Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Read our Verified Client Reviews on GMAT Club:
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V36
GPA: 3
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jasd2804 wrote:
Dear Experts,

I am facing an uncommon situation here and need your suggestions on how to go about it. First, a quick highlight of my profile. I am an Indian (26yrs) with following professional and academic credentials:

GMAT: 700 | Q49 (77%), V35(76%), IR5(55%)
WE: ~6 years (entirely in Risk & Management Consulting primarily for global Telecom and E-commerce clients)
Employers: KPMG India (current, 4 yrs), KPMG China and Protiviti India (2 yrs)
International experience: South Africa (currently based out of Joburg since a year), China, HK, Nigeria, Gabon, India and Bangladesh
Undergrad: B.Tech (80.69% - top 5%)
Others: Rating - 1 (Exceptional) all through my career

I have already applied to INSEAD in its R1 for Jan'19 intake. Given my multifaceted experience, my essays have come out well. However, the IR score of 5 is making me uncomfortable about my chances of making to an interview stage.

Can somebody suggest me whether a GMAT retake (solely to up the IR score or perhaps, overall GMAT) is recommended at this juncture?

Even if I decide re-take GMAT, it will still happen in next 10-15 days.

A quick suggestion from experts will be highly appreciated!!

Best,
Jasdeep

Hi Jasdeep,

I would recommend a GMAT retake not from the perspective of just getting your IR score up, but also improving your GMAT score another 20+ points. A 700 GMAT is going to be less competitive for an Indian applicant.
The question is, can you improve your score in another 10-15 days?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Thank you all! Appreciate and value your opinion.

As unanimously suggested, I should def give it another shot! Being not in touch with GMAT stuff since quite a bit of time and with all that added work responsibilities, I need a miracle to happen here to turn things around. But, yeah I am positive and hoping to achieve something north of what I already have.

Cheers!
jasd2804
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Hello All,

I'm considering INSEAD for Fall '19 and hope to get a rough idea of what my chances are. I'm a 25 yo (26 next year) Asian American female applicant

Undergraduate Education: State School BSci in Finance with Economics Minor
Overall GPA: 3.47/4.0
Major GPA: 3.60/4.0

WE: 4 years at mat. (excluding the 2 1/2 years I worked during undergrad)
- Spent 2 1/2 years working part time (30hr/weekday) for a GSIB since my sophomore year in college. I was primarily in their operations side.
- Spent 1 year after graduation at a major investment bank in NY as part of their operations analyst class (was offered an informal promotion from Executive Director if I were to stay)
- Spent a little over 1 year with a MBB as part of their Risk Practice specializing in operational risk and compliance. Had strong ratings and on tracking for promotion in a year but left. Gain international exposure. Spent time in France and Germany for work and assisted with consultants and clients from all parts of the world. (left due to personal reasons. had to take care of parents)
- Currently working for a GSIB in a more senior role but no direct reports. I manage my business unit's budget and inventory tracking for IT Infrastructure.

EC: Minimal
- Was part of a diversity club and leadership club for a year during undergrad but left due to work commitments.
- Was a volunteer editor for an non-profit that aims to promote international experiences by publishing daily experiences of exchange students and English teachers abroad.
- Currently, volunteer for a financial education foundation that promotes teaching kids about the markets and the economy. I assist twice a year in their essay contests.
- Did 300+ hr in high school but that was years ago so I don't think I can put that in my application. I set up a tutoring partnership in high school with a local elementary school and volunteer at holiday festivals for my city.

GMAT: 700

My Goals:

- Hope to make a career switch into Marketing. I have strong reasons why it interests me.

Thank you all for helping!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
jasd2804 wrote:
Dear Experts,

I am facing an uncommon situation here and need your suggestions on how to go about it. First, a quick highlight of my profile. I am an Indian (26yrs) with following professional and academic credentials:

GMAT: 700 | Q49 (77%), V35(76%), IR5(55%)
WE: ~6 years (entirely in Risk & Management Consulting primarily for global Telecom and E-commerce clients)
Employers: KPMG India (current, 4 yrs), KPMG China and Protiviti India (2 yrs)
International experience: South Africa (currently based out of Joburg since a year), China, HK, Nigeria, Gabon, India and Bangladesh
Undergrad: B.Tech (80.69% - top 5%)
Others: Rating - 1 (Exceptional) all through my career

I have already applied to INSEAD in its R1 for Jan'19 intake. Given my multifaceted experience, my essays have come out well. However, the IR score of 5 is making me uncomfortable about my chances of making to an interview stage.

Can somebody suggest me whether a GMAT retake (solely to up the IR score or perhaps, overall GMAT) is recommended at this juncture?

Even if I decide re-take GMAT, it will still happen in next 10-15 days.

A quick suggestion from experts will be highly appreciated!!

Best,
Jasdeep

Hi jasd2804,

We are a bit late in responding to you but we hope this finds you in time still.

Yes, a retake is strongly recommended not only for your IR but also in terms of your overall score. Of course, your profile is strong. However, considering you are part of an over-represented pool of applicants, you may want to look at raising your score as much as possible.

All the best! :)
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
ravi1608 wrote:
Hi All,

I was hoping to request your assistance with one of my queries for my INSEAD application.

- My recommender does not have time to write individual questions in the online form and fill the grid. Does the school allow to email a word document by the recommender? and if yes, how will the information in the grid be shared with the school as that grid is an online piece related to the form?

Thanks in advance.

Hi ravi1608,

While recommendations are neither deal makers or deal breakers, it requires a good deal of time and attention (particularly with a school such as INSEAD). Hence, should your recommender not have enough time to spare, we recommend that you identify and alternate recommender.

Thanks.

All the best!
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
BostonKid wrote:
Hello All,

I'm considering INSEAD for Fall '19 and hope to get a rough idea of what my chances are. I'm a 25 yo (26 next year) Asian American female applicant

Undergraduate Education: State School BSci in Finance with Economics Minor
Overall GPA: 3.47/4.0
Major GPA: 3.60/4.0

WE: 4 years at mat. (excluding the 2 1/2 years I worked during undergrad)
- Spent 2 1/2 years working part time (30hr/weekday) for a GSIB since my sophomore year in college. I was primarily in their operations side.
- Spent 1 year after graduation at a major investment bank in NY as part of their operations analyst class (was offered an informal promotion from Executive Director if I were to stay)
- Spent a little over 1 year with a MBB as part of their Risk Practice specializing in operational risk and compliance. Had strong ratings and on tracking for promotion in a year but left. Gain international exposure. Spent time in France and Germany for work and assisted with consultants and clients from all parts of the world. (left due to personal reasons. had to take care of parents)
- Currently working for a GSIB in a more senior role but no direct reports. I manage my business unit's budget and inventory tracking for IT Infrastructure.

EC: Minimal
- Was part of a diversity club and leadership club for a year during undergrad but left due to work commitments.
- Was a volunteer editor for an non-profit that aims to promote international experiences by publishing daily experiences of exchange students and English teachers abroad.
- Currently, volunteer for a financial education foundation that promotes teaching kids about the markets and the economy. I assist twice a year in their essay contests.
- Did 300+ hr in high school but that was years ago so I don't think I can put that in my application. I set up a tutoring partnership in high school with a local elementary school and volunteer at holiday festivals for my city.

GMAT: 700

My Goals:

- Hope to make a career switch into Marketing. I have strong reasons why it interests me.

Thank you all for helping!

Overall great profile. The transitions will stick out though, since there are a few of them. What you will really gain from is a storyline which highlights your achievements and the blemishes/ the concerns fade behind them.

Feel free to pm/ contact directly if you like to hear more.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi all,

Just wondering about your thoughts on reapplicants? I've been reading that INSEAD has changed its stance on reapplicants, but is still not 100% reapplicant friendly.

I applied in Nov 2017 for R2 of the September 2018 intake. Dinged with no interview. I have an acceptance elsewhere, but I can't get INSEAD out of my mind (I've spoken with reps and alumni, and it's been my target school for a while). Would anybody have an opinion on how a reapplication, less than a year later, would be viewed? Unfortunately, short of changing jobs, there won't be any major changes to my profile as it currently is.

Demographic: Male, 32, Chinese-Canadian

WE: ~10 years, currently a Big 4 Manager, recently promoted, some other accounting work in the past, CPA certification; honestly, some slow career progress

Academics: 730 GMAT, 3.6 GPA with Honors at a well known Canadian university

EC's: CPA instructor/mentor for a few years now; minor organizer for a language learning club

Other: dual citizenship; native English, ~B2 Chinese, ~B2 European language (truth be told, I'm an aspiring polyglot, but of limited talent)

Unfortunately, I had my essays reviewed after I submitted -- not before. I've been told that my essays sank me. I'm just wondering if, at this time, INSEAD would be open to a re-submission so soon, and whether I'd even have a shot.

Any and all opinions are appreciated!
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [1]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
noktrnl wrote:
Hi all,

Just wondering about your thoughts on reapplicants? I've been reading that INSEAD has changed its stance on reapplicants, but is still not 100% reapplicant friendly.

I applied in Nov 2017 for R2 of the September 2018 intake. Dinged with no interview. I have an acceptance elsewhere, but I can't get INSEAD out of my mind (I've spoken with reps and alumni, and it's been my target school for a while). Would anybody have an opinion on how a reapplication, less than a year later, would be viewed? Unfortunately, short of changing jobs, there won't be any major changes to my profile as it currently is.

Demographic: Male, 32, Chinese-Canadian

WE: ~10 years, currently a Big 4 Manager, recently promoted, some other accounting work in the past, CPA certification; honestly, some slow career progress

Academics: 730 GMAT, 3.6 GPA with Honors at a well known Canadian university

EC's: CPA instructor/mentor for a few years now; minor organizer for a language learning club

Other: dual citizenship; native English, ~B2 Chinese, ~B2 European language (truth be told, I'm an aspiring polyglot, but of limited talent)

Unfortunately, I had my essays reviewed after I submitted -- not before. I've been told that my essays sank me. I'm just wondering if, at this time, INSEAD would be open to a re-submission so soon, and whether I'd even have a shot.

Any and all opinions are appreciated!

noktrnl,
There are things you can change, and things you cannot change...

You can neither change the fact that you are a ReApplicant, nor that your essays sank you (IF they did).

What would I suggest?
Get good help with all your application material (Resume, Essays, LORs and even the answers here and there). If your stats let you place your foot in the door (GMAT, GPA, UG, Languages,WE etc look great) a fresh perspective and a fresh presentation on you would definitely help a lot, especially if you can't sleep in peace without having made your best attempt.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
TheIvyLeagueEdge wrote:

noktrnl,
There are things you can change, and things you cannot change...

You can neither change the fact that you are a ReApplicant, nor that your essays sank you (IF they did).

What would I suggest?
Get good help with all your application material (Resume, Essays, LORs and even the answers here and there). If your stats let you place your foot in the door (GMAT, GPA, UG, Languages,WE etc look great) a fresh perspective and a fresh presentation on you would definitely help a lot, especially if you can't sleep in peace without having made your best attempt.

Thanks for the reply, TheIvyLeagueEdge.

If I were to distill my concern into one thought, it's whether or not INSEAD will throw out my reapplication next month, as it hasn't been 12 months yet. I originally applied in Nov 2017, and apparently they suggest to wait a minimum year to reapply. I'd hate to waste my recommender's time like that if I submit next month, May 2018, and INSEAD were to just throw out the application.

I guess what I'm looking for is to see if anybody has had positive experiences in reapplying so soon, i.e. within less than a year.

Thanks again.
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Read our Verified Client Reviews on GMAT Club:
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi noktrnl,

to directly answer your question, yes, there have been positive experiences in reapplying in less than a year.

INSEAD recommends to wait at least a year to allow some time for you to have significant changes in your profile.

That being said though, INSEAD won't throw your application away just because it has not been a year yet.

If INSEAD is so important for you, I would encourage you to apply in the next round. However, this time make sure you get the professional help of an admissions consultant. You need a detailed "Ding Analysis" of your first application to find out how your essays affected your candidacy, and whether other pieces (e.g. resume and LoRs) had some negative impact as well. After this, you need to do some damage control and re-position yourself in the new application in such a way that (1) makes sense for the AdCom that you're re-applying and (2) highlights positive aspects of your profile that you were not able to highlight in the first application.

Feel free to reach out to me directly for a more detailed discussion.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Alex
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
:-)

Originally posted by Tvaexp on 15 Apr 2018, 21:21.
Last edited by Tvaexp on 16 Apr 2018, 06:55, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM