Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 489
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [1]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: School visits query [#permalink]
That's great advice, thank you very much VeritasPrepDozie and TheIvyLeagueEdge. Actually, I couldn't get my target score even after multiple GMAT attempts (missed last year's application deadlines), so that's why I am/was a little hesitant in visiting the school. But everyone I talk to says the same thing that school visits will help at some point during interviews and essays. I guess I'll try to visit by April. Thanks again for your inputs.
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sdlife wrote:
That's great advice, thank you very much VeritasPrepDozie and TheIvyLeagueEdge. Actually, I couldn't get my target score even after multiple GMAT attempts (missed last year's application deadlines), so that's why I am/was a little hesitant in visiting the school. But everyone I talk to says the same thing that school visits will help at some point during interviews and essays. I guess I'll try to visit by April. Thanks again for your inputs.

Be warned though,
If you did your homework before your visit to a school, including due research, preparing your questions, and connecting with current students, alums etc, your visits will be way more fruitful, else a visit could end up as a social memory, and not much more.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
TheIvyLeagueEdge wrote:
Be warned though,
If you did your homework before your visit to a school, including due research, preparing your questions, and connecting with current students, alums etc, your visits will be way more fruitful, else a visit could end up as a social memory, and not much more.

TheIvyLeagueEdge , VeritasPrepDozie

I have made plans to visit the schools. Could you provide any tips on how to make the most out of my school visits? I have contacted the current students and now doing research and preparing questions. How do I make sure that someone in the admission committee remembers me? It would be hard to get a dedicated time slot with an adcom, but I am still trying. I would appreciate any pointers you could provide. Thank you very much!
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
I think you are on the right path here. When it comes to admissions it will be school dependent how much time you have. Try and get some time with them, if not see if you can swing by admissions and get a meet and greet and at least get a business card from someone. Make sure you follow-up with your contact in admissions after your visit and update them periodically. Most schools will keep a ledger of the contact they have with applicants but if you can develop more of a relationship that extends after your visit the better you will be
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Send PM
sdlife wrote:
TheIvyLeagueEdge wrote:
Be warned though,

TheIvyLeagueEdge , VeritasPrepDozie

I have made plans to visit the schools. Could you provide any tips on how to make the most out of my school visits? I have contacted the current students and now doing research and preparing questions. How do I make sure that someone in the admission committee remembers me? It would be hard to get a dedicated time slot with an adcom, but I am still trying. I would appreciate any pointers you could provide. Thank you very much!

1) Try and ask pointed questions to the AdCom, including those referring to the future plans of school growth.
2) You can talk about "Why" this school holds that extra important place for you" (this is where your research on this school comes in), but please do not show you are "overawed" OR imply your readiness to do anything to come to this school.
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
sdlife wrote:
Hi Experts,

I've been preparing for the GMAT and plan to give it in the next couple months. While I was researching some of my target schools, I found that most schools that I am interested in don't have school visits available after April. Since I don't have a score in hand, I am not comfortable with the idea of visiting schools, but I believe school visits are an important part of the essays and interviews. I am interested in applying to Yale, Tuck, Darden, Fuqua, Ross, Wharton, and Sloan in R1. I can take a break from the GMAT and go visit some of these schools ONLY if the school visits would definitely provide an edge in applications/interviews. I've heard that for Tuck, Darden, and Fuqua school visits are a must if you live in US, while Yale, Wharton, Ross, and Sloan can still be managed without the visits.

Could you please advise on how do I decide which schools I should definitely visit and which ones I can skip? Or should I keep focusing on getting the GMAT out of the way? My only fear is that if I don't visit before April, I won't have a chance to visit before R1 and that might affect my applications/interviews. I live in the west coast, so a trip to some of these schools would require time and energy.

Thank you very much!

As mentioned above, definitely take advantage and do some visits now while classes are in session. That said, you should visit wisely. Certain schools value visits more than others. You can also visit middle ground schools that you will probably target regardless of score and leave the highest reach for a later date.

However some of your data is not accurate. Sloan definitely appreciates interest so a visit there would help a great deal. You could skip Wharton though for instance if you can't do them all. The value add is not quite the same.

Good luck and reach out for further guidance during the application process.

Scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott
GMAT Club Bot