Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [8]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-03-2015
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: 550 -> 730. Non-native with no Quant background. [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello!

Congratulations on the score.

You wrote that the changed test has more time consuming questions - are you referring to Quant or Verbal or both?

Your CAT scores were great, do you think this new pattern has effected your final score?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Pretz wrote:
Hello!

Congratulations on the score.

You wrote that the changed test has more time consuming questions - are you referring to Quant or Verbal or both?

Your CAT scores were great, do you think this new pattern has effected your final score?

Thank you!

Of course, it's an adaptive test and not everyone is going to get the same mix of questions, so my experience could be totally different to another person's. In my experience, Quant was identical to before, and Verbal was, too, but I could kind of see where some may have had some timing issues in Verbal. It really wasn't significant, though, and if you're comfortable hitting all question types within the usual recommended time-frames, you should be fine.

It's hard to say how much of an effect it had, but it's possible that it did. If it did, I'm sure it wasn't a huge effect. I didn't walk away from the test thinking that I had been studying for something different this whole time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 1422
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 3.77
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
GMAT 1: 730 (Q47 / V49)

Thanks for your post and congratulations on a great GMAT score. I believe, you meant to say V42 and V49 in your post above. All the best for your applications.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
rahulsehgal wrote:
GMAT 1: 730 (Q47 / V49)

Thanks for your post and congratulations on a great GMAT score. I believe, you meant to say V42 and V49 in your post above. All the best for your applications.

Fixed! Thanks! It was actually Q47 / V42
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
ya94

Congratulations on your achievement.

Your verbal score of V42 is really good. Is there any other practice questions apart from official questions you used for verbal ?

How do you rate the MCAT verbal section.

All the best for your aplications

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Congratulations on your excellent score! You mentioned you took your first diagnostic test in November. On average, how long did you study each day? Were you working during this time or did you devote your entire focus to the GMAT?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
akadiyan wrote:
ya94

Congratulations on your achievement.

Your verbal score of V42 is really good. Is there any other practice questions apart from official questions you used for verbal ?

How do you rate the MCAT verbal section.

All the best for your aplications

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you!

For Verbal
SC: Manhattan Guide
RC: Powerscore RC
CR Powerscore CR

If you're struggling in any one question type in the verbal section, the above resources worked best for me. Once I had internalised all of the lessons, I was much more comfortable in the verbal section.

MCAT Verbal was sort of accurate, and definitely good practice, but is only slightly different to the real thing imo. I mostly stuck to OG problem sets when reviewing verbal leading up to the exam.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jp28 wrote:
Congratulations on your excellent score! You mentioned you took your first diagnostic test in November. On average, how long did you study each day? Were you working during this time or did you devote your entire focus to the GMAT?

Thank you!

I am working full time 55 hours per week but I had enough privacy to study during my down-time. On average, I would say I studied anywhere from 1-5 hours per day. Some really uneventful days I would go up to 7 or 8 but I don't recommend that to anyone else. I think studying for 2 hours at a time with a break before another 2 hours and then stopping for the day is the most efficient way to go about it. After some time you stop retaining anything you're reading/doing. Everyone is different, though, so you have to find the schedule that you benefit from the most. I can only say that overdoing it is just as dangerous as underdoing it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
ya94 Thank you for sharing your journey! Really inspiring as I'm building up from a similar diagnostic score and with quant being a struggle as well.

Could you expand on what habits/study strategy/your mindset was like leading up to the 600-650 range, and what changes you made (apart from the new techniques learned in the course) that helped you start cracking questions successfully and confidently at the 700+ level?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
ya94 wrote:
jp28 wrote:

Thank you!

I am working full time 55 hours per week but I had enough privacy to study during my down-time. On average, I would say I studied anywhere from 1-5 hours per day. Some really uneventful days I would go up to 7 or 8 but I don't recommend that to anyone else. I think studying for 2 hours at a time with a break before another 2 hours and then stopping for the day is the most efficient way to go about it. After some time you stop retaining anything you're reading/doing. Everyone is different, though, so you have to find the schedule that you benefit from the most. I can only say that overdoing it is just as dangerous as underdoing it.

Which Manhattan Prep course did you take? The Live GMAT Course or the Interact On Demand Course? Although I understand the concepts and basics I seem to not be able to get over that hurdle in actual tests so I am interested in an online course. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
k0chi wrote:
ya94 Thank you for sharing your journey! Really inspiring as I'm building up from a similar diagnostic score and with quant being a struggle as well.

Could you expand on what habits/study strategy/your mindset was like leading up to the 600-650 range, and what changes you made (apart from the new techniques learned in the course) that helped you start cracking questions successfully and confidently at the 700+ level?

Thank you!

Leading up to the 600-650 range, I was just focusing on the actual quant content since I hadn't reviewed this stuff since high school. I was focusing exclusively on the actual math, reviewing algebra and geometry etc.

When it came to 700+ level questions, I focused more on question strategies, trying to pick which method to solve the question quickly and accurately, and trying to accurately guess when I didn't know what to do.

As for habits, you just have to put the hours in, you will eventually get there!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jp28 wrote:
ya94 wrote:
jp28 wrote:

Thank you!

Which Manhattan Prep course did you take? The Live GMAT Course or the Interact On Demand Course? Although I understand the concepts and basics I seem to not be able to get over that hurdle in actual tests so I am interested in an online course. Thanks.

I went with the Live GMAT Course, it actually ended up including access to the On Demand Course as optional homework. I totally recommend it, it was extremely useful for me.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey
Congrats on the fantastic score
Just trying to understand - what was your accuracy in verbal and quant on your GMAT prep tests?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
ya94 wrote:
jp28 wrote:

Thank you!

20-30 hours per week spent on the GMAT on top of your 55-hour work week is an incredible feast. I'd say you reaped what you sowed. Your hard work really paid off. Congratulations and good luck on your HSW applications! :-)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts