Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 506 [16]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.31
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [2]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
Re: Jaguars have the strongest bite amongst all felids, and compared with [#permalink]
Hello experts,

I understand A is correct, even I chose the. Please give reasons for eliminating E

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: Jaguars have the strongest bite amongst all felids, and compared with [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Sentence talks about feature of jaguras-strongest bite and then compared with leopard - different characteristics

Strongest bite and comparison with leopards aRe separate clauses so "and" must be used with compared part

Let's evaluate answer choices

A Jaguars have the strongest bite amongst all felids, and compared with leopards, weigh much more, -- no problem as such.convey correct meaning

B Jaguars, which have the strongest bite amongst all felids, compared with leopards, they weigh much more --- jaguars is there ,they is not required so wrong

C Jaguars have the strongest bite amongst all felids, in comparison with leopards, and weigh much more, they --- characteristics comparison with leopards is there so placement of "and" is wrong. Construction is a,b,and c
And required in the end

D Jaguars having the strongest bite amongst all felids, compared with leopards, weigh much more, ---- need to have "and" with compared, also usage of having

E Jaguars, which have the strongest bite among all felids, compared with leopards, weigh much more, and --- no verb + "and" is required with compared
As there are two separate clauses

Give kudos if it helps

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Kudos
Marked E, Silly Mistake. Got the answer later.
Jaguars have the strongest bite amongst all felids, and compared with leopards,
1. weigh much more,
2. prefer to hunt larger prey that weigh around 300kilograms,
4. are adept swimmers,
5. and have shorter, stockier limbs.

Can anyone throw light if there is any specific difference in the usage of Among/Amongst?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
aragonn wrote:
A is correct.
POE:
A Jaguars have the strongest bite amongst all felids, and compared with leopards, weigh much more, -- should be correct.
B Jaguars, which have the strongest bite amongst all felids, compared with leopards, they weigh much more --- they ? verb ?
C Jaguars have the strongest bite amongst all felids, in comparison with leopards, and weigh much more, they --- they is referring to what ?
D Jaguars having the strongest bite amongst all felids, compared with leopards, weigh much more, ---- having is not verb.
E Jaguars, which have the strongest bite among all felids, compared with leopards, weigh much more, and --- no verb

D does have a verb “weigh” . So why is it incorrect ?? mikemcgarry sayantanc2k

Manager
Manager
Send PM
egmat

I am confused in between A and D. I still don't have reasons to eliminate D. Please help
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Jaguars have the strongest bite amongst all felids, and compared with [#permalink]
Hi mikemcgarry,

Sir how are you ?
Can you please help in this question?

Honestly i think D can be a valid answer.
D Jaguars having the strongest bite amongst all felids, compared with leopards, weigh much more,

If i remove noun phrase then the sentence would read as Jaguars, compared with leopards, weigh much more,. This sentence makes sense and i think there is no issue with verb-ing modifier as well.

I understand that A has two independent sentences joined by and that A is correct.
But how do i eliminate D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
arvind910619 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry,

Sir how are you ?

D Jaguars having the strongest bite amongst all felids, compared with leopards, weigh much more,

If i remove noun phrase then the sentence would read as Jaguars, compared with leopards, weigh much more,. This sentence makes sense and i think there is no issue with verb-ing modifier as well.

I understand that A has two independent sentences joined by and that A is correct.
But how do i eliminate D

The reason why I eliminated A was that 2 independent clauses were separated by comma. I don't think we need a comma here. What do you say?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
arvind910619 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry,

Sir how are you ?

But how do i eliminate D

I might be wrong but D is separating the Jaguars in two categories : one which has the strongest bite and one which doesn't
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Prateek176 wrote:
arvind910619 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry,

Sir how are you ?

But how do i eliminate D

The reason why I eliminated A was that 2 independent clauses were separated by comma. I don't think we need a comma here. What do you say?

Hi Prateek176,

Happy to help.

I am afraid that your reason to eliminate A is not correct.

and is a FANBOYS conjunction and connects two independent sentences.
The correct form of two independent clauses joined by and is as follows.

IC1, and IC2.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
I picked D too. However, option A indeed is the best answer. I realized this once submitted the answer.
The problem with D is probably the comma before "compared"

D Jaguars having the strongest bite amongst all felids, compared with leopards, weigh much more,...

If we retain that first clause and add the following phrase, the sentence will be fixed:

Jaguars having the strongest bite amongst all felids can kill the prey with only one bite.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
arvind910619 wrote:
Prateek176 wrote:
arvind910619 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry,

Sir how are you ?

But how do i eliminate D

Hi Prateek176,

Happy to help.

I am afraid that your reason to eliminate A is not correct.

and is a FANBOYS conjunction and connects two independent sentences.
The correct form of two independent clauses joined by and is as follows.

IC1, and IC2.

hi arvind910619

I completely missed that :(

My logic for eliminating D was that the sentence says "Jaguar having the strongest bite......". This is not the intended meaning. This says that there are a fraction of jaguars who actually have the strongest bite. Is my logic apt??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Prateek176 wrote:
aragonn wrote:
A is correct.
POE:
A Jaguars have the strongest bite amongst all felids, and compared with leopards, weigh much more, -- should be correct.
B Jaguars, which have the strongest bite amongst all felids, compared with leopards, they weigh much more --- they ? verb ?
C Jaguars have the strongest bite amongst all felids, in comparison with leopards, and weigh much more, they --- they is referring to what ?
D Jaguars having the strongest bite amongst all felids, compared with leopards, weigh much more, ---- having is not verb.
E Jaguars, which have the strongest bite among all felids, compared with leopards, weigh much more, and --- no verb

D does have a verb “weigh” . So why is it incorrect ?? mikemcgarry sayantanc2k

It's incorrect because of use of "having" instead of "have"

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Manager
Manager
Send PM
devikeerthansr wrote:
Jaguars have the strongest bite amongst all felids, and compared with leopards, weigh much more, prefer to hunt larger prey that weigh around 300kilograms, are adept swimmers, and have shorter, stockier limbs.

A Jaguars have the strongest bite amongst all felids, and compared with leopards, weigh much more,
B Jaguars, which have the strongest bite amongst all felids, compared with leopards, they weigh much more
C Jaguars have the strongest bite amongst all felids, in comparison with leopards, and weigh much more, they
E Jaguars, which have the strongest bite among all felids, compared with leopards, weigh much more, and

Source:Crackverbal

daagh sir , GMATNinja

I am still having problems eliminating option D. Can anybody please help me??
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [1]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Jaguars have the strongest bite amongst all felids, and compared with [#permalink]
Kudos
Prateek176 wrote:
devikeerthansr wrote:
Jaguars have the strongest bite amongst all felids, and compared with leopards, weigh much more, prefer to hunt larger prey that weigh around 300kilograms, are adept swimmers, and have shorter, stockier limbs.

A Jaguars have the strongest bite amongst all felids, and compared with leopards, weigh much more,
B Jaguars, which have the strongest bite amongst all felids, compared with leopards, they weigh much more
C Jaguars have the strongest bite amongst all felids, in comparison with leopards, and weigh much more, they
E Jaguars, which have the strongest bite among all felids, compared with leopards, weigh much more, and

Source:Crackverbal

daagh sir , GMATNinja

I am still having problems eliminating option D. Can anybody please help me??

hey there Prateek176 i am not expert at all,

but did you try to read option D out loud ? :-)

Jaguars HAVE the strongest bite amongst all felids, and compared with leopards, weigh much more, prefer to hunt larger prey that weigh around 300kilograms, are adept swimmers, and have shorter, stockier limbs.

VS

Jaguars HAVING the strongest bite amongst all felids, and compared with leopards, weigh much more, prefer to hunt larger prey that weigh around 300kilograms, are adept swimmers, and have shorter, stockier limbs.

HAVING doesnt make sense here since it is not a verb, and you need to look for a verb in present tense, WHY ? look at words marked in blue. parallelism :)

ALSO: HAVING is a participle. Participle is not a verb. Participles have three functions in sentences. They can be components of multipart verbs, or they can function as adjectives or nouns.

check the inks below

https://www.chompchomp.com/terms/participle.htm
https://www.englisch-hilfen.de/en/gramm ... s_form.htm

cheers,
D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
In B an C it is not clear what ‘they’ refers to.
‘having’ is not the correct verb, so D is gone.

As E consists of two independent clauses, there must be an ‘and’ between them.

A is the right option.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts