Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: My 1st GMAT 640(V25 Q50 IR7) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi NiharikaR,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss the data in your ESR, I'd like to know a bit more about how you took your CATs:

1) On what date did you take each of your CATs?
2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
3) Did you take them at home?
4) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
5) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
6) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi NiharikaR,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss the data in your ESR, I'd like to know a bit more about how you took your CATs:

1) On what date did you take each of your CATs?
2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
3) Did you take them at home?
4) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
5) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
6) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

Rich

Here are the answers to ur q:
1. I took 6 Manhattan tests, 4 Veritas and, 4 Gmat prep tests over a period of 2 months. I dont remember the dates.
2. Yes I took the entire CAT in one go but never did AWA and very few times did IR. Anyways, my selection order is Verbal-Quants-IR-AWA so verbal must not get affected in anyway.
3. All of them taken at home in proper atmosphere with no disturbance at all
4. Most of them was taken at the same time
5.Nothing as such
6. All the questions during the mocks were new to me as I never saw them before
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
NiharikaR wrote:
For Quant, I didn't do much. I did few questions from Egmat Scholoranium (only hard and very hard types) and from GMATClub

For Verbal, I have put lot of efforts. I did MGMAT SC, Egmat offline videos for all CR, SC and RC, gmat prep questions and OG.
Regarding mocks in Manhattan and Veritas my score used to range from V31 to V37. But in the last two GMATPrep test that I gave I got V23 and V28.

I don't know what can I do to improve my Verbal score. Till I don't find a convincing answer, I think retaking GMAT won't help me as doing the same thing and expecting different result doesn't work.

My target score is 730. I am sure I can increase that Q50 to Q51 but I don't know how to get that corresponding Verbal score. I read concepts again and again and in my opinion all the concepts are in my head. So going to any coaching centre won't help me either.

Please suggest me some approach so that I can decide if I can go for retest

Hey ! First of all congrats for the Q50 !

I had a look at your ESR and it seems that your timing is a bit unusual. You spend a lot of time on SC and not enough on RC.
I can tell from personal experience that applying SC strategy and knowing the the Gmat SC rules down cold helped me improve my timing and my accuracy became really really high.

So maybe if you practice SC strategy (make sure you consistently do the POE and you don't read all the answer choices over and over again) and you learn the essential rules (you need to be flawless) you'll be able to save time that you can re-inject into RC. If you have more time on RC you'll be able to understand the passage better, and answer faster and better.

I'm not a professional but I had a similar situation to yours, and applying these tactics helped me to become A LOT better on verbal !

Good luck with your preparation !
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi mehak2509,

Since this thread is focused on NiharikaR's situation and questions, I suggest that you start a new thread of your own (so the focus of that thread can stay focused on YOUR situation - and we avoid the confusion that might come from two people seeking different advice(s) in the same thread). I'll be happy to answer your questions and analyze your situation - and you can always feel free to contact me directly (thru a PM) if you like.

Rich
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30788 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
My 1st GMAT 640(V25 Q50 IR7) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
NiharikaR - Have you written to the e-GMAT team seeking inputs regarding your Verbal performance? You have mentioned your scores in mocks.. can you also state the same in your verbal ability quizzes.

Also, can you share you e-GMAT id in a PM so that we can look at the data in your account and provide insights?

-Rajat
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Niharika! From your ESR, SC distinctly emerges as an area of concern. Was this a consistent issue during your mocks as well?

If yes, thought I would mention that our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana is perhaps the only book that offers a score improvement guarantee, and is especially designed for non-native speakers.

After reading the book twice (yes! it's an academic book, and so must be read twice in all seriousness, to reinforce the concepts), you will start looking forward to solving SC questions!

The book is available on Flipkart and Amazon.in. You might want to refer to these sites, to also read testimonials of how readers have benefited.

See here how Mohit, who scored 750 on GMAT, vouches for our book.

If you want to sample a chapter before deciding to go ahead with our book, please PM me your mail-id (along with the chapter that you would like to sample) and I will be happy to send that chapter to you by mail. In addition, the entire Grammar section of the book is also available for free preview at pothi.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
NiharikaR wrote:
My ESR

Hi,

I saw from your ESR file that your performance isn't consistent during the test. You answered even easy questions incorrectly. Inconsistency will hurt your overall score much. Also, your SC score ranking is the lowest, so it's probably that you answered SC questions wrong.

I think that SC is your weakness since you took 1m43s per SC question. Focusing on SC section may be the effective key to improve your score then.

Since you said that you have taken some mock tests from GMATPrep, Veritas and Manhattan, how did you take them? Did you take those tests too often? Did you see repeated questions? Please let us know so other experts could help you.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts