Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Re: McCombs Waitlist Discussion: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020! [#permalink]
Also I bet it’s number 2. McCombs yield was no different than any other schools in the 15-20 rank so I bet they got a higher yield this year. I live in Austin so I can wait. Sucks if you are planning a move

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Tend to agree with both your situations. While logically it looks like its the 2nd scenario, I've actually spent a ton of time checking this site and clearadmit over the past few months. On clearadmit, there are hardly any posts of people going to McCombs on Decisionwire. On this site, I've probably checked (read: stalked) almost every profile who's been admitted and I remember there being very few people who were actually going to pick McCombs. This was either from their post history or the fact that they've chosen that they're matriculating elsewhere. Obviously this data isn't representative, but I definitely did not see a very high yield.

Also, the current class of 2020 group on Facebook has about 260 people, but this includes adcom, people who joined the group before the Round 1 decisions and people who got admission but haven't taken it either, so take that info however you want to.

My situation: international, waitlisted in R1, stayed in touch, shared a letter of interest, a couple of transcripts and retook my GMAT. Doesn't really look good, I hope its situation 1, but logically it seems like its 2. Even with all the checking I've done, the fact is if their yield was exceptionally low they'd probably be admitting people off the waitlist early so that they don't lose out on good candidates. It is what it is I guess.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.6
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
AvalonQQ wrote:
Tend to agree with both your situations. While logically it looks like its the 2nd scenario, I've actually spent a ton of time checking this site and clearadmit over the past few months. On clearadmit, there are hardly any posts of people going to McCombs on Decisionwire. On this site, I've probably checked (read: stalked) almost every profile who's been admitted and I remember there being very few people who were actually going to pick McCombs. This was either from their post history or the fact that they've chosen that they're matriculating elsewhere. Obviously this data isn't representative, but I definitely did not see a very high yield.

Also, the current class of 2020 group on Facebook has about 260 people, but this includes adcom, people who joined the group before the Round 1 decisions and people who got admission but haven't taken it either, so take that info however you want to.

My situation: international, waitlisted in R1, stayed in touch, shared a letter of interest, a couple of transcripts and retook my GMAT. Doesn't really look good, I hope its situation 1, but logically it seems like its 2. Even with all the checking I've done, the fact is if their yield was exceptionally low they'd probably be admitting people off the waitlist early so that they don't lose out on good candidates. It is what it is I guess.

Everyone's reasons for scenario 2 being likely make sense, i.e. dinging waitlisters, admitting low #'s in R3 and pushing the waitlist admit decision timeline back.

However, I can't get past the fact that AvalonQQ brings up, which is that anecdotally, McCombs yield appears low this year. In addition to DecisionWire and their Facebook page, I attended the Tepper Welcome Weekend and I spoke to a surprising number of students who had been admitted to McCombs along with Tepper and every single one turned down McCombs (at least 5 students). Also, with their new Rowling Hall building they are likely to increase their class size this year compared to last (Tepper also built a new building and they are targeting to increase class size by 10 students per Adcom, and they pride themselves on being the smallest class size in the top 20). So I think there is a strong case for Scenario 1.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
They wont be increasing class size due to Rowling Hall’s completion. Asked adcom that exact question when I visited and was told no.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Not sure if you guys will find this useful, but I went back and looked through the admitted people on the decision tracker. These are the results I found based on their applicant status or post history. Please don't judge me lol, I need something to keep me distracted.

Known Matriculating Results:
People matriculating at McCombs - 10
People matriculating elsewhere - 27

Unknown Matriculating Results:
People admitted to a higher ranked school (includes Darden, Fuqua, Ross, Tuck, Haas, M7 & 1 person from LBS) - 14
No info from either the applicant profile or post history - 39

Total: 90

There is 1 waitlist acceptance here, but I'm not sure if its legit so I haven't included it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Waitlisted from R1. Received a ding earlier today.

Sent from my SM-G950F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Send PM