Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [5]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1601 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
New statistics from the United States National Park Service reveal [#permalink]
aragonn wrote:
New statistics from the United States National Park Service reveal that for every tax dollar invested in visitors' centers and services, trail maintenance, and wildlife preservation, it returns at least ten dollars to the country's economy that would not otherwise be spent in the parks' neighboring communities.

A. that for every tax dollar invested into visitors' centers and services, trail maintenance, and wildlife preservation, it returns at least ten dollars to the country's economy that would not otherwise be spent

B. that for every tax dollar invested into visitors' centers and services, trail maintenance, and wildlife preservation, at least ten dollars are returned to the country's economy that would not otherwise be spent

C. that for every tax dollar invested into visitors' centers and services, trail maintenance, and wildlife preservation returns at least ten dollars to the country's economy because of spending

D. for every tax dollar invested into visitors' centers and services, trail maintenance, and wildlife preservation, that it returns at least ten dollars to the country's economy because of spending

E. for every tax dollar invested into visitors' centers and services, trail maintenance, and wildlife preservation, that at least ten dollars are returned to the country's economy that would not otherwise have been spent

We need "that" after "reveal" to make it a senseful sentence. D and E are implying that NEW STATS reveal for tax dollar invested, which is nonsensical. D and E are also wrong for modifier error "that it".

For A, "it" is ambiguous. Always be suspicious for pronouns that have no clear antecedent. A out.

C says wildlife preservation returns at least ten dollars, and that is wrong.

Thus, B is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Re: New statistics from the United States National Park Service reveal [#permalink]
Addition note

Option A: It is ambiguous. We don't know if it is referring to dollar or statistics.

Also be very mindful to always check the antecedent of the following pronouns: It, its, they, their and them

Also be mindful that the following pronouns are usually followed by a noun: this, that, these, those.

cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: New statistics from the United States National Park Service reveal [#permalink]
Please, where was this question gotten from?
Although I might accept the fact that A is wrong because there is no clear antecedent, it is difficult for me to accept B as a right answer.
You cannot use ‘are’ for a sum of money.
It’s so unfortunate that I don’t know any OG verbal question to use as a reference but going through all the quantitative OG questions, I have never seen a plural verb (are) used for a sum of money.
Please how do I go about tagging the verbal experts to this question. I need more clarification please.
This is confusing me and is going to mislead a whole lot of people.

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Quote:
Those sixty dollars are gone

That sixty dollars is gone

I believe that both those and that work when the amount is spelled out, but just as you've written them as PeterShor and Barrie have said with plural and singular verb agreement.

Quote:
Those sixty dollars were supposed to be my ticket out of this town, and now they're sailing away on a strong southern breeze.

That sixty dollars was supposed to be my ticket out of this town, and now it's sailing away on a strong southern breeze.

Depending on the usage it can be plural or singular.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Reveal required that so options D and E are out

A- it is ambigious .no clear antecedent(dollar or statistics)

C- wrong every tax dollars because of spending does not make intended sense or meaning of sentence

So B is correct

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts