Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6119 [32]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [7]
Given Kudos: 61
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: In clinical trials of new medicines, half of the subjects receive the [#permalink]
Bookmarks
I am with A.. answer choice should pose some concern on the experiment itself if we don't know who is using placebo and who is using medication..

Sent from my XT1575 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: In clinical trials of new medicines, half of the subjects receive the [#permalink]
IMO A

B - As per this choice even the subjects given Placebo will show improvement as do the subjects given drug being tested. Therefore in such cases the experimenters will not clearly find out which subjects are actually being given the drug tested.
C - Subject being healthy volunteers is not relevant to the argument.
D - Duration of the trail is not relevant to the argument.
E - Requirements of the law is not relevant to the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 4: 740 Q50 V39
GRE 1: Q800 V630
GPA: 3.08
WE:Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
IMO A is the correct answer. Only this suggests that the experimenters will be able to know which group is on which medicine. Hence, the frustration.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
broall wrote:
In clinical trials of new medicines, half of the subjects receive the drug being tested and half receive a physiologically inert substance—a placebo. Trials are designed with the intention that neither subjects nor experimenters will find out which subjects are actually being given the drug being tested. However, this intention is frequently frustrated
because __________.

Which one of the following, if true, most appropriately completes the explanation?

(A) often the subjects who receive the drug being tested develop symptoms that the experimenters recognize as side effects of the physiologically active drug

(B) subjects who believe they are receiving the drug being tested often display improvements in their conditions regardless of whether what is administered to them is physiologically active or not

(C) in general, when the trial is intended to establish the experimental drug’s safety rather than its effectiveness, all of the subjects are healthy volunteers

(D) when a trial runs a long time, few of the experimenters will work on it from inception to conclusion

(E) the people who are subjects for clinical trials must, by law, be volunteers and must be informed of the possibility that they will receive a placebo

Source: LSAT

Half will receive the drug that is being tested.

Half will receive a placebo.

These clinical trials are designed so that BOTH the experimenters and subjects will be not know which group received the real drug.

The last statement begins with the word "however," so we can expect some sort of caveat or contrast with what we have read.

It's like "we try to live in this perfect idealized theoretical word where we do this and that. However..."

This however states that the intention is basically muddled because of something.

I would say this is a resolve the paradox/discrepancy type of question.

Answer choices:

A) This would complete the explanation as to why those intentions would be muddled! If it is true that sometimes the subjects that receive the real drug start developing symptoms that experimenters recognize as being side effects from that drug.

For example, lets say they want to drug a new workout drug to see how it works with weight loss. Lets say they include in this a chemical that is known to cause acne breakouts. The experimenters do not know which group was given the drug, however, once people start breaking out, this situation of who knows what can now be considered muddled.

B) This would be consistent with the experimenters not knowing which group received the placebo and which received the real drug.

C) Out of scope. We do not know what the intentions of these trials are.

D) Does not change the implications of whether or not those experimenters who started from the beginning now know which group received the placebo and which received the real drug.

E) This is applied to both groups. The experimenters will not know which group received the placebo and which received the real drug.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
broall wrote:
In clinical trials of new medicines, half of the subjects receive the drug being tested and half receive a physiologically inert substance—a placebo. Trials are designed with the intention that neither subjects nor experimenters will find out which subjects are actually being given the drug being tested. However, this intention is frequently frustrated
because __________.

Which one of the following, if true, most appropriately completes the explanation?

(A) often the subjects who receive the drug being tested develop symptoms that the experimenters recognize as side effects of the physiologically active drug

(B) subjects who believe they are receiving the drug being tested often display improvements in their conditions regardless of whether what is administered to them is physiologically active or not

(C) in general, when the trial is intended to establish the experimental drug’s safety rather than its effectiveness, all of the subjects are healthy volunteers

(D) when a trial runs a long time, few of the experimenters will work on it from inception to conclusion

(E) the people who are subjects for clinical trials must, by law, be volunteers and must be informed of the possibility that they will receive a placebo

Hello broall,

How can the intention be frustrated? This phrase just took me aback. Whatever i understood from the passage just didn't seem to be consistent with this particular line.
The source of frustration can be anything and i really don't understand how the intent can become frustrated.

Please throw some light on this. Because of this final line i just got mixed up between A and B because I couldn't exactly pin point the source of frustration.

Regards
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6119 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
gmatexam439 wrote:
broall wrote:
because __________.

Hello broall,

How can the intention be frustrated? This phrase just took me aback. Whatever i understood from the passage just didn't seem to be consistent with this particular line.
The source of frustration can be anything and i really don't understand how the intent can become frustrated.

Please throw some light on this. Because of this final line i just got mixed up between A and B because I couldn't exactly pin point the source of frustration.

Regards

Refer to fmik7894's comment. The improtant information is in 2nd sentence.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you broall .... i understood the mistake. .. outside knowledge was hampering my thought process.

Thank you once again !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 184 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
broall wrote:
because __________.

This is a double-blind experiment, for achieving the result that experimenters will NOT find out which subjects are actually being given the drug being tested.

I chose B, but I realized that A is correct. Experimenters will be frustrated because the reality will be revealed easily by the symptoms.

Great question!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [2]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
Kudos
broall wrote:
because __________.

(A) often the subjects who receive the drug being tested develop symptoms that the experimenters recognize as side effects of the physiologically active drug Ah..yes this may be frustrating for the experimenters as they would know the drug caused the side effects and hence the subjects who received it.

(B) subjects who believe they are receiving the drug being tested often display improvements in their conditions regardless of whether what is administered to them is physiologically active or notOpposite answer. That's a good reason why subjects wouldn’t be disclosed to the experimenters. So why would it be frustrating?:)

(C) in general, when the trial is intended to establish the experimental drug’s safety rather than its effectiveness, all of the subjects are healthy volunteersWhy would it then be frustrating for both the parties? :)

(D) when a trial runs a long time, few of the experimenters will work on it from inception to conclusionFew or more experimenters stay till the end does not explain why non -disclosure is frustrating for them

(E) the people who are subjects for clinical trials must, by law, be volunteers and must be informed of the possibility that they will receive a placeboYes, this shouldn't be frustrating for the experimenters or the subjects since if someone knows that MAY receive a placebo does not reveal who ACTUALLY did receive one.

Kudos please if that made sense :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
it is frustating, why?

because the exoected outcome or experiment is not following, given here:- experiment focuses that no subjects come to know what drug they are receiving but because drug shows its side effects and gets recpognised is frusteted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 678
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.3
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
I understand the reason for A, previously i thought it would be E because the option states that the subjects will know the possibility of taking placebo. Can anyone explain, isn't it possible to guess something after knowing the possibility..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
In clinical trials of new medicines, half of the subjects receive the [#permalink]
broall wrote:
In clinical trials of new medicines, half of the subjects receive the drug being tested and half receive a physiologically inert substance—a placebo. Trials are designed with the intention that neither subjects nor experimenters will find out which subjects are actually being given the drug being tested. However, this intention is frequently frustrated because __________.

This really is a nice hard question. I narrowed to A and E. Got it wrong by choosing E.

Was going through explanations and wondered, if we can dismiss options by saying - NOT discussed in argument.
I would say this is wrong way to dismiss/eliminate an option, especially when question says:
if true

jayarora and skywalker18,
Your explanations made sense to me especially in eliminating option E. Thanks.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
The key here is that the 'intention is frustrated'. The blank must explain why this is so by pointing to the fact that one or both parties are somehow aware of which treatment is which.

In clinical trials of new medicines, half of the subjects receive the drug being tested and half receive a physiologically inert substance—a placebo. Trials are designed with the intention that neither subjects nor experimenters will find out which subjects are actually being given the drug being tested. However, this intention is frequently frustrated because __________.

-CORRECT

-this is a trap choice...the subjects still don't know which drug is which

-irrelevant

-irrelevant

-irrelevant
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts