Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [2]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GRE 1: Q166 V147
GPA: 3.3
WE:Other (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: 740 GMAT score, but 63 percentile in Quant: HELP! [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
giriraj21 wrote:
Hi,

Here is the breakdown of my GMAT score:

Quantitative: scaled score 47 and 63 percentile
Verbal: scaled score 44 and 98 percentile
Total: scaled score 740 and 97 percentile

[IR: scaled score 8 and 93 percentile; awaiting AWA score: hoping for >= 5]

I have applied to these colleges: Booth, Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley Haas and Wharton.

Are my scores good enough for these colleges given the Quant disaster? If not these colleges, where else can I apply?
I'd definitely urge you to apply if you feel you have a shot. Your Q47 doesn't look as good as your V44 in percentile terms, but it is not a "disaster" :-)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
giriraj21 wrote:
I have applied to these colleges: Booth, Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley Haas and Wharton.

Hi Giriraj, am just curious...are the Admissions to these schools (for academic session starting 2018) still open? Quite surprising.

As everyone has pointed out in this thread, your current Quant score does not look like a deal-breaker. If you however, have explicitly mentioned Finance as your area of interest in your application, some schools might have some reservation with your Quant score.

p.s. Last year, we had a student who had Q44, but she compensated it with a stellar V44, scoring 720 overall. She got thru a top college.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Ashish,

No, I will apply for next year's batch.

I am actually aiming for Finance. I have work experience in HSBC in a role associated with finance. Would it add weight for selecting Finance?

May I ask you another thing? I read two articles (unable to post links) that said Q47 (my score) used to be mid-80s percentile back in 2000; they said colleges look at the scaled score more as it gives an absolute indicator of ability, whereas percentiles can change relative to the composition of test takers. So the articles said that as long as the overall score is high, a Q45+ is acceptable to the colleges.

So what is your take on this? I am asking you since it appears that you are a teacher.

Thanks!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Giriraj, if Finance is your targeted major (and I am sure your application would reflect this), then I am inclined to suggest that you can consider re-taking GMAT, to push your Quant score higher.

Q47 is by no means a disaster; but when you are planning to apply for a Finance major, in schools such as Booth, Harvard, and Stanford, you will be trying to differentiate yourself in a highly competitive pool (both relatively and in absolute terms:)). Hence my suggestion.

Also, since there are still few months before the application season kicks in, you might want to utilize this time to propel your Quant score higher, to boost your chances.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
giriraj21 wrote:
May I ask you another thing? I read two articles (unable to post links) that said Q47 (my score) used to be mid-80s percentile back in 2000; they said colleges look at the scaled score more as it gives an absolute indicator of ability, whereas percentiles can change relative to the composition of test takers. So the articles said that as long as the overall score is high, a Q45+ is acceptable to the colleges.
I too think that a Q45 or more is something most applicants can present with a reasonable amount of confidence. Working on the GMAT now might take time away from other things that could turn out to be more important, unless, as Ashish pointed out, your programs are known for being very particular about quant.

What were your quant scores like in your practice tests (your GMATPreps)?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
giriraj21 wrote:
I too think that a Q45 or more is something most applicants can present with a reasonable amount of confidence. Working on the GMAT now might take time away from other things that could turn out to be more important, unless, as Ashish pointed out, your programs are known for being very particular about quant.

What were your quant scores like in your practice tests (your GMATPreps)?

Ajitesh,

Thanks for writing in.

I'm planning not to retake the test as I could risk lowering my overall score if Verbal goes down instead: the weightage of Quants and Verbal are disproportionate after all. I'll just have to risk it with Q47. As you said, I think I'll work on other parts of my application instead.

I used the official GMAT Prep software just to pace myself. I never gave a full length test so I didn't generate any score.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
giriraj21 wrote:
I used the official GMAT Prep software just to pace myself. I never gave a full length test so I didn't generate any score.
That's not very common, though it does make your actual score even more impressive.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
740 GMAT score, but 63 percentile in Quant: HELP! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
giriraj21 wrote:
I'm planning not to retake the test as I could risk lowering my overall score if Verbal goes down instead

Hi Giriraj, not sure I understand the risk.

If your overall score does go down (assuming a worst case scenario that Verbal goes down and Quant does not go up enough to compensate for the dip in Verbal), then wouldn't you just cancel the score?

So, that way, I would think that you're in a pretty safe position now, with an enviable benchmark of 740.
GMAT Club Bot
740 GMAT score, but 63 percentile in Quant: HELP! [#permalink]