Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:05 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [3]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [2]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Re: Although Xanadu Sentinels fiercely guard the Imperial palace, [#permalink]
push12345 so you are saying when although is present in a sentence we should not use even or but in any other part of the sentence?

Also whats wrong with while also? Is it that since although is used in the sentence we cannot use while because although and while both are used to show with contrast or simultaneous action and using while will be redundant?

Also guys whats the IC (independent clause) in answer choice A? since the correct answer choice has to have an IC.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4543 [0]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Although Xanadu Sentinels fiercely guard the Imperial palace, [#permalink]
A. acting as security sieves and thus protecting Royal properties from either destruction or theft, they also facilitate - Correct

B. acting as security sieves and thus protecting Royal properties either from destruction or theft, while also facilitating - either from X or from Y. Parallelism error.

C. act as security sieves and thus protect Royal properties from either destruction or theft, while also facilitating - Not a sentence.

D. they act as security sieves that thus protects Royal properties either from destruction or theft, even though it also facilitates - Same as B + many other errors.

E. they act as security sieves to thus protect Royal properties from either destruction or theft, but they also facilitate - Redundancy errors. Also, we need 'and', not 'but'. 'they act and facilitate'.

Answer: A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
Rocket7 wrote:
push12345 so you are saying when although is present in a sentence we should not use even or but in any other part of the sentence?

Also whats wrong with while also? Is it that since although is used in the sentence we cannot use while because although and while both are used to show with contrast or simultaneous action and using while will be redundant?

Also guys whats the IC (independent clause) in answer choice A? since the correct answer choice has to have an IC.

"they also facilitate the opium trade in the rural hinterland." -IC
Director
Director
Send PM
Rocket7 wrote:

Yes
Although... But. Redundant
Although..even though Redundant

Although is for contrast.if u use while also in the same sentence u are simply stating one more thing wrt sentence whereas not the contrast..they also facilitate in option A correctly shows contrast.

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
rohan2345 wrote:
Although Xanadu Sentinels fiercely guard the Imperial palace, acting as security sieves and thus protecting the royal properties from either destruction or theft, they also facilitate the opium trade in the rural hinterland.

A. acting as security sieves and thus protecting Royal properties from either destruction or theft, they also facilitate
B. acting as security sieves and thus protecting Royal properties either from destruction or theft, while also facilitating
C. act as security sieves and thus protect Royal properties from either destruction or theft, while also facilitating
D. they act as security sieves that thus protects Royal properties either from destruction or theft, even though it also facilitates
E. they act as security sieves to thus protect Royal properties from either destruction or theft, but they also facilitate

Although Xanadu Sentinels fiercely guard the Imperial palace, acting as security sieves and thus protecting the royal properties from either destruction or theft, they also facilitate the opium trade in the rural hinterland.

Correct Answer must be (A) for the highlighted errors in other options...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
push12345 thanks for answering my question.

prashants412 thanks for the answer. But I have a follow-up question.

As you said that the IC is "they also facilitate the opium trade in the rural hinterland" Now this clause starts with a pronoun and it will not stand on its own if we take away the first part of the sentence. However, an IC needs to stand on its own without dependency on any other clause. So under this light how can we call " they also facilitate the opium trade in the rural hinterland" an IC because it needs another clause to make complete sense. Ill appreciate the input
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I eliminated A and B because I thought that acting is modifing "the imperal palace" which makes no sense. Can someone please explain why the modifier is fine?
Director
Director
Send PM
fallenx wrote:
I eliminated A and B because I thought that acting is modifing "the imperal palace" which makes no sense. Can someone please explain why the modifier is fine?

Acting as guards and protecting can only refer to sentinels not imoerial place.
It is showing purpose of sentinels in imperial place so it has to be used here.

Give kudos if it helps

Director
Director
Send PM
Rocket7 wrote:
push12345 thanks for answering my question.

prashants412 thanks for the answer. But I have a follow-up question.

As you said that the IC is "they also facilitate the opium trade in the rural hinterland" Now this clause starts with a pronoun and it will not stand on its own if we take away the first part of the sentence. However, an IC needs to stand on its own without dependency on any other clause. So under this light how can we call " they also facilitate the opium trade in the rural hinterland" an IC because it needs another clause to make complete sense. Ill appreciate the input

See independent clause refers that it has subject of its own.subject can be present in form of noun or pronoun.

U cannot say that pronoun cannot be there.main Crux of independent clause is that subject there will make complete sense.

Here in the above case with usage of "they" complete sentence is formed.

Give kudos if it helps

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1600 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
rohan2345 wrote:

A. acting as security sieves and thus protecting Royal properties from either destruction or theft, they also facilitate

B. acting as security sieves and thus protecting Royal properties either from destruction or theft, while also facilitating

C. act as security sieves and thus protect Royal properties from either destruction or theft, while also facilitating

D. they act as security sieves that thus protects Royal properties either from destruction or theft, even though it also facilitates

E. they act as security sieves to thus protect Royal properties from either destruction or theft, but they also facilitate

A. Although X Ss guard, they also facilitate XYZ

B. Although...,while

C. Although.....,while

D. Although Xanadu Sentinels fiercely guard the Imperial palace, they facilitate...., even

E. Although Xanadu Sentinels fiercely guard the Imperial palace, they facilitate
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts