Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
My TOEFL experience in Denmark (TOEFL dårlig oplevelse) [#permalink]
The world is not a fair place, and as a person who wants to attend a business school, you should have realized that long time ago.
Moreover, ETS specifically states what the conditions are during the test. Nobody is forcing you to take it. Alternatively, you can take IELTS, as it is presented in a totally different way.
Do I find annoying the noise during listening part? Yes, absolutely, but I knew from the start what to expect.
During my test in 2016, I finished Reading and Listening first from my group. I had to wait till everyone else finishes the parts. Did I like it? No, I wasted about 1h of my time, but I had to play by their rules, cause I need to take the test, not them.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4559 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Re: My TOEFL experience in Denmark (TOEFL dårlig oplevelse) [#permalink]
Hi AlexVin,

I had the same awful experience - the other test takers were talking very loud, trying to overtalk each other. :D And yes, it's difficult to concentrate when a bunch of other people are trying to outcry each other.

You can contact ETS and try to get a free ticket though - chek out this post:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-toefl-exa ... ml#p994477

It is costly to sue ETS in my opinion. You'll spend your time and money and get nothing in the end. After all, all you need is a score.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: My TOEFL experience in Denmark (TOEFL dårlig oplevelse) [#permalink]
mvictor wrote:
The world is not a fair place, and as a person who wants to attend a business school, you should have realized that long time ago.
Moreover, ETS specifically states what the conditions are during the test. Nobody is forcing you to take it. Alternatively, you can take IELTS, as it is presented in a totally different way.
Do I find annoying the noise during listening part? Yes, absolutely, but I knew from the start what to expect.
During my test in 2016, I finished Reading and Listening first from my group. I had to wait till everyone else finishes the parts. Did I like it? No, I wasted about 1h of my time, but I had to play by their rules, cause I need to take the test, not them.

Dear mvictor,

I have been thinking much about your recent reply to my post, particularily the sentence that your started with.
I would like to urge you to consider my reply and actually take few days, to process it, before you would eventually reply again.

I agree with one of you statement, and that is: "Alternatively, you can take IELTS, as it is presented in a totally different way."

Would you agree if I would say that if there is no buyer, there will be no seller? Or rather - if there is no demand, there is no supply?

The world and particularily the systems, norms and regulations are governed by us, human beings, no external entities. It is only our decision to buy somthing or not, to create the demand or not. That is why I created this topic. For people, who are aware of the importance and power of their decision.

Rules are there to create an equal framework that would guide us to stride. Any rule that will fail to do so, is rather a rule that is prone to be detrimental and therefore needs to be changed. As everywhere in nature, we are responsible in our world to "adapt" the rules to the real needs, not just to comply and accept the "supply" with resignation.

How else could you imagine improving our world? (see my previous comment)
Or does this question generates such a repugnant throught, that you would insinuate it to be naive? I heard many people in my life without any hope that they could ever change somthing in this world. My answer to that is always: It is up to me and you! Only me and you! Always me and you! You and I create the demand or comply with what is being sold. If you do not like it, do not buy it. This means that you create a different demand, or you choose to support a different one, similar to your needs and values.

Let us have a look again at the sentence that you started your reply with:
"The world is not a fair place, and as a person who wants to attend a business school, you should have realized that long time ago." - Assuming that your have attended a business school, I am eager to ask: For how long (time ago) have your been practising business without being aware of the importance and power of our decisions? Isn´t this naive thouth a ubiquitous thought that is being implied in our societies and business groups, to repress and control opportunities that could spot weaknesses and give us a chance to improve?

To conclude with, I want to send my sincere congratualations for your perfomance at the test.
It is a pitty though that you had to waste 1h of your time and had had to comply with such testing conditions.

Reagrds,
Alex
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear Akela,

Thank you for your reply and the suggested link.
As you shared with me your sincere thoughts, I would like to share with you two of my favorite quotes:

1. "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

2. "“We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence of the good people.” - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

As you can imagine, I contacted ETS numerous times, to draw into their attention that the ETS TOEFL testing conditions contravene Danish, British and implicitly European Standards (DS/ISO/IEC 23988:2007 or DS/ISO/IEC 23988:2007, respectively). After many attempts of formal and concrete argumentation, they came to a consent upon my situation and fully refunded my testing fee, particularly under the constraint of no additional area/room for testing, which, according to regulations, I was entitled to request and make use of.

The most disappointing aspect would be, if they took my request as a complaint and superficially solved my situation, by refunding the testing fee.

Throughout the years, I learnt that solving the issue at the surface would not solve the core of the problem, neither the cause, nor the effects. Therefore the problem would buoyantly pop up repeatedly, as a shallow and empty buoy.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4559 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
AlexVin wrote:
Dear Akela,

Thank you for your reply and the suggested link.
As you shared with me your sincere thoughts, I would like to share with you two of my favorite quotes:

1. "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

2. "“We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence of the good people.” - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

As you can imagine, I contacted ETS numerous times, to draw into their attention that the ETS TOEFL testing conditions contravene Danish, British and implicitly European Standards (DS/ISO/IEC 23988:2007 or DS/ISO/IEC 23988:2007, respectively). After many attempts of formal and concrete argumentation, they came to a consent upon my situation and fully refunded my testing fee, particularly under the constraint of no additional area/room for testing, which, according to regulations, I was entitled to request and make use of.

The most disappointing aspect would be, if they took my request as a complaint and superficially solved my situation, by refunding the testing fee.

Throughout the years, I learnt that solving the issue at the surface would not solve the core of the problem, neither the cause, nor the effects. Therefore the problem would buoyantly pop up repeatedly, as a shallow and empty buoy.

Wow, I'm glad to hear you got a refund.

I hope more people will assert their rights as you did and force ETS to improve testing conditions. Way to go! (:
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4383 posts