuming the books are all you're after.

Having said that, I see a lot of value in the online resources, all of which can be bought online for around $125 dollars.

The choice comes down, in my eyes, to using MGMAT '14 despite the minor drawbacks listed above and forking out $125 bucks ($75 if you choose to skip Navigator), or getting the full set from MGMAT for $195+shipping, buying individual sets is not recommended if you will also buy the missing online resources as it is less cost effective than just getting the whole set. You could also just buy the specific guides you want if they aren't numerous, supplemented by whichever online resources you deem necessary.

HTH,

Ved

Sent from my MHA-L29 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Alex,

To start, you would likely receive more of a response if you started your own thread (instead of piggy-backing on this one); that way, the focus can be on your situation and questions.

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
VegasVed wrote:
Hello again!

EMPOWERgmatRichC, I have done my first CAT, with minimal preparation and have gotten a 610 (Q41, V33). I don't feel particularly bad given what I know of people taking their first cold turkey CAT and the average GMAT score, but here are some points to note:
- I was having trouble focusing. It could be a sleep thing...
- I had 7 minutes left in Quant
- I had 20 minutes left in Verbal
- I ran out of time in IR and scored 4.43 (didn't know decimals were a thing in scores).

Oh and this might matter: this was an MGMAT CAT.

Please let me know what you think overall, and in the context of my initial question.

Thanks!
Obviously not that much trouble focusing, given that you got a V33 with 20 minutes left. You could be looking at a V40+ with a little prep :-)

While the (current) average IR score is 4.23, IR scores are reported on a discrete scale (1, 2, 3... 8). Which test did you take?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun thanks for the encouraging words! I am aiming for a V46, so it's good to know I might have a shot as long as I put in the work.

I did the first MGMAT CAT.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot