Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:42 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [19]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Samuel has a big drawer full of exactly 59 packets, each [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
Samuel has a big drawer full of exactly 59 packets, each containing a marker which is either black or blue or red in colour. All 59 packets are sealed and are completely identical from outside. It is not possible to know which colour marker is inside unless the packet is fully opened. Out of 59, 23 packets contain a black marker each. How many packets contain a blue marker?

(1) If Samuel withdraws packets without looking at their contents, he needs to draw minimum 42 packets to ensure that he has at least one marker of each colour out of red, blue, black.

(2) Probability of picking a packet containing red marker is same as the probability of picking a packet containing blue marker.

Hi Chetan ,

Statement B is ok to understand .
But i have trouble understanding statement 1 .
Can you please explain statement 1 and how to interpret such statement in general
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5578 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi

In this Questions We have total number of packets = 59
and no of black markers =23
we don't know about the number of red or blue markers.

1) he needs to draw minimum 42 packets to ensure that he has at least one marker of each colour out of red, blue, black.
Now to be sure that he has at least one marker of each colours, let initial all markers are black, Bad luck :sad:
So first 23 markers are black.
Now out of 42 , 23 are black. this means 42-23=19. in 19, 18 are of one colour and we have last marker of the third one. (we have to take the worst condition to ensure that markers of all colours have been drawn)
that means, say blue = 18 and last one is for red.
So number of red = 59-23-18=18.
(if we take second colour to be red, then we get third colour blue = 18). so its a single unique combination possible.
hence we get the number of markers of each colour.

SUFFICIENT

arvind910619 wrote:
Samuel has a big drawer full of exactly 59 packets, each containing a marker which is either black or blue or red in colour. All 59 packets are sealed and are completely identical from outside. It is not possible to know which colour marker is inside unless the packet is fully opened. Out of 59, 23 packets contain a black marker each. How many packets contain a blue marker?

(1) If Samuel withdraws packets without looking at their contents, he needs to draw minimum 42 packets to ensure that he has at least one marker of each colour out of red, blue, black.

(2) Probability of picking a packet containing red marker is same as the probability of picking a packet containing blue marker.

Hi Chetan ,

Can you please explain statement 1 and how to interpret such statement in general[/quote]
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
gmatbusters wrote:
Hi

In this Questions We have total number of packets = 59
and no of black markers =23
we don't know about the number of red or blue markers.

1) he needs to draw minimum 42 packets to ensure that he has at least one marker of each colour out of red, blue, black.
Now to be sure that he has at least one marker of each colours, let initial all markers are black, Bad luck :sad:
So first 23 markers are black.
Now out of 42 , 23 are black. this means 42-23=19. in 19, 18 are of one colour and we have last marker of the third one. (we have to take the worst condition to ensure that markers of all colours have been drawn)
that means, say blue = 18 and last one is for red.
So number of red = 59-23-18=18.
(if we take second colour to be red, then we get third colour blue = 18). so its a single unique combination possible.
hence we get the number of markers of each colour.

SUFFICIENT

arvind910619 wrote:

Hi Chetan ,

Can you please explain statement 1 and how to interpret such statement in general
[/quote]

Hi gmatbusters,

Thanks for the explanation :-D
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM