Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Geometryx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23849 [42]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618817 [8]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 321 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: Quadrilateral RSTU shown above is a site plan for a parking lot in [#permalink]
aditi2013 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Quadrilateral RSTU shown above is a site plan for a parking lot in which side RU is parallel to side ST and RU is longer than ST. What is the area of the parking lot?

Given figure is a trapezoid, thus its area is SW*(ST+RU)/2=60*(45+RU)/2. So, all we need to know to answer the question is the length of RU.

(1) RU = 80 meters. Sufficient.
(2) TU = \(20\sqrt{10}\) meters. Draw altitude from vertex T to RU as shown below:
Attachment:
trapezoid.png
Since TX=SW=60 and TU = \(20\sqrt{10}\), then we can find XU. Therefore we can find RU=RW+WX+XU. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Hi Bunuel,

I am referring to a similar question in Sackmann's Challenge sets (as attached). At first it seemed a simple and a straightforward option D, but the solution (in spoiler) provided in the set says we do not know about the symmetry and hence we cannot use pythagoras theorem to deduce the base of the triangle. I am not sure if this reasoning is correct. Please advise.

Statement (1) is insufficient, but it does help. Knowing ST, combined with
the given length, allows us to use the pythagorean theorem to …and the length
of SW. However, that does no’t give us the entire length of RS unless we knew
the …figure was symmetrical, which we don’t.

Thanks.

Hi! aditi2013,

If you notice in question from Sackmann's Challenge sets, length of RO (if UO is perpendicular drawn from U) is not given. Because of which we wouldn't be able to calculate the length of one base.

Whereas, in question by Bunuel, length of RW is given for us to calculate length of base.

Hope I am able to answer your query.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 623 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
Send PM
Re: Quadrilateral RSTU shown above is a site plan for a parking lot in [#permalink]
Walkabout wrote:
Attachment:
lot.png
Quadrilateral RSTU shown above is a site plan for a parking lot in which side RU is parallel to side ST and RU is longer than ST. What is the area of the parking lot?

(1) RU = 80 meters
(2) TU = \(20\sqrt{10}\) meters

Area of Quadrilateral = \(\frac{1}{2}\)*(SW)*(ST+RU)
We have SW & ST - We need RU to solve for area.
Statement 1) gives RU. Sufficient
Statement 2) gives TU - Perpendicular from RU to T should be the same length as SW.
Using Pythagoras therom we can find RU = RW+ST+Ans of Pythagoras theroem. Sufficient.

Ans D)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 321 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Divyadisha wrote:

Hi! aditi2013,

If you notice in question from Sackmann's Challenge sets, length of RO (if UO is perpendicular drawn from U) is not given. Because of which we wouldn't be able to calculate the length of one base.

Whereas, in question by Bunuel, length of RW is given for us to calculate length of base.

Hope I am able to answer your query.[/quote]

Hi Divyadisha,

My query is about statement 1 , which gives us length of ST (we already have height). However, the official solution does not use pythagoras theorem to determine the length of the base, as it mentions that we are not sure about the symmetry.

I am unable to understand that part. Please refer to spoiler in my post and see if it can help to resolve my query.

Regards
Aditi
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Given figure is a trapezoid, thus its area is SW*(ST+RU)/2=60*(45+RU)/2. So, all we need to know to answer the question is the length of RU.

(1) RU = 80 meters. Sufficient.
(2) TU = \(20\sqrt{10}\) meters. Draw altitude from vertex T to RU as shown below:

Since TX=SW=60 and TU = \(20\sqrt{10}\), then we can find XU. Therefore we can find RU=RW+WX+XU. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Attachment:
trapezoid.png

Hi pushpitkc, hope you are having fantastic gmat weekend :)

this DS question and answers are clear, just want to solve to find XU

Since TX=SW=60 and TU = \(20\sqrt{10}\), then we can find XU.

so we we use pythegorean theorem

\(a^2+b^2 =c^2\)

let XU be \(a\)

\(a^2+60 =20\sqrt{10}\)

\(a^2=20\sqrt{10} - 60\)

can you please explain what am i doing here wrong ? :)
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM