Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: My Odds at HBS [#permalink]
Hello CarpeDiem1903

Thank you for the details. Please see my replies in Blue, it might give you a direction to think in-

CarpeDiem1903 wrote:
Hey Varun,

Thank you for the guidance. This is my detailed profile along with other factors relating to my application:

Academic Background:
Undergrad : NIT, Nagpur, India (GPA 7.46/10)- Good but not stellar academic aptitude. Need to compensate by a high GMAT (I'd personally recommend a 720+ at least, as Indians are generally expected to score higher)
Bachelor of Tech. (Civil engineering)

Graduate school: Penn State University, US (GPA: 3.71/4) Good. Still hold my GMAT recommendation.
Master of Science (Civil Engineering)

Nationality: India one of the biggest applicant pool You will need some serious Spikes and differentiators in the written application

Work Experience :

1 year at Indian govt. public sector company: construction tender managementBut what did you achieve?

3 years at Structural consulting firm: 1 year as a design engineer and 2 years as a project lead. (Manage, design and delivering projects in time )this is your role, what are your accomplishments? What's your career progress in 3 years?

1 year as a proprietor of structural consulting firm (self employed) Entrepreneurship can be a plus. But what were your key learning (success & failures)? Why do you want to leave this?

Active volunteering work for engineers without borders. (Construction of libraries in Panama)Interesting. A good school will be interested to know the your impact in this and how does it add to you as a person?

Interests related to MBA: specialization in Human behavior and decision making with possible PhD prospective. Not sure how this ties in. You are interested in Human behavior, good, but how do your current skills transfer to this specialization? What have you done in your career to move onto this path? Plus an MBA is not needed for a PhD. Then why not go for it directly? An MBA & PhD will in most cases lead to different goals.

Career goals: establishing a career in real estate and capital insurance company in the risk assessment sector. Maybe I'm not understanding this right, but how does it tie to the above? Also why can't you progress on this path via your existing career direction? Why do you need an MBA?

I am aware this might be still very generic profile and I would be working on this more in depth. But it would help to get an idea as to where I actually stand so that it could help to asses the amount of work cut out for me.Harvard is going to be a stretch (it is for everyone), but you will need to 1. literally light up your mind to get in depth answers 2. write a kick-ass application 3. Aim for a 750+ GMAT- Is say this because you will need 2-3 spikes at least to target the likes of Harvard. Also ask yourself- as per your goals, is Harvard even the right fit?
Thanks a lot of the expertise and help once again.
You're very welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
My Odds at HBS [#permalink]
Expert Reply
CarpeDiem1903 wrote:
Hey Varun,

Thank you for the guidance. This is my detailed profile along with other factors relating to my application:

Academic Background:
Undergrad : NIT, Nagpur, India (GPA 7.46/10)

Graduate school: Penn State University, US (GPA: 3.71/4)

Nationality: India

Work Experience :

1 year at Indian govt. public sector company: construction tender management

3 years at Structural consulting firm: 1 year as a design engineer and 2 years as a project lead. (Manage, design and delivering projects in time )

1 year as a proprietor of structural consulting firm (self employed)

Active volunteering work for engineers without borders. (Construction of libraries in Panama)

Interests related to MBA: specialization in Human behavior and decision making with possible PhD prospective.

Career goals: establishing a career in real estate and capital insurance company in the risk assessment sector.

I am aware this might be still very generic profile and I would be working on this more in depth. But it would help to get an idea as to where I actually stand so that it could help to asses the amount of work cut out for me.

Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
CarpeDiem1903 wrote:
Hey Varun,

Academic Background:
Undergrad : NIT, Nagpur, India (GPA 7.46/10)

Graduate school: Penn State University, US (GPA: 3.71/4)

Nationality: India

Work Experience :

1 year at Indian govt. public sector company: construction tender management

3 years at Structural consulting firm: 1 year as a design engineer and 2 years as a project lead. (Manage, design and delivering projects in time )

1 year as a proprietor of structural consulting firm (self employed)

Active volunteering work for engineers without borders. (Construction of libraries in Panama)

Interests related to MBA: specialization in Human behavior and decision making with possible PhD prospective.

Career goals: establishing a career in real estate and capital insurance company in the risk assessment sector.

I am aware this might be still very generic profile and I would be working on this more in depth. But it would help to get an idea as to where I actually stand so that it could help to asses the amount of work cut out for me.

Hi CarpeDiem1903,

Thanks for sharing your details.

Considering your profile and in case you are looking only at applying to Harvard, you will need to aim for something above 750 (even then, Harvard would be a Stretch). We are afraid that a 720 may not fit the bill at all. Indians are anyway an overrepresented pool and the GMAT expectations are a lot higher from Indian students.

Having said that, if you do choose to apply (which you must :-)), do put in some solid effort into your essays. Ensure that your essays are reflective of your strengths, focus on portraying a set of career goals that seamlessly sync in with your professional experience, and highlight your need for an MBA at this point in your career.

Additionally, we do hope you are looking at a wider range of schools, for while we hope you make it to your Dream school, we also hope that in the scenario that you don't, you don't forgo the MBA experience completely :-) The learning, whether or not from the M7, is valuable anyway :-)

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot