Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: GMAT Day Mishap | Help with CR and RC [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Yugansh,

In another post, you stated that you took the GMAT today - but you did not include your Score. How did you score on the GMAT (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thanks Rich,

I scored Q48 and V34. Some of the questions you have asked are great. If you could share your email address, I will share my excel with you. In that, I have included all the details including sourced I have practiced, various scores and average response time per category. You will see how deeply I have tracked my performance. Don’t know why, I am unable to upload the excel here.

My target score is 740 (Q49+, V40+). I followed e-Gmat course religiously. I have practiced all MCATS, all GMAT preps, all OGs, all REVIEW guides and official 404QP. My GMAT prep score was 760; prior to that (700, 730, 700 - in the order). I have been studying for the last 6 months, everyday.

As regards goal, they will change as per the score!

Pls share your email so that I can over the excel. Appreciate your time and help.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
yugansh01 wrote:
Could you please guide which is the best resource to study CR and practice CR and RC 700 level questions? I have about a month before I sit for the exam. Any help / tips from experts would be much appreciated. Many thanks!
Do you want to look at bringing your SC average time down as well? You seem to be good at SC, and any time you save there will help you in CR.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1600 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
yugansh01 wrote:
Fellow members and Experts,

I am writing to seek your advise on how to best prepare and practice for CR and RC. As I work in banking, I do not have the luxury to go through the overwhelming material that is out there. Given adequate time, my GMAT prep %ile in both sub-sections (CR & RC) is above 80. The average time to answer the question is 2:30s (dubious). As you can see, I have the ability and just need to just bring the timing under 2 min while marginally improving the %ile. Have practised from e-GMAT so far. It is good, but timing is still a cause of concern.

Could you please guide which is the best resource to study CR and practice CR and RC 700 level questions? I have about a month before I sit for the exam. Any help / tips from experts would be much appreciated. Many thanks!

Best,
Yugansh

Hi,

IMO you should try e-gmat Scholaranium course that is really helpful to score high in Verbal. As you said, your accuracy is quite high in CR and RC, your focus should more on timing strategies.

You can search here. https://gmatclub.com/forum/timing-strat ... ml?fl=menu

It may help you.

QZ
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Yugansh,

At this point, I don't need to all of the data that you've archived during your studies, but I do need answers to all of my questions (and you did not answer them all). By better defining your overall goals (re: GMAT Score Goal, the Schools you plan to apply to and when you plan to apply), we can better define what you'll need to work on to improve AND the amount of time that you'll have.

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3801 [1]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bookmarks
yugansh01 wrote:

I am writing to seek your advise on how to best prepare and practice for CR and RC. As I work in banking, I do not have the luxury to go through the overwhelming material that is out there. Given adequate time, my GMAT prep %ile in both sub-sections (CR & RC) is above 80. The average time to answer the question is 2:30s (dubious). As you can see, I have the ability and just need to just bring the timing under 2 min while marginally improving the %ile. Have practised from e-GMAT so far. It is good, but timing is still a cause of concern.

Best,
Yugansh

Here is what that i believe will help for sure.

Do official CR questions from following sources:

OG10/12/13/15/16/17/18
verbal review
GMATPreps
Exam Packs
Question Pack
LSAT - https://gmatclub.com/forum/actual-lsat- ... 49447.html
MGMAT CR

Use this URL to pick a type of question or source or category or level:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags

With questions from these many resources, you would really need nothing else. Please understand that doing ton of questions will not increase the acuracy and reduce time.
It is the understanding of followings:

1. making of Argument
2. way to attack a question i.e your strategy for a type of question
3. POE
4. pattern recognition
5. Prethinking/Paraphrasing or say understanding the Assumption/s

So do not do second question until you know what all have you learnt from first question.

Follow empowergmat's strategy from here. It's all you need to understand the pattern:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-ve ... 29247.html

Also, GMAT uses real world logic, so try to learn personalise the argument technique by RON:

This is ALL you need. Once you are done visiting all the URLs provided above, start practicing from the sources given :)
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32881 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
yugansh01 wrote:

Best,
Yugansh

Hello

Best Book for CR= PowerScore CR Bible
Best Book for RC= Aristotle RC Grail

For Practice

The Official Guide for GMAT 2015-18
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2015-18
GMAT Club

Learn the Concepts from the books 15 days for learning concepts and 15 for Practice are enough. During you Practicing question don't forget to make an error log to track your weak areas after practice. Once you know your weak areas revise your Concepts related to those areas and do some more Practice

Top CATs for Practice

1. Official GMAC CATs
2. Veritas Prep

Good Luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Rich,

I have sent my ESR and other details to your official email id. Could you please review and let me know the feedback? Really appreciate your time and feedback.

Thank you
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Day Mishap | Help with CR and RC [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC mcelroytutoring Other experts
egmat
Could you please review my ESRs and Excel file, and let me know the study plan / resources I should follow to gain the ability to solve CR and RC questions in less than 2 min. My accuracy is good. Pls see the excel, which will supplement my ESRs.

ESR: 333343333 (new GMAT)
Note that I skipped I full big RC passage (4 questions in 20-30 question range). Further, I also skipped 1 SC question in 15-25 range and 36th SC question. Additionally, I had to guess 1-2 CR questions in 10-20 range as the level of questions became extremely hard and I had already spent c.2.5 min on them.

The other three RC passages were decent and I felt reasonably comfortable attempting the questions and am pretty sure they were right. Had there been some more time, I would have nailed the 4th passage as well. In GMAT Prep exams, I always used to score 80-90th %ile in RC whenever I attempted all the four RC passages, but less than 50% whenever I skipped 1 full RC passage. The same thing got replicated in exam. Initially I planned to skip 2 CR and 2 SC, but somehow I ended up skipping 1 full RC and 2 SC questions 

Pls help me. My target score is 740+ and my dream school are Wharton and CBS. I will be applying in R1 for sure and have about a month with me to work on my weak areas before I again sit for the GMAT.

Kindly let me know your feedback.
Attachments

GMAT Time Log.xlsx [103 KiB]
Downloaded 48 times

Yugansh Gupta_333343333_ESR.pdf [429.24 KiB]
Downloaded 47 times

Yugansh Gupta_303495553_ESR.pdf [431.87 KiB]
Downloaded 44 times

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Yugansh,

I've sent you a PM with some notes/suggestions based on this ESR.

Rich
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Hi yugansh01,

Thanks for the ESRs! However, I didn't need your ESRs to know your problem: you should aim to confidently answer all questions on the Verbal section if you want a great Verbal score. In other words, don't rush, "punt," or settle for a guess on any question, if possible.

Please note: I understand that the above is easier said than done, especially for non-natives.

Skipping 4 or 5 questions is very simply not going to cut it: in many cases, even just 5 wrong of the 30 counted questions on Verbal will drop you below V40. You have to train yourself to complete every question, to evaluate every answer choice, and to maintain the pace that the GMAT requires, no matter what.

-Brian
GMAT Club Bot