Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [108]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 520 Q44 V17
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.45
WE:Research (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [2]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [3]
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [3]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: A long Journey ...... from 520 to 710 (V17 to V40) [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
askul2389 - V40 is phenomenal and a huge improvement from V17. Congratulations on the same. Also, your ESR is an interesting study. You did exceedingly well early on. You answered just one question incorrectly in the first 10, and probably 2 in the next 10 or so. But after that, you answered almost half the questions incorrectly and yet you ended up with a V40 - 91 percentile - on GMAT Verbal.

You had nailed your Verbal score by question #20 more or less. This just shows the importance of building ability rather than focusing on accuracy. You probably made 12 mistakes and still ended up scoring 91 percentile on GMAT Verbal. The key thing was that you did exceedingly well early on.

Congratulations and good luck for your journey ahead. Do let us know if you need help with the next stage of your MBA journey.

-Rajat Sadana
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [3]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Kudos
Bro congratulations again an amazing verbal improvement because of e-gmat . Even e-gmat helped me cross the 34-35 barrier to hit 40+ in my mocks and i finally got a 720 with a q49v40
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [2]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Wow.. This is awesome man.
To increase your score from a V17 to a V40(91st percentile) is an awesome feat.
Congrats on the score and wish you all the best for the applications.

I applaud your efforts to write that debrief and hope it inspires few of the test-takers who are on the verge of giving up!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3803 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Brilliant Improvement! Many congratulations on achieving this feet. could you please tell us How did you align the CATs in your prep, Which CATs did you take and what was your strategy of taking them along with the e-gmat course. Thanks :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Send PM
egmat wrote:
askul2389 - V40 is phenomenal and a huge improvement from V17. Congratulations on the same. Also, your ESR is an interesting study. You did exceedingly well early on. You answered just one question incorrectly in the first 10, and probably 2 in the next 10 or so. But after that, you answered almost half the questions incorrectly and yet you ended up with a V40 - 91 percentile - on GMAT Verbal.

You had nailed your Verbal score by question #20 more or less. This just shows the importance of building ability rather than focusing on accuracy. You probably made 12 mistakes and still ended up scoring 91 percentile on GMAT Verbal. The key thing was that you did exceedingly well early on.

Congratulations and good luck for your journey ahead. Do let us know if you need help with the next stage of your MBA journey.

-Rajat Sadana

Thank you very much Rajat and egmat team! It would not have been possible without your help and support!

I have already contacted your team for further information!

Thanks Again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [1]
Send PM
A long Journey ...... from 520 to 710 (V17 to V40) [#permalink]
Kudos
HKD1710 wrote:
Brilliant Improvement! Many congratulations on achieving this feet. could you please tell us How did you align the CATs in your prep, Which CATs did you take and what was your strategy of taking them along with the e-gmat course. Thanks :)

For verbal : I followed egmat scholaranium customized tests.

For Quant : I exhausted almost all gmatclub quant practice tests.

I used to give topicwise/sectional tests after completing theory of 3-4 topics.

Also, I gave 4 gmat prep full tests before exam.

If you want to know more, please feel free to PM me.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [6]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
A long Journey ...... from 520 to 710 (V17 to V40) [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Hi askul2389 , amazing improvement! I'm impressed with how you leveraged the scoring algorithm...you managed to score V40 with 10 questions wrong by performing very well on the critical 1st half of questions. Despite answering only 67% of counted questions correctly, you were able to earn a 91% verbal score by maintaining a medium-high question difficulty level throughout the entirety of the test.

Readers beware, however: Going from 15% to 91% on Verbal is possible, but highly unlikely.

1st quarter: 7/8 = 88% (1 wrong)
2nd quarter: 5/7 = 71% (2 wrong)
3rd quarter: 4/7 = 57% (3 wrong)
4th quarter: 4/8 = 50% (4 wrong)

For example, below is the opposite situation: a student who only answered 8 questions wrong, but who only earned a V35 (76%) because of his struggles in the 1st and 2nd quarters of questions.

The takeaway? Just as the first 10 questions on Quant are essential to scoring well, the first 20 questions on Verbal are essential to scoring well.

-Brian

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 05 Feb 2018, 20:55.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 06 Feb 2018, 13:05, edited 13 times in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [1]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
710!!! Is just awesome :-) Congrats!!! All the best for the application process.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Kudos
Bro, your quant score is good too. I am from a commerce background and really not good at quant. Can you please tell, once I'm done with all quant concepts , where should I practice quant questions from in bundle ?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi harshutd1993,

gmatclub has around 1800 questions, which, if I remember correctly, can be divided into 24 sectional tests. You can also customize the tests. I referred only gmatclub for my prep.

Moreover, recently, I heard about Math Revolution. One of my friend has used it and scored 49 in quant. You can check out reviews about it on gmatclub and other sites.

Also, one of my colleague had tried egmat quant. They also have wide variety of pool of questions. However many of the questions are too difficult to solve in 2 mins.

Hope this helps.

PM me if you need any additional information.

Regards,
Amol
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GPA: 4
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Hi askul2389 , amazing improvement! I'm impressed with how you leveraged the scoring algorithm...you managed to score V40 with 10 questions wrong by performing very well on the critical 1st half of questions. Despite answering only 67% of counted questions correctly, you were able to earn a 91% verbal score by maintaining a medium-high question difficulty level throughout the entirety of the test.

Readers beware, however: Going from 15% to 91% on Verbal is possible, but highly unlikely.

1st quarter: 7/8 = 88% (1 wrong)
2nd quarter: 5/7 = 71% (2 wrong)
3rd quarter: 4/7 = 57% (3 wrong)
4th quarter: 4/8 = 50% (4 wrong)

For example, below is the opposite situation: a student who only answered 8 questions wrong, but who only earned a V35 (76%) because of his struggles in the 1st and 2nd quarters of questions.

The takeaway? Just as the first 10 questions on Quant are essential to scoring well, the first 20 questions on Verbal are essential to scoring well.

-Brian
Hi Brian, doesn't 8+7+7+8 equal 30 questions whereas total number of verbal questions are 41? Sorry for deviation from your insight on this, it is a real helpful analysis....

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
arghyasenyil wrote:
Hi Brian, doesn't 8+7+7+8 equal 30 questions whereas total number of verbal questions are 41? Sorry for deviation from your insight on this, it is a real helpful analysis....
The ESR does not include information about experimental questions. At the time this test taker took the GMAT, the verbal section of the exam had 11 experimental questions (30+11=41). Now there are just 6.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
AjiteshArun you mean that on the new GMAT format there will only be 6 experimental questions in quant? Also how many experimental questions will now be in quant section? Appreciate the insight
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rocket7 wrote:
AjiteshArun you mean that on the new GMAT format there will only be 6 experimental questions in quant? Also how many experimental questions will now be in quant section? Appreciate the insight
The new format has a total of 9 experimental questions (3 in quant, and 6 in verbal). This is not including IR, in which the number of experimental questions has not changed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Read this through a newsletter. Amazing and inspiring story.

It is indend a pleasure to see the distance you covered while overcoming all the roadblocks. GMAT preparation sometimes prepares you for not just b school, but life. The ability to overcome challenges will take you places.

Good luck with the next steps. Thanks for sharing your story.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
@Amirso : Thank you very much for your kind words. Very rightly said : GMAT preparation sometimes prepares you for not just b school, but life. I am experiencing it now :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
askul2389 wrote:
My GMAT journey started in 2012 when, first time, I thought that MBA would be right choice to move into management role. So I joined a very renowned coaching institute in India. I assumed that just by attending all lectures and following methods, I would be able to achieve my dream score of 700+. I gave my GMAT in march 2013 and scored just 520 ! (Q44 V17 IR6 AWA 4). I extended my subscription and took additional lectures from institute. Along with coaching, I also purchased a few Manhattan books and online mock tests. After religiously studying for 4 more months, I again gave GMAT in October 2013 and got a miserable 530 (Q44 V17 IR5 AWA 4). After few years (4 to be precise), one of my friend told me how he improved his GMAT from 630 to 700. He explained his study approach and recommended e-GMAT Verbal Online. After brief discussion with him and few other colleagues (most of whom scored 740+) I devised my strategy and again gave GMAT in July 2017 and scored 710 (Q48 V40 IR2 AWA 5). Believe me if I can improve from 520 to 710, so can you!
As I see, a lot of non-natives are struggling to get 100 + point improvement. So, I have tried to explain about my study approach and the resources used for prep. I hope this would be helpful.

ABOUT ME:

I am a non-native mechanical engineer having 7 years experience in Oil and Gas field. When I started GMAT preparation, I was almost always confused between adverbs and adjectives & had no clue about verb-ing modifiers and verb-ed modifiers.

GMAT 1 : 520

I extensively used the coaching institute materials and their methods for SC and RC. I did not focus much on quant, since I thought being an Indian Engineer, it would be a cake walk.
The institute always emphasized on solving SC mathematically without understanding the meaning.
For eg.
Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with Europeans longer than Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska.

(A) in isolation from contact with Europeans longer than
(B) isolated from contact with Europeans longer than

1. Scan the options vertically and check the differences in starting and ending points of the options.
2. Compare any two options, apply basic rules and try to get rid of options without even reading the original statement.
3. After you get rid of 2-3 options, go to original statement and try to find out errors (if any) and then compare rest of the options and arrive at the final answer.
I think this method is more useful in IDIOM based questions. please keep in mind that GMAC is giving more emphasis on meaning based SC questions. Secret of cracking SC problem lies in its meaning.
I have specifically mentioned this method, since using this method blended with e-GMATs three step approach (which I have explained down) I achieved almost 90% accuracy in SC.
For RC, I used to skim through the paragraphs and make summary of them. I did not have any strategy for RC, CR and Quant. I just completed all questions from coaching institute’s materials.
I just gave two gmatprep mocks and scored 650 & 660 in them ( 30 % of questions were repeated. I had already solved the questions in practice material. I found actual GMAT very tough and scored just 17 in verbal.

GMAT 2 : 530

This time I took help of Manhttan SC, CR and RC guides. I finished all the books twice and started giving full mock tests.
I gave following mocks :
1. GMAT PREP FREE TESTS
2. 800 Score GMAT
3. Manhattan Tests
Since, I almost followed same study approach, I ended up scoring 530.

GMAT 3 : 710

VERBAL Prep:
After enrolling for egmat Verbal Live Prep, I did see enormous improvement in my verbal score (almost 8 to 10 points) in my mocks. All I did was I religiously followed methods explained in e-GMAT.

Sentence Correction:
The three step approach by e-GMAT is impeccable.
1. Read the statement and understand the meaning.
2. Try to find out all the errors in initial statement
3. Check each option statement and get rid of options by POE method.
With this method I was able to improve my SC accuracy from 40% to 80% in very short duration of time. In order to reach 90 %, I just replaced POE method with Point no 2 of earlier method (Comparison).
(Compare any two options, apply basic rules and try to get rid of options without even reading the original statement)

Critical Reasoning:
Prethinking approach of e-GMAT is mind blowing. I just followed this approach and I was able to solve most of the 700+ level (Assumption, Evaluate, Strengthen and Weaken) in two minutes. You can find more about prethinking from e-GMAT lectures.

Reading Comprehension:
I was very weak at RC since beginning. I followed following approach:

1. Read first paragraph and try to remember the crux of the para and author's stand on the issue. e.g :

The fact that superior service can generate a competitive advantage for a company does not mean that every attempt at improving service will create such an advantage. Investments in service, like those in production and distribution, must be balanced against other types of investments on the basis of direct, tangible benefits such as cost reduction and increased revenues. If a company is already effectively on a par with its competitors because it provides service that avoids a damaging reputation and keeps customers from leaving at an unacceptable rate, then investment in higher service levels may be wasted, since service is a deciding factor for customers only in extreme situations.

Crux : Unnecessary investment in services can be wasteful. (author = aligned/not aligned)

Repeat this for each paragraph.

This helped me in increasing accuracy of RC upto 75-80 %.

QUANT Prep:
For quant, I completely devised my strategy. This time I just followed GMATCLUB free book and online tests.
1. Complete a topic from Gmat Club book
2. Solve 50% questions from online tests ( You can customize the tests)
3. Repeat this for rest of the topics
4. Then solve Quant tests
Even though the difficulty level of questions in gmatclub tests is little high, but if you want to score 50+ in quant, try to solve all the examples of gmatclub tests. Believe me, it’s totally worth. You will see drastic improvement in your scores.

With all this, I was able to achieve 700+. I have attached my ESR for reference. If you want to know more about my prep, please PM me.
I learned a lot from GMATCLUB. Special thanks to this community!!

PS : This was written too hurriedly. So please ignore all grammatical mistakes.

Congratulations on your test scores! I hope the MBA app process has gone well for you!

Can you clarify what you mean when you say that you solved 50% of questions from online tests? Did you practice the customizable quizzes? Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts