Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: From 530 to 600+ is it possible?? [#permalink]
It is possible. I got from 550 to 650. You need to prepare a good study plan though...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
From 530 to 600+ is it possible?? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Krebs01,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) Can you go into a bit more detail about your study routine over the last couple of months (in 2018)?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs ini 2018 (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) Is your goal score a 600 or something else?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

I've started studying last year in december after I sis my first CAT (economist), which I got 540. I don't know my Quant and Verbal Score from my first CAT and I cannot checked, since It's been deleted; however, I do think I got between 33-37(Q) and between 22-25 (V). During the month of December I was using magoosh's 3 month study plan and using the material recomended by them, which are OG, OG Review (Verbal and Quant), Nova's GMAT Math Prep Course and Manhattan's GMAT Advanced Quant.

Now talking about 2018, from January to February 25th I wasn't really able to study anything due to the fact that I was living in Peru as part of an exchange program and the house were I was living was really crowd. At the end of february I started to study again from were I left of (Magoosh's 3 month study plan), but I realized that I was not gonna be able to finish the study plan, so I decided to do a new CAT (Manhattan) and go for the magoosh's one month study plan. In this last CAT I got 36(Q) and 28(V).

Of the ones that I'm applying only two ask for the GMAT and both of them ask for at least an 600 score. My official GMAT Test is going to be on April 13th.

The thing is that if it's not possible to achieve this score in one month, I would cancel or reschedule my official gmat test and only apply for one of the 2 Schools that ask for the GMAT, since I would probably have lost the application deadline to one of them. However, if there is a possibility to achieve at least 600 than I wanna try it.

ps: sorry for any grammar mistake.

Originally posted by Krebs01 on 13 Mar 2018, 14:32.
Last edited by Krebs01 on 13 Mar 2018, 15:19, edited 8 times in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Krebs01,

Raising a 530 to a 600+ in the next 4 weeks is certainly possible - and you could pick up all of the missing points that you're looking for in either just the Quant section, just the Verbal section or a mix of the two. It's also worth noting that - to hit your Score Goal - you do NOT need to correctly answer ANY questions that you think are too hard or too weird. If it's really been about 2 weeks since you last took a CAT, then you should plan to take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT sometime soon - and make sure to take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Krebs01,

Raising a 530 to a 600+ in the next 4 weeks is certainly possible - and you could pick up all of the missing points that you're looking for in either just the Quant section, just the Verbal section or a mix of the two. It's also worth noting that - to hit your Score Goal - you do NOT need to correctly answer ANY questions that you think are too hard or too weird. If it's really been about 2 weeks since you last took a CAT, then you should plan to take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT sometime soon - and make sure to take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich

I must say that I was thinking that it would be in possible to get there in one month so these last 7 days and haven't study much, so I doubt that my score will change something.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Krebs01,

If you cannot commit to a consistent study routine (taking a week, multiple weeks or months 'off' from your studies seems to hint that that might be the case), then you will find it difficult to improve. In that same way, I'm not sure if you've been taking your CATs in a realistic fashion, so there's some question as to how accurate these practice CAT Scores really are. As such, it would still be useful for you to take that next CAT as advised (and make sure to take it in a realistic fashion). I'd also like to see if you can incorporate the advice that I gave you - to hit your Goal Score, you don't have to correctly answer ANY questions that you think are too hard or too weird... so what will you do when one of those questions shows up? (hint: you should quickly guess and move past it).

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Krebs01,

If you cannot commit to a consistent study routine (taking a week, multiple weeks or months 'off' from your studies seems to hint that that might be the case), then you will find it difficult to improve. In that same way, I'm not sure if you've been taking your CATs in a realistic fashion, so there's some question as to how accurate these practice CAT Scores really are. As such, it would still be useful for you to take that next CAT as advised (and make sure to take it in a realistic fashion). I'd also like to see if you can incorporate the advice that I gave you - to hit your Goal Score, you don't have to correctly answer ANY questions that you think are too hard or too weird... so what will you do when one of those questions shows up? (hint: you should quickly guess and move past it).

Rich

Hi, so I've just done the GMAT Prep CAT and I got 45(Q),22(V). The night before the CAT, I went to sleep at 9:00pm after taking valerina (a natural medicine to help sleep) and the morning before the CAT, I woke up 5:30am, which is the same time that I will have to wake up on the test day, and started the CAT at 8:00am.

I've changed my test day to the last week of April due to that I will have two more weeks to study.

I had to guess 6 questions in the Verbal section and 11 questions in the Quantitative section. I managed to get 4 questions right from my guess in the Verbal section and 5 questions right from my guess in the Quant section. Additionally, I did 6 stupid mistakes in Quant and 4 stupid mistakes in Verbal.

I've changed my test day to the last week of April so that I could have two more weeks of study.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Krebs01,

To clarify, when you say that you "had to guess on 6 questions in the Verbal section" do you mean that you CHOSE to quickly guess on them because you thought they were hard OR do you mean that you ran out of time at the end and had to guess because you had no choice?

With a Goal Score of 600, you have to keep the little mistakes to a minimum. You admit to getting 10 questions wrong because of silly/little mistakes (there are only 78 total questions between the Quant and Verbal sections though), so what would you do differently to make sure that you DON'T make those same mistakes again? I suggest that you rework ALL of those questions step-by-step (on your pad, NOT "in your head"). Your Goal is achievable, but it requires a certain amount of 'precision' in your work.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Krebs01,

To clarify, when you say that you "had to guess on 6 questions in the Verbal section" do you mean that you CHOSE to quickly guess on them because you thought they were hard OR do you mean that you ran out of time at the end and had to guess because you had no choice?

With a Goal Score of 600, you have to keep the little mistakes to a minimum. You admit to getting 10 questions wrong because of silly/little mistakes (there are only 78 total questions between the Quant and Verbal sections though), so what would you do differently to make sure that you DON'T make those same mistakes again? I suggest that you rework ALL of those questions step-by-step (on your pad, NOT "in your head"). Your Goal is achievable, but it requires a certain amount of 'precision' in your work.

Rich

I had to guess them because I was running out of time.

I will do those exercises again (the ones I got wrong due to silly mistakes).

Thanks for the help

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Krebs01,

By having to 'rush' through so many questions at the end of each section, you clearly 'overcommit' to certain questions (and likely work in inefficient ways throughout each section). There's also the question of whether you attempted to follow my prior advice or not; how many questions did you quickly 'dump' because you thought they were too difficult? Considering the number of questions you had to rush through, I have to assume that you spent far too much time on the toughest questions that you faced. Working in that way will almost certainly keep you from hitting your Score Goal.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Krebs01,

By having to 'rush' through so many questions at the end of each section, you clearly 'overcommit' to certain questions (and likely work in inefficient ways throughout each section). There's also the question of whether you attempted to follow my prior advice or not; how many questions did you quickly 'dump' because you thought they were too difficult? Considering the number of questions you had to rush through, I have to assume that you spent far too much time on the toughest questions that you faced. Working in that way will almost certainly keep you from hitting your Score Goal.

Rich

There a some, I don't remeber how many, questions that I thought they were easy, but they end up being kind of hard. I did lost too much time on them. However, there were a few questions (I think 3) that I guessed because I had know idea how to solve them.
GMAT Club Bot