Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Parallelismx   Verb Tense/Formx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Re: Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and olde [#permalink]
Paul wrote:
A is the correct answer. This question is about the use of present vs past participle.
present participle is used to denote a present condition that still prevails
past participle is used to denote a completed action, usually in a passive mood

The sentence is definitely talking about the filigree:

filigree [of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles] spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest

What is b/w brackets is a prepositional phrase and remove it to make the sentence less cumbersome:

filigree spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest

As you can see, the filigree spawned by X some 10,000 years ago. This warrants the use of past participle. Also, "spawned by" denotes passive voice which justifies the use of past participle.
As for the "extending", it is still prevailing today in the Michigan forest so you cannot use past participle "extended".

The present and past participles are used to describe the "filigree", they act as adjectives.

How do you know it is still prevailing today? You do not have any reason to believe that except your general knowledge.
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Re: Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and olde [#permalink]
Expert Reply
manishk30 What do you mean? The sentence indicates that it is a currently living organism.

In any case, even if we imagined that the fungus used to extend further than it does now, there's no option for that in the answer choices. We'd need something like "which extended." Otherwise we are saying that someone or something "extended" it, and that doesn't make sense.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
manishk30 wrote:
How do you know it is still prevailing today? You do not have any reason to believe that except your general knowledge.

Hi Manish, extending does not mean that it is still extending.

extending is a participle. Participles do not have a tense of their own. So,

i) Present participle does not mean present tense
ii) Past participle does not mean past tense

Participles derive their tense from the main verb of the sentence. For example:

i) Michael is extending his leave - Present participle extending in a sentence that is in present
ii) Michael was extending his leave - Present participle extending in a sentence that is in past

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana explicitly mentions this aspect of participles. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Participle and Tense.pdf [10.5 KiB]
Downloaded 165 times

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
EducationAisle Well, that's true as a generality, but in this case it is still extending. The sentence is set in the present: the fungus is alive now, and its network currently extends through the soil of the forest.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello DmitryFarber, indeed and if you read my post, I mention that the participles derive their tense from the main verb of the sentence or the clause that the participle is a part of (which is is in this sentence).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
I got this one wrong.
As pointed out by other members we are paralleling modifiers here ie -ed and -ing. Hence, A is correct.
The issue with B is that it parallel's a clause (that is...) with a modifier (extending) which is incorrect.
Please correct me if i am mistaken.
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shahMeet As you say, we want "spawned" and "extending" (two modifiers). Therefore, we don't want "spawned" and "extends" (a modifier and a verb). There's no need to go looking for other items ("that is") to match "extends" with.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Hi egmat

Thank you for your insightful explanation.

Nevertheless, I still cannot see why are we eliminating b)

In your explanation you said "Choice B: extends: Incorrect. This is a verb and a verb cannot be parallel to a modifier." but the verb is parallel to another verb that is placed earlier in the sentence:

"A giant fungus that is"

So, in my opinion, b) would be a correct parallelism as it is logical that the two verbs are referring back to the subject Giant Fungus

What is the the giant fungus? An interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago

To what extent does it extent? It extends for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest

In my humble opinion, it is perfectly logical that the fungus extends for more than 30 acres as it is the largest organism in Earth and that way of understanding it does not change the original meaning of the sentence (or at least creates a confusion as both the interwoven filigree and the giant fungus extend for more than 30 acres).
Therefore, I would say that b) is an answer as correct as a) is, that it fits in the original sentence as well and that, in consequence, this question should be deemed void.

What do you think? Am i missing something?
Thanks in advance for your help!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
BunuelWannabe wrote:
Nevertheless, I still cannot see why are we eliminating b)

In your explanation you said "Choice B: extends: Incorrect. This is a verb and a verb cannot be parallel to a modifier." but the verb is parallel to another verb that is placed earlier in the sentence:

"A giant fungus that is"

So, in my opinion, b) would be a correct parallelism as it is logical that the two verbs are referring back to the subject Giant Fungus

Hi BunuelWannabe, you ask a good question.

Couple of reasons that tilt the balance against B:

i) The original sentence uses extending as a modifier, deploying the following parallelism:

..an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned....and extending....

So, in the original sentence, spawned and extending modify interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles.

Since this seem to be a very reasonable meaning, we can interpret this as the intended meaning of the sentence. That being the case, option B is changing the intended meaning of the sentence.

ii) Option B depicts parallelism between extends and is. However, notice how far these two verbs are, from each other. Hence, if the intent indeed was for these two verbs to be parallel, then a better sentence construct would be:

...a giant fungus that is an interwoven....and that extends for ...

The repetition of that (second that in the above sentence) would have made it very clear that both that are referring to a giant fungus.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Could someone help to explain why B is wrong?
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [3]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Leonaann wrote:

Hi Leonaann , please re-read this answer on the first page of the thread that explains why A is correct, as well as EducationAisle 's answer immediately above that explains why B is wrong. (I am assuming that you read the topic thread.)

Although the construction is relatively rare, it is fine for a noun [the filigree] to be described with a
-- past participle [spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago]
and
-- present participle [extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest]

Both participles are adjectives.

If you are still confused (as are many people when they answer the question -- see the stats), please state why you think that B should be correct. Many issues that involve B have been discussed, so it's hard to know what you do not understand. If I know what confuses you, it's easier for me to answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [2]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:
Leonaann wrote:

Hi Leonaann , please re-read this answer on the first page of the thread that explains why A is correct, as well as EducationAisle 's answer immediately above that explains why B is wrong. (I am assuming that you read the topic thread.)

Although the construction is relatively rare, it is fine for a noun [the filigree] to be described with a
and
-- present participle [extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest]

If you are still confused (as are many people when they answer the question -- see the stats), please state why you think that B should be correct. Many issues that involve B have been discussed, so it's hard to know what you do not understand. If I know what confuses you, it's easier for me to answer.

Please correct if I am wrong.

'Spawned' is modifying tenacles (it is acting as an adjective) and extending modifies tenacles (acting as an adjective).

The reason why extends is wrong is because this would mean that 'giant fungus is...' is parallel to 'extends' . So, here it is trying to modify the fungus instead. This parallel structure basically changes the intended meaning of the sentence right? We are supposed to modify the tenacles. That is why 'extending' is correct. Please clarify.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [2]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Leonaann wrote:
generis wrote:
Leonaann wrote:

and

Please correct if I am wrong.

'Spawned' is modifying tenacles (it is acting as an adjective) and extending modifies tenacles (acting as an adjective).

The reason why extends is wrong is because this would mean that 'giant fungus is...' is parallel to 'extends' . So, here it is trying to modify the fungus instead. This parallel structure basically changes the intended meaning of the sentence right? We are supposed to modify the tenacles. That is why 'extending' is correct. Please clarify.

Leonaann , you are very close! :)

• the modified noun is filigree
The sentence is in the footnote.
Both spawned and extending modify the noun filigree.

Filigree is used as a metaphor; filigree usually refers to an ornamental design in jewelry.
Here is a picture:
Attachment:
filigree.jpg
filigree.jpg [ 82.66 KiB | Viewed 4494 times ]

There is a giant fungus. The fungus is composed of mushrooms and tentacles that are interwoven.
The interweaving looks like a filigree.

This organic filigree is both ancient (spawned by a single spore some 10,000 years ago)
and huge (extending for more than 30 acres).

• Why filigree and not tentacles?

We are taught that a past participle (a verbED) such as spawned modifies the noun immediately before it.

But spawned and extending do not modify tentacles (or more correctly, "mushrooms and . . . tentacles")
because those two things are not the main noun at which those modifiers are targeted.
Mushrooms and tentacles themselves are modifiers of the main noun, filigree.

The two participles can "reach back" over the phrase of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles
because that phrase is an essential modifier of filigree,
and essential modifiers can come between a noun and another modifier.

The "of mushrooms and tentacles" phrase tells us what this filigree thing is made of.

Even a past participle can be separated from its preceding noun by an essential modifier.
So spawned and extending modify filigree

• EXTENDS?

(1) No. The word extends is a present tense verb that cannot be matched with a past participle. :x

(2) No. The only other present tense verb is IS.
extends would have to be parallel to is (the verb for the subject "giant fungus"),
I think my previous sentence is what you meant. A verb (extends) can't be parallel to a noun (giant fungus).

If extends and is were paired as verbs, we would not have real parallelism.
We would also have a hot mess of a sentence.*

Nice work. +1 Your analysis is good, and the confusion about tentacles is a small error.

*We don't have the sentence on this page of the thread. Here it is:
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
I have a doubt..where is the Verb for the subject "a giant fungus"...isn't verb missing for this subject
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mona10031990 wrote:
I have a doubt..where is the Verb for the subject "a giant fungus"...isn't verb missing for this subject
You're absolutely right: there is no verb for a giant fungus. We don't want one either, as that would lead to an error (comma splice).

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that...

A giant fungus lets us know what the largest and oldest living organism mentioned in the first half is. If we give it a verb, there would be only a comma joining two subject-verb pairs (scientists have discovered and a giant fungus + its verb).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Send PM
egmat wrote:
balajinaik wrote:
My answer is B.

I have always had an issue with this type of question. What i have found in GMAt questions is that in most cases like the one here, the question talks about many properties of a single item. In the process they mix the verb tense thereby confusing the subject.

This Q is a classic example of that. The scientists discovered the Fungi, the next 2 are properties of the fungi. hence extends is correct and not extending

Balaji

Hi,

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

It is imperative to understand the meaning of the sentence in order to get the correct answer. So let’s do that first. Scientists have recently discovered something that could be the largest and oldest organism on Earth. So what have they discovered? They have a discovered a giant fungus which has qualities that make the scientists believe that this fungus could be the largest and oldest living organism. What are these qualities? This giant fungus is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles. This fungus has been spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago. So this is why the scientists think that this fungus is the oldest living organism. The other quality that the fungus has is that it extends for more than 30 acres. This is the reason why the scientists think this fungus to be the largest living organism

After we have understood the meaning, let us evaluate the errors in the sentence. Now notice “spawned” is not verb here. It is verb-ed modifier that is presenting the quality of the giant fungus. In the very same way, “extending” is a verb-ing modifier that is also presenting another quality of the fungus. Hence, verb-ed modifier “spawned” and the verb-ing modifier “extending” are parallel to each other. Hence this sentence is correct as it is.

POE:

Choice A: extending: Correct.

Choice B: extends: Incorrect. This is a verb and a verb cannot be parallel to a modifier.

Choice C: extended: Incorrect. We again have a verb in the past tense that cannot be parallel to a modifier. Also the fungus is still extending. It is still there. So use of past tense is wrong anyway.

Choice D: it extended: Incorrect. Same error as in Choice D.

Choice E: is extending: Incorrect. This is a verb and a verb cannot be parallel to a modifier.

Hope this helps to understand why choice A is the correct answer.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,

Thanks for the explanation. A small doubt though.
Verb-ed modifiers normally modify the preceding noun, right? So it should ideally modify the noun 'tentacles' but it seems to be modifying filigree. Is it correct to assume in cases like these that the verb-ed modifier ignores the preceding noun if it's part of a prepositional phrase and goes back referring to the actual noun(tentacles)

Please help me understand this.

Thanks,
Myles
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dyogendrarao That's correct. As generis discusses above, noun modifiers can sometimes jump over other modifiers to refer to a previous noun as long as the meaning is very clear.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts