Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10012 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Guest Post: Why use an admissions coach? [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Guest Post: Why use an admissions coach?
By Kofi Kankam, Admit Advantage

Kofi Kankam, Admit Advantage

As we enter the season of your favorite schools releasing their applications, many of you may be asking a question we hear frequently: “Why do I need an admissions consultant to help get me in?”

You may be surprised to hear my response: “You don’t need one. But you probably would benefit from using a good one.”

Do you absolutely need a coat in the winter? Nope. But, you know that knowing smile that someone wearing a super-warm goose feather has in a full-on winter storm? That person is never unhappy. And applicants who use an exceptional admissions coach usually have that same smile of inner peace.

Seriously, here are few reasons to consider finding yourself a good admissions consultant to help you get on campus at your dream school.

Knowledge and Muscle Memory
A coach who has seen hundreds or thousands of candidates from a variety of backgrounds, professions, nationalities and perspectives can offer an applicant a true compass on effective structures of persuasion as well as ones that fall on their faces.

Knowing how to leverage stories, accomplishments and personal characteristics into a cohesive narrative across essays, letters of recommendation, resumes, and data portions of applications takes time. Good admissions consultants have built-in muscle memory you can tap into.

Honesty in Ways Nobody Else Has
Don’t expect your mother, your best friend, your partner or your Friday night crew to be critical (enough) of you in this process. Especially when they know the odds of getting into your dream schools are statistically tough.

But the honest critique of a paid supporter will compel you to address weaknesses that give you a viable shot at getting into your dream program as opposed to excusing blemishes that will likely keep you out.

While it can be hard to give objective and sometimes harsh (and accurate) feedback about someone you have known for awhile and care deeply about, admissions coaches have no such qualms. It’s not that we don’t love you. But tough love is our business. Literally. And administered correctly, it can be quite good for you.

Structure for Days
For days…a good…er…great admissions consultant will be equipped with a robust process that will exhume your finest points and mitigate your most crippling weaknesses. He will focus on how to harness the 20 minutes you have during a weekday, while giving you the undervalued ability to avoid writer’s block of any kind.

He will give you a compass (and a shove) to start along a well-lighted path and ensure you don’t falter or quit in the dark of indecisiveness.

How? Because the process will be outlined. It will have been architected before you even started. The good ones will know where you’re most likely to get a bit wobbly and they’ll be there to steer you through this period.

You’ll have peace of mind in the security that you’re putting your best foot forward in an admissions world of great opaqueness.

And the benefit of working in a modular manner with a leading advisor will help you be efficient and get your applications out to more programs for round one and round two alike.

Intuitive Knowledge, Personal Relationships
The base of inner knowledge on a business school program is three-pronged and quite helpful for you if used correctly.

Your admissions consultant likely went to a top-tier MBA program, has friends who are attending or are alumni of many of your target schools, and has placed candidates there.

So, she’s got a little “inside baseball” that can make your application more reflective of the culture and give the admissions committee more confidence that you’re actually going to matriculate if you’re accepted—and have an outsized impact there.

That foundation can yield a better result than your hours of looking through the website and speaking to a few current students a few weeks or months before you apply.

These reasons partly explain why great admissions companies like ours with AdmitAdvantage have consistently helped candidates gain entry into great MBA programs and often with scholarship money.

I’m not remotely stating that you need an admissions consultant to get into an MBA program. Walk away—in fact, run away—from anyone who dares engage in such stupidity. However, I am suggesting that the correct selection and usage of one can give you a decided admit advantage (see what I did there? So impressive) when you do make that push.

Think I’m crazy, insightful or just plain fascinating? Let’s discuss your admissions candidacy (or swap stories about the craziest thing you’ve seen in the admissions process).

Never Apply Alone.

Kofi Kankam is the cofounder and CEO of Admitadvantage.com and https://gmatclub.com/chat. An alumnus of Harvard (AB, MEd) and Wharton (MBA), he is excited to have paid off his loans before he turned 100 years old. A member of recruiting and leadership efforts for both universities, he is often found rooting on his Cavs and trying to re-assemble things he should have never dared taken apart before his wife finds out.

The post Guest Post: Why use an admissions coach? appeared first on The Consortium.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Consortium Connections – Taking it to the streets [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Consortium Connections – Taking it to the streets
Join us for a brief evening of networking to meet fellow alumni and the newest Consortium staff working in alumni relations.

THURSDAY, AUGUST 31

6:30 – 8:00 PM

We are teaming with our recruiting department to meet you – the pillars of our organization – in a city near you! Hear about what’s new with The Consortium and learn how you can get involved. First stop . . .

NYU STERN SCHOOL OF BUSINESS

Paulson Auditorium, Tisch Hall

40 West 4th Street at Greene Street, New York

Light appetizers and libations will be served.

Alumni RSVP

• Name*

First

Last

• Email*

• Phone
  • Consortium School*Choose OneUniversity of California, BerkeleyUniversity of California, Los AngelesCarnegie Mellon UniversityCornell UniversityDartmouth CollegeEmory UniversityIndiana University-BloomingtonUniversity of Michigan-Ann ArborNew York UniversityThe University of North Carolina at Chapel HillRice UniversityUniversity of RochesterUniversity of Southern CaliforniaThe University of Texas at AustinUniversity of VirginiaWashington University in St. LouisUniversity of Wisconsin-MadisonYale University
  • Graduation Year*Choose One20182017201620152014201320122011201020092008200720062005200420032002200120001999199819971996199519941993199219911990198919881987198619851984198319821981198019791978197719761975197419731972197119701969196819671966

The post Consortium Connections – Taking it to the streets appeared first on The Consortium.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Washington University students send video support to UVA counterparts [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Washington University students send video support to UVA counterparts
Consortium students at Washington University in St. Louis sent a video postcard showing support for their counterparts at the University of Virginia‘s Darden School of Business in the wake of last weekend’s violent clash between neo-Nazi white supremacists and counterprotesters—some of which occurred on the UVA campus.

Organized by class of ’19 first-year student Ony Mgbeahurike at the Olin Business School, the 3-minute, 28-second video also features seven other students: Jose Reynoso, Janell Cleare, Gheremey Edwards, Ricardo Mexia, Oscar Vasco, Bryant Powell and Jennifer Franklin—all first-year MBA students.

“If you need anything, hit us up and let us know,” Edwards said in his message of support and love.

The post Washington University students send video support to UVA counterparts appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Wells Fargo makes hire through Consortium’s alumni recruiting process [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Wells Fargo makes hire through Consortium’s alumni recruiting process
We’re pleased to let you know about another success in The Consortium’s “experienced hire initiative”: Wells Fargo has hired Consortium alumnus Martin Reavis for a position as community development credit analyst.

Reavis, a 2017 MBA recipient from the University of Rochester Simon Business School, worked through The Consortium’s Brian Wesley, assistant vice president for talent engagement, in order to connect with the Wells Fargo opportunity.

“Whether you have 20 years of experience and you’re looking for your next step on the career ladder, or you’re a young alum holding out for the right dream job to launch your career, we are here to help,” Wesley said. “We’re here to connect members of the Consortium family with great opportunities with our corporate partners.”

Reavis comes to Wells Fargo with extensive experience in commercial lending, credit risk management and community development and financing. He started in the position June 19.

The search was aided by Wells Fargo’s strong partnership with The Consortium—and involvement by another Consortium alumna, Fannie Pryce, relationship manager. Pryce is a 2010 MBA recipient from the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor Ross School of Business.

Reavis is yet another success for The Consortium’s experienced hire initiative along with Tyler Converse(Rochester ’14), hired by CVS Health, and Vasco Bridges (Michigan ’10), hired by Northwestern Mutual.

The post Wells Fargo makes hire through Consortium’s alumni recruiting process appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Breaking into tech with an MBA [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Breaking into tech with an MBA
This is a guest blog post by Will Nash, Dell’s product marketing manager and MBA recruiter. He’s also a Consortium alumnus from the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor Ross School of Business, class of 2012.

Many of the most successful and innovative companies in the world are within the technology industry. Tech companies are disrupting the way we live and need top talent to continue to compete and bring groundbreaking solutions to customers.

I’ve noticed that more MBA students are interested in pursuing a career in tech, but may be unsure how to proceed. Without a computer science or engineering degree, it may seem to be a daunting task.

You may be surprised to find out that you do not need a technical background to join a tech company. As a product marketer and MBA recruiter at Dell, I can tell you that tech companies need your diverse perspective and your transferable skills to make an impact in MBA roles across the business.

There are steps you can take to stand out, display your passion for tech and connect with the right people to be successful and break into tech with an MBA.

Have a Story
Even though you do not need to have a technical background to gain a role at a tech company, you need to have a great story and to be able to articulate why you are interested in tech today. Tech is innovative; cool will not do.

For me, I have always been a lover of all things technology and have focused my marketing and sales career on growing new product and business lines.

It’s up to you to connect the dots for recruiters and market yourself appropriately. Your interest in tech may have been sparked by a side project at work or through volunteer efforts. Perhaps you have always been interested in technology products and tinkered with computers as a child. Your story is your story and you should make sure it portrays your true interest in tech so it resonates with recruiters.

Do Your Homework
Which are the top tech companies to target based on your interests? What is their interview process? What business are they in and how do they serve customers? You have to do your homework and research the companies so you know who to—and so you can talk knowledgeably about their solutions.

It also helps to have a perspective on their business based on your research. In a marketing interview, you should not be stumped if asked a case question about their top tech product. Displaying your passion for technology will help you stand out and will demonstrate your interest in joining a tech company.

Use Your Network
Joining a tech company is competitive. You need all of the resources you have to gain connections and display your interest to top tech companies. You will have classmates, alumni or friends of friends who have worked at your target tech company. They can provide great feedback on their experiences to help you walk the walk and talk the talk.

Also, make the most of corporate presentations by tech companies and network with recruiters when they visit campus. The first time recruiters meet you shouldn’t be at a potential interview. Building a relationship is key when you are new to the industry and have a unique story. Set up informational chats as needed and mock interviews to practice your story. Be scrappy and leverage the power of your network.

After executing the largest tech integration ever, Dell continues to need top MBA talent across the business. We value all experiences and believe that your transferable skills and passion for tech mean more than a technology degree. Dell looks for collaborative candidates who are data-driven and operate well in ambiguity. Consider us as you explore this dynamic industry and take the steps above to successfully break into tech with an MBA.

The post Breaking into tech with an MBA appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Our 5 b-school students: Loving their summer experiences [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Our 5 b-school students: Loving their summer experiences
Drinking from a fire hose. Diving into the deep end. These are some of the experiences our five selected students had as they put aside their textbooks and attended to their summer internships between their first and second year of business school as a Consortium fellow. With a year of b-school under their belts, our five students loved their being trusted to be leaders in the organizations they worked for.

With these latest learnings, we continue our series following these students from the start of business school throughout the two-year process. We’re following Alejandro Bolívar-Cervoni (Washington University in St. Louis); Elva Garza (Indiana University-Bloomington); Tite Jean-Pierre (University of Rochester); Tazia Middleton (University of California, Los Angeles); and Tobby Yi (Yale University).

In case you missed it, here’s part one of the series as they began business school (from Sept. 27, 2016); part two as they adjusted to the rigors of their programs (from Dec. 1, 2016); and part three as they were about to start their summer internships (on March 30, 2017).

And what did our five students do during their summers? Elva worked with the global marketing team at Starbucks (a Consortium corporate partner) in Seattle. Taziahad a summer consulting position at The Boston Consulting Group in San Francisco. Tite was an associate brand manager intern with Mars Inc. in its pet care division in Nashville. Alejandro was a brand management intern for SC Johnson & Son (another Consortium corporate partner). And Tobby worked in consulting for McKinsey & Company in San Francisco.

Here’s what we wanted to know after they finished their summers.

How was your summer experience like what you expected? How did it depart from what you expected?
Tite said her first year of business school prepared her well for her brand management internship at Mars Inc., where she worked on Greenies Pill Pockets, treats for dogs and cats. Her education, combined with networking with her Consortium community and “coffee chats” with other brand managers helped prepare her, “albeit, the first few weeks definitely felt as if I was drinking through a fire hose in getting up to speed.”

Elva at a coffee tasting during her Starbucks internship. (Courtesy Elva Garza)

Elva said the opportunity allowed her to flex muscles she didn’t know she had—both intellectual muscles as she built her “marketing intellect” and physical muscles. “What I didn’t know is just how much fun I would have in the process,” she said. “I truly made it a point to immerse myself in the Starbucks and Seattle culture by attending frequent coffee tastings and going on hikes I never thought I could do.”

Tazia wasn’t expecting how quickly the summer job would ramp up: She received her assignment on a Thursday, briefed herself on the industry over the weekend and boarded a plane from San Francisco to Houston at 6 a.m. on Monday to get started with the client.

What was the highlight of your summer experience? Something you’re particularly proud of accomplishing?
Tazia organized a half-day workshop for a client. Tobby presented to C-suite clients. Elva felt her value to the organization in the way she was able to engage with senior leaders at Starbucks.

“I also loved the amazing support I received from the CGSM alum at the organization,” she said. “It’s nice to see our network in practice.”

Tite worked on a brand guide for the product she was assigned. Her work provided the guidance for the creative agency, which presented its concepts a few weeks later, after several updates, follow-up meetings and email exchanges.

“I was floored,” she said. “It was exactly what I would have made if I had the creative juices that the masterminds and left-brained folks did. I remember walking out of that meeting beaming with joy and a great sense of accomplishment.”

What did your summer experience teach you about your professional goals?

West coast celebration event for Yale interns during Tobby’s internship at McKinsey & Co. (Courtesy Tobby Yi)

“I walked away from this summer with a better understanding of the impact I can have in the future and understanding that problems can be further broken down into more digestible pieces,” Tobby said. “Shoot for the stars, but build the rocket first.”

Across the board, their internships reinforced for our students that they were on the right path. “It gave me more confidence in this journey that I chose to embark on and motivation to keep working hard towards my goals,” Tite said.

For Tazia, it also reinforced that she’s up to the challenges presented by her chosen career path. “I enjoyed the challenge of throwing myself into something new and delivering key insights to the client on a tight deadline. I know that throughout my career it will be important for me to have both client engagement and interesting problems to solve.”

In what ways has your summer experience prepared you for your final year of business school?
As a practical matter, the summer at Starbucks showed Elva she needs (and wants) to become better versed in analytics and finance—coursework she’s focused on now.

The summer also gave Tazia the confidence to stretch as she entered her final year of b-school. “It might be tempting to select classes that are within my comfort zone,” she said. “My internship experience helped spark the curiosity and confidence to explore unfamiliar subject matter.”

Tobby now considers how to apply the 80/20 rules to his coursework: “The amount of energy we apply to accomplish perfection has marginal returns,” he said. “With one more year to do everything I want to accomplish before returning to the real world, I’ll have to let go of the FOMO.”

How does the start of Year Two feel different from the start of Year One?

Alejandro in Mexico City. (Courtesy Alejandro Bolivar-Cervoni)

After traveling to his sister’s graduation from American University, taking a trip to Mexico City and his internship, Alejandro’s Year Two culminates a process that helped him focus his career interests. Marketing was his focus, but having some real-world experience has helped him pare down choices for industries and project function and role.

“I have also relished the opportunity to mentor incoming MBA students at Washington University,” he said. “I helped many new members of our Consortium class prepare for their Orientation Program, sharing those best practices that worked for me (namely beginning resume preparation early and gaining industry perspectives by connecting with university alumni).”

Tazia and others echoed that feeling of help for other students while feeling the same anticipation and excitement for Year Two as she did for Year One. The difference? Knowing what to expect and the ability to “help others looking to follow a similar path.”

“It’s pretty liberating, but it’s not all rainbows and butterflies,” Tobby said. “I only have one more year left of this incredible journey.”

The post Our 5 b-school students: Loving their summer experiences appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
McCombs alumna promoted to president at General Mills [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: McCombs alumna promoted to president at General Mills
Carla Vernon, McCombs (’98) Consortium alum, has been recently promoted to president of General Mills’ Annie’s operating unit. It’s no surprise to those who know her and have worked with her during her career. Her impressive resume speaks to the intentional moves she has made to reach the upper echelons of General Mills.

The nearly 30-year brand is now a leader in the natural and organic food market. Acquired by General Mills in 2014, it is best known for its macaroni and cheese product line, but also offers crackers, fruit snacks, frozen pizza and condiments.

John Foraker, Carla’s predecessor, said, “Carla is a purpose-driven leader who will maintain the culture and authenticity of the Annie’s operating unit, and help the broad enterprise continue its journey to become the most dominant CPG player in natural and organic across North America.”

We are immensely proud to call Carla one of our own and wish her the best in her new role.

The post McCombs alumna promoted to president at General Mills appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Seattle Chat and Chew [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Seattle Chat and Chew

This past September in Seattle, the local chapter hosted a happy hour to gather the alums together and welcome the new class of Consortium graduates. The new class of alumni did not hesitate to introduce themselves to tenured alumni, and it was truly inspiring to welcome their fresh talent and motivation. While Seattle is a younger alumni contingent, this event reinforced the passion the chapter has to strengthen the Consortium legacy post-graduation.

Consortium Alumni Affairs generously sponsored the event, which not only connected alumni with one another, but also triggered ideas for events in 2018! Speaking of, see below for those event ideas.

• Consortium Dinner/Fundraising Event – just like Consortium has supported us, we can do the same
  • “Night Shift” – a Seattle event where local DJs perform, and alums join in and bust a move
  • Community Service event
  • Boat Gathering on Lake Union or Washington – great for during the beautiful summertime!
The Seattle Consortium Chapter sincerely thanks Consortium Alumni Affairs and Adrienne Thomas for helping create this memorable occasion, and looks forward to what 2018 has in store!

“Being connected to CGSM post-graduation has been such a blessing as I embark on my new career at Starbucks in a new city. I really appreciated being welcomed to the Seattle chapter and meeting new Consortees from various years and companies. The number of members we have as well as the energy to initiate events to connect and give back is so exciting! Thank you, Jessica and Marco for organizing, and CGSM, for supporting ongoing development of our community beyond the MBA program.”

~ Christina Markle DeCoudres (USC, 2017)

This post was contributed by Marco Ramirez.

The post Seattle Chat and Chew appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
National Philanthropy Month [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: National Philanthropy Month
November is National Philanthropy Month at The Consortium. We will celebrate the commitment of students, alumni, staff and friends who reflect the highest spirit of philanthropic generosity and leadership. Specifically, we hope to create awareness of the impact – individually or collectively executed – philanthropic deeds can create.

CGSM Staff on #GivingTuesday, Nov. 29, 2016.

Last year, we embarked upon our first-ever #GivingTuesday campaign, a global day of giving fueld by the power of social media and collaboration. Celebrated on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving, it kicks off the charitable season. We were modestly successful, having raised $7,500 in a single day.

This year, our emphasis has expanded. Although we will request donations on #GivingTuesday, November 28, 2017, we are emphasizing charitable acts, too. Consortium staff are participating in a service project. Our student fellows will choose a local community charity and render an act of kindness through their volunteer services. Watch our social media pages for recaps and pictures.

How can YOU get involved?

• Be an advocate. Tell your family and friends about CGSM and encourage them to give.
  • Make a meaningful donation. Your financial support furthers our mission to increase underrepresented minorities in business school and Corporate America.
  • Perform a random act of kindness during November in your community. Recap your participation here and we’ll track volunteer hours, too.
Post or tweet about your participation. Let’s go viral! #GIVINGTUESDAYCGSM2017

The post National Philanthropy Month appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kelley Wins 1st Place at Case Competition [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Kelley Wins 1st Place at Case Competition
Congratulations to Indiana University for placing first in the Carlson Elite 8 Brand Management Case Competition! Kelley MBA ’18 Candidate Tyler Whitsett (3rd from the left) was part of the five-member winning team. There were a total of eight participating schools in the competition, five of which were Consortium member schools: UCLA (Anderson), Berkeley (Haas), Michigan (Ross), University of North Carolina (Keenan-Flager) and Indiana University (Kelley). Kudos to UCLA Anderson and Berkeley Haas who placed second and third, respectively.

This post was contributed by alumna Erica Smith, Kelley ’17

The post Kelley Wins 1st Place at Case Competition appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
#GivingTuesday Service Projects [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: #GivingTuesday Service Projects

CGSM Fellows at Tepper School of Business volunteered with the Islamic Center of Pittsburgh in Oakland for a food pantry event on November 18, 2017. We had a number of our members stationed on different sides to provide food to families in need and help clean. We also had a number of other members taking meal orders and helping to carry boxes for people who were disabled or people who had a lot to carry. This event was amazing because we got together as a group to help families who weren’t as fortunate as some of us are. Many of the people who came didn’t have jobs and needed food to feed their families. It’s always important to give back!

Submitted by Jassum Gloster, Tepper ’18

On Friday, November 17, Consortium students from Georgetown’s McDonough School of Business volunteered at the Capital Area Food Bank. They helped sort and package donations. The CAFB works with a network of 500 partner agencies to source out over 40 million pounds of food. Our CGSM fellows were tasked with sorting food into different categories, packaging nonperishable items, and readying boxes for distribution. The day was a big success; John became an expert at sorting green bean cans from the assembly line! We also met some practitioners from PwC, who were also attending the event. Overall, it was a great experience and our fellows had a great afternoon bonding with each other, other volunteers, and CAFB employees.

Submitted by Barret Mueller, McDonough ’18

The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management joined the #GivingTuesday movement by partnering with The Little Bit Foundation to serve the students in the St Louis area. After holding a underwear drive for four weeks, Consortium staff and Olin Fellows stocked the items in the warehouse.  Next, we went out to the schools and were personal shoppers for the students. “It’s not how much we give, but how much love we put into giving that counts.” –Mother Teresa

Submitted by Karen Green, CGSM Staff

The post #GivingTuesday Service Projects appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Consortium students featured in Cornell update on diversity initiative [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Consortium students featured in Cornell update on diversity initiatives
Cornell University’s Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management has featured two members of The Consortium family in a detailed feature about the school’s diversity efforts — and how involvement with one of those organizations brought them together.

Peter Ferrara (Cornell ’19) and Jorge Garcia (Cornell ’16) are active participants in the Toigo Foundation program to support underrepresented minorities. Both are also members of The Consortium, which has counted Cornell among its member schools since 2009.

In its Jan. 10 blog post, Cornell noted the bond the two men formed through their association through Toigo. “Not only do you have access to your own business school’s network and resources,” Ferrara told Johnson’s blog, “but you also have access to the networks all over the country where the foundation has fellows and alumni.”

Consortium alumni widely report a similar effect through their membership—the ability to instantly create a wide-ranging network within and beyond the school they attend. Since its founding in 1966, The Consortium has grown from three to 19 member schools. Cornell was the 16th school to join The Consortium.

When Ferrara initially got involved with Toigo, Garcia — a Cornell admissions ambassador and investment banking associate at Citigroup in Manhattan — reached out to Ferrara to offer support and guidance.

According to the Cornell article, the two became friends as Garcia continued to give Ferrara insight about the process of recruiting in investment banking and ways to leverage and build his Cornell network.

“I know that it can be overwhelming when you’re first starting out,” Garcia told the SC Johnson blog. “I let Peter know that I am always available whenever he needs something.”

Read more about Cornell’s D&I involvement as well as Garcia’s and Ferrara’s involvement with Toigo on the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management blog.

Pictured above: Left, Peter Ferrara; right, Jorge Garcia.

The post Consortium students featured in Cornell update on diversity initiatives appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
McKinsey report reinforces (again) link between diversity and company [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: McKinsey report reinforces (again) link between diversity and company performance
Consortium corporate partner McKinsey & Company has released a new report further affirming the link between a company’s financial performance and its commitment to diversity and inclusion.

McKinsey’s latest research, released in a 40-page January 2018 report entitled “Delivering through Diversity,” measured the likelihood that a company’s financial performance would outperform others with lesser commitments to diversity and inclusion.

In the report’s summary, McKinsey reported a contrast between its results from a similar report using 2014 data and its analysis of 2017 data. The firm compared diversity efforts in gender as well as ethnic and cultural diversity.

“In the original research, using 2014 diversity data, we found that companies in the top quartile for gender diversity on their executive teams were 15 percent more likely to experience above-average profitability than companies in the fourth quartile. In our expanded 2017 data set this number rose to 21 percent,” McKinsey reported.

In terms of ethnic and cultural diversity, the numbers were higher: 35 percent more likely in 2014 versus 33 percent more likely in 2017.

McKinsey also found that there is a “penalty for not being diverse on both measures.” Thus, full diversity across multiple dimensions is more rewarding to the bottom line than singling out gender diversity, or ethnic diversity.

“In our 2015 report, our hypotheses about what drives this correlation were that more diverse companies are better able to attract top talent; to improve their customer orientation, employee satisfaction, and decision making; and to secure their license to operate—all of which we believe continue to be relevant,” the report said.

Read the full details from the McKinsey website, or review these media reports about McKinsey’s research:

Pictured above: Members of The Consortium class of 2019 gathered in Atlanta at the Orientation Program before the Schoen Dinner.

The post McKinsey report reinforces (again) link between diversity and company performance appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
The Consortium’s story, celebrated by Washington University in St. Lou [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: The Consortium’s story, celebrated by Washington University in St. Louis
In a detailedstory for the alumni magazine of Washington University in St. Louis, readers learned the background and history of The Consortium through the eyes of some of its most dedicated alumni who participated during the decades of the 2010s, the 2000s, the 1980s and the 1970s.

“It was my obligation to come back and communicate that this wasn’t just about going to school for business,” Leroy Nunery (WashU MBA ’79) said in the article, as he described returning to campus to encourage future MBA students. “It’s about shaping a society based on your presence.”

Today, Nunery runs his own education consulting firm in Philadelphia. In 1977, he was part of The Consortium’s 10th class of students as a first-year MBA student at Washington University.

The three-part article focuses on The Consortium’s mission and how it began; five alumni who credit their success in part to their association with The Consortium; and Sterling Schoen, the WashU business professor who had the vision and founded The Consortium in 1966, along with his wife, Patricia Schoen, who stood by him through its early life. Pat Schoen died a year ago.

The piece is a lovely Valentine’s Day gift to The Consortium. Read more here.

Pictured above: Candace Armour, founder of Epic Fab Girl, a 2014 WashU MBA graduate and a member of The Consortium.

The post The Consortium’s story, celebrated by Washington University in St. Louis appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Magnia’s many Consortium roles: Student, partner, board member [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Magnia’s many Consortium roles: Student, partner, board member
Among members of The Consortium community, Dan Magnia holds a special distinction.

In 2008, he became a Consortium fellow and an MBA candidate at Dartmouth’s Tuck School of Business. The following summer, he went to work as an intern for Danaher, which, at the time, was not a Consortium corporate partner.

A year after that, Magnia went to work full-time for Danaher and, while working as a leader in university relations for the company, helped to lay the groundwork for a corporate partnership with The Consortium that came to fruition in 2015, when now Vice President for Global Diversity & Inclusion Ernest Adams pushed it over the finish line.

Meanwhile, Magnia has served as the alumni representative on The Consortium’s board of trustees since 2015—alongside Adams, who is a corporate representative on the board. And when Danaher spun off Fortive as a separate company in 2016, Magnia became its director of corporate human resources and helped to forge a partnership between the new company and The Consortium.

“Danaher had seen a lot of returns from the relationship with The Consortium,” Magnia said. “The opportunity to gain similar returns continued to present itself as a strategic initiative for Fortive.”

Student. Active alumnus. Corporate partner. Recruiter of new corporate partners. Board member. Magnia has worn a wide variety of hats as a member of The Consortium community.

Introduction to The Consortium
Magnia first heard about The Consortium from a cousin—Otto Petty—who was an alumnus of Indiana’s Kelley School of Business. Magnia was coming off a seven-year tour in the U.S. Army and was interested in business school.

“I distinctly remembered him telling me to set my sights a lot higher than they were. He told me to research the Consortium,” Magnia said. With a military career, he’d never interviewed for a job. He’d never had to network or worry about being recruited for a job. He had never really been exposed to corporate America.

Getting into Dartmouth and The Consortium was a great accomplishment—but just the start of a journey that began with the Orientation Program & Career Forum. “I was blown away by the sheer number of opportunities afforded to Consortium members,” he said. “I was certainly not prepared for OP.”

Now, he urges new students to approach OP as a time of exploration and to chase experiences rather than job titles. “That’s something I really strive to convey to incoming students,” he said. “I took it as an opportunity to explore. I did interview, but by no means was I confident in what I really wanted nor what kind of company I wanted.”

Student Perspective
He says he feels fortunate the represent the student perspective on the board of trustees. At the same time, he watched Danaher yield tremendous results by beginning relationships at OP with incoming MBA students who later became interns and, eventually, full-time hires. Magnia saw similar prospects during Fortive’s first year as a Consortium corporate partner.

One big challenge is finding ways to distinguish Fortive’s business model and culture from Danaher’s.

“With that goal in mind, we were largely successful by finding ways to engage with Consortium students on a more intimate level,” Magnia said. “We have been very pleased with the results of our first OP. We’ve extended 14 offers to students. I’m confident we’ll yield the majority of them with the intentions of converting them into full-time hires.”

Now, with his sights still set high, Magnia continues to chase experiences with the goal of leading a company—a goal he suspects is within reach, thanks to the opportunities he’s gained through The Consortium, Danaher and Fortive.

“Danaher and Fortive have allowed me to prove myself,” he said. “A lot of what a CEO or a business owner does is solve people problems. What makes me a more effective HR leader is that I’ve come up through this business.”

Pictured above: Dan Magnia—alumnus, student, board member and corporate partner of The Consortium—speaking to students at the 2015 Orientation Program in Phoenix. Photo by Brian Treffeisen.

The post Magnia’s many Consortium roles: Student, partner, board member appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Following our 5 students: Opportunity, travel and gratitude [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Following our 5 students: Opportunity, travel and gratitude
Our students got a chance to refine their career focus. They got to branch out and start giving back to other students through their other work on campus. Most traveled overseas for leisure or for global business school experiences.

In fact, two of our five students—Alejandro Bolívar-Cervoni (Washington University in St. Louis) and Tite Jean-Pierre (University of Rochester)—met for the first time during an MBA exchange program in Germany.

“Over the past year and a half, we had followed each other’s own professional growth without having met in person,” Alejandro said. “When we finally connected in Germany for class, it was as if I was connecting with a long-lost cousin.”

With another Consortium Orientation Program just a few months away, and a fresh class of students about to begin business school, this is the last in our series of blog posts following five members of the class of 2018. They started at OP in St. Louis in June 2016. We’ve been following Alejandro; Elva Garza (Indiana University-Bloomington); Tite; Tazia Middleton (University of California, Los Angeles); and Tobby Yi (Yale University), who was unable to participate in this last installment.

How was the first semester of your second and final year in business school? Was it more or less difficult than you expected? Why or why not?

Tazia Middleton (right) with classmates at UCLA Anderson.

Tazia’s response was not unlike what her fellow class members at other schools reported: “The first semester of my second year was great because I could focus my energy in the areas that were most important to me. Having already completed a lot of my graduation requirements, I chose to take classes that aligned with my interests and dedicate my free time to leadership activities.”

Alejandro took a part-time job at WashU, consulting in the career center by helping students with mock interviews and editing cover letters and resumes. Elva made sure she hit as many guest lectures as possible, taking advantage of being a student.

“This was when I really started getting to work and had the opportunity to impact change with some of the organizations that I took leadership roles in,” Tite said.

To what degree are you preoccupied at this point with finding a job after graduation? Have you already found one? Can you talk about it? If not, how are you feeling about where things stand right now?
Tite and Alejandro are in the process of weighing some opportunities. Meanwhile, Tazia and Elva (pictured at top) were offered—and have accepted—full-time jobs at the places they worked over the summer as interns: Tazia at Boston Consulting Group and Elva at Starbucks.

“I have identified key factors in my job-hunting process: coaching and mentorship; location in a large city; and career progression,” Alejandro said. “I have been very grateful to Olin alumni, who despite their busy schedules, have made time for me to chat with them about their day-to-day roles and about the corporate cultures across their companies and departments.”

What has been the most rewarding part of your business school experience up to this point? Why?

Alejandro Bolivar-Cervoni (WashU) traveling in Lisbon, Portugal.

“There is not enough space to talk about this,” Elva said. “I would have to say it’s the people I have met along the way, new lifetime friends, professional connections and inspiring industry leaders. Oh! And traveling!”

Tite made note of the travel as well. Her program at Rochester gave her opportunities to visit Israel, South Africa and Germany. Likewise, Alejandro is spending his spring 2018 semester studying abroad at WHU Otto Beisheim School of Management in Dusseldorf, Germany. He also traveled to Moldova and Kazakhstan.

“I was interested in studying abroad because in today’s increasingly globalized environment, a deeper understanding of other business cultures is necessary,” he said.

For Tazia, her experience was enriched by the chance to work directly in the diversity and inclusion space at UCLA as the vice president of diversity for the Anderson Student Association. “It gave me the opportunity to be a key decision maker on issues impacting the entire student body, as well as plan and host a conference for 100+ diverse prospective students,” she said.

Conversely, what do you wish you could “do over” now, with the benefit of hindsight?
At the same time, Tazia admits that she would have liked more time with her classmates. “As graduation nears and we all prepare to go our separate ways, I find myself feeling sad that I won’t be able to hang out with these amazing people on a regular basis anymore,” she said. “I’m definitely trying to make the most of my time with them during the final stretch.”

Tite may have come into business school too focused on where she thought she would be headed. “If I could do over any aspect of this MBA journey, it would be in finding the balance between choosing, following, and pursuing a career path—while keeping an open mind and exploring different functions and industries,” she said. Focus is great, but “it is just as important to keep an open mind and dedicate some time to exploring unchartered territories.”

Has The Consortium network been helpful in aiding your progress in business school? Why or why not?
Tite also recalls that it was a Consortium alumna who helped her move business school from thought to reality. While OP was an exciting opportunity, she hopes that The Consortium can continue increasing its link with students, extending career resources, after they start business school.

At the same time, the network has been invaluable. “I recall many times when I reached out to a member or alumni of the network, at any member school, and received great responses and quick aid in my prompt,” she said.

Elva concurred on the immense value of the network—students who supported her through class as well as alumni “for helping me convert to a full-time offer” at Starbucks.

The CGSM classmates “were the people who I leaned on most when school got tough and recruiting seemed to be taking up all my time,” Tazia said. “We studied together, interview prepped together, and most importantly, let loose together.”

Finally, for Alejandro—who has family members who have been affected by Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico—the connection has been a source of emotional, as well as career support.

“I have been honored to have been invited to speak twice at Consortium fundraisers in St. Louis,” he said. “I could not ask for a better forum to express my gratitude for how much The Consortium has transformed my life.”

In case you missed our earlier installments, here’s part one of the series as the students began business school (from Sept. 27, 2016); part two as they adjusted to the rigors of their programs (from Dec. 1, 2016); and part three as they were about to start their summer internships (on March 30, 2017). Finally, here’s part four as they reflected on the experiences they had over the summer—including their internships.

The post Following our 5 students: Opportunity, travel and gratitude appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Consortium welcomes Washington’s Foster School of Business [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Consortium welcomes Washington’s Foster School of Business
The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management, a national leader in promoting diversity and inclusion in business education and corporate leadership, will add a 20th university to its membership ranks effective July 1, 2018: The University of Washington’s Michael G. Foster School of Business.

The highly ranked Seattle-based university officially joins The Consortium at the start of the organization’s new fiscal year following approval on Dec. 4, 2017, by The Consortium’s board of trustees and the signing of the university’s membership agreement on May 3, 2018. The Consortium works with top-ranked MBA programs around the country to increase the ranks of underrepresented minorities in business education and corporate leadership.

“It’s been clear from the start that Foster would be a strong, enthusiastic and energetic partner in furthering our mission,” said Peter J. Aranda III, The Consortium’s executive director and CEO. “We’re eager to begin working with Dean James Jiambalvo and the rest of his team.”

Dean James Jiambalvo

Since 2005, Jiambalvo has led the Foster School of Business, which has embraced diversity and inclusion as a hallmark of its work, weaving that commitment into its academic programs, the student experience and its community relationships through formal programming, student clubs and activities, scholarships, and internships.

“We’re excited to extend our work in diversity, equity, and inclusion through membership in The Consortium,” said Jiambalvo. “Our membership provides an opportunity to live values fundamental to the Foster School and the University of Washington, namely that commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusion in America’s classrooms and boardrooms make for resilient thinkers who have the power to lead and inspire the world toward better outcomes for all.”

UW is the second university to gain membership in The Consortium in the past year. Rice University officially joined on July 1, 2017, and will participate in its first Orientation Program & Career Forum—an annual conference for new MBA students and Consortium constituents—in June 2018.

During Aranda’s 14-year tenure as executive director, The Consortium negotiated the return of the University of California, Berkeley after a six year hiatus and added six new schools to its membership — Yale University; Cornell University; the University of California, Los Angeles; Georgetown University; Rice; and the University of Washington.

The Consortium works with its member schools and 85 corporate partners to increase the ranks of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in U.S. business schools and corporate leadership positions. The Consortium serves this mission by annually offering hundreds of merit-based, full-tuition fellowships to promising leaders, as well as membership in a global network of more than 9,000 diversity-minded alumni, member school representatives and corporate partners. This year, The Consortium expects to welcome more than 500 students into its program, joining an equally large class of second-year MBA students.

Those corporate partners — which include companies such as Google, General Mills, 3M, Johnson & Johnson and dozens more — gain early access to top-flight, diverse talent at The Consortium’s Orientation Program. The Consortium will begin recruiting prospective MBA students for the Foster School of Business’ first Consortium class in the fall of 2018 for admission in 2019.

Founded in 1966, the vision of The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management is to increase the representation of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in management careers in the United States. We realize this vision by recruiting outstanding students who have shown a commitment to diversity and connecting them with top-tier MBA programs and corporations.

The Consortium, founded at the Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis, now includes the University of California, Berkeley; the University of California, Los Angeles; Carnegie Mellon University; Cornell University; Dartmouth College; Emory University; Georgetown University; Indiana University-Bloomington; the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor; New York University; The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; Rice University; the University of Rochester; the University of Southern California; The University of Texas at Austin; the University of Virginia; the University of Wisconsin-Madison; Yale University; and on July 1, 2018 the University of Washington.

Founded in 1917, the Michael G. Foster School of Business is committed to providing an accessible learning community of faculty, staff, students, alumni, and business leaders dedicated to the creation, dissemination, and application of management knowledge. For more information about and insights from the Foster School of Business, visit the school’s website at foster.uw.edu.

For more information, contact:
Janice Wells-White, Ed.D., Vice President, Program Administration The Consortium

636-561-5451.

Dan Turner, Associate Dean, Masters Programs, Michael G. Foster School of Business 206-543-2165.

The post Consortium welcomes Washington’s Foster School of Business appeared first on The Consortium.
GMAT Club Bot
Consortium welcomes Washington’s Foster School of Business [#permalink]
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9