Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1065 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than [#permalink]
Nope. Answer is not E.

I think E is a case of false parallelism (I initially chose it too and am trying to identify why its wrong now, although not convincing myself)

Additionally, I think E makes it sounds as if the insurance plans are spending more time with patients, not doctors..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
buckkitty wrote:
Nope. Answer is not E.

I think E is a case of false parallelism (I initially chose it too and am trying to identify why its wrong now, although not convincing myself)

Additionally, I think E makes it sounds as if the insurance plans are spending more time with patients, not doctors..

Cant understand what is wrong with E.Also,can you explain how E sounds as if the insurance plans are spending more time ... not doctors..I think it is the case with other options.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
D>>Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending less time with each.

I think D is correct because the sentence structure is:

union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans that impose X and Y, + participial phrase modifying Y.

Upon further review of E, I take back my statement on insurance companies spending less time with patients. HMMM...

The only reason I refute E is because I think D sounds better. Any other ideas??? OA in GMATPrep is D.

[/b]
Director
Director
Send PM
Yes this is a tricky one, although E looks to be the best choice, D is the OA according to Gmatprep. Anyone else who can provide reasons on why D and not E is correct??
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Send PM
Will go with D.
Insurance plans impose and require. But the requirement causes the doctors to spend less time with patients.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Selected D coz of parallelism - "that impose stricter limits on medical services and (that) require doctors to see more patients, spending "

for (e) to be in the reckoning, it should be -

that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients and spend (even then I would probably select D coz it sounds better)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Send PM
will agree with 'D'

requiring doctors to see ... doesn't modify on medical services but it modifies the plan
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
Send PM
It should be ^ D ^

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending less time with each.

If we use "and" like in E, it spoils the ||lism. It sounds as if it is the insurance plans that spend less time with each patient.

E- that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Great explanation Selene.

I think these GMATprep SC Modifier questions are really tricky and wrong answers vary only very slightly from right answers. I think they are more difficult than OG.
Director
Director
Send PM
selene wrote:
It should be ^ D ^

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending less time with each.

If we use "and" like in E, it spoils the ||lism. It sounds as if it is the insurance plans that spend less time with each patient.

E- that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending

On what basis can we say that doctors are spending and not insurance plans??
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
gmatmba wrote:
selene wrote:
It should be ^ D ^

Insurance plans don't spend time. Its people who spend time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
Send PM
gmatmba wrote:
selene wrote:
It should be ^ D ^

Let's divide the sentence into parallel parts :

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in

lower-end insurance plans that

impose stricter limits on medical services and

require doctors to see more patients, spending less time with each.

if we think that insurance plans are spending time "each" remains undefined:

lower-end insurance plans that
impose stricter limits on medical services,
require doctors to see more patients,
and spend less times with each.

what is "each" :?: :?:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Send PM
selene wrote:
It should be ^ D ^

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, <b>spending less time with each. </b>

how does spending less time with each modify doctors? I agree that C can't be it. the plan can send less time with each patient. but how the last phrase logically modify doctors??
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1479 [0]
Send PM
mrmikec wrote:
selene wrote:
It should be ^ D ^

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, <b>spending less time with each. </b>

how does spending less time with each modify doctors? I agree that C can't be it. the plan can send less time with each patient. but how the last phrase logically modify doctors??

Yes, this also confuses me!Anyone please elaborate?!!:)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1479 [0]
Send PM
buckkitty wrote:
Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than nonunion members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend less time with each.

B. imposing stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending

C. that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend

D. that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, spending

E. that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending

Using POE:
A. A gerund is grammatically correct when it stands after a possessive pronoun, for example: She agrees on my leaving for USA ( She agrees on me leaving for USA is wrong) --> A is out

B. insurance plans imposing...., requiring ...., and spending ... ---> sounds as if the insurance plans spend less time with each (patient) --> out

C. that impose...., require.....,and spend ....---> same error as in B.

E. same error as in B and C.

D seems to contain no evils.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts