Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [119]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [20]
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [12]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2284 [4]
Given Kudos: 740
GPA: 3.21
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Re: Maxwell’s theory of Electromagnetism in 1865 was the first “unified fi [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
mikemcgarry wrote:
Maxwell’s theory of Electromagnetism in 1865 was the first “unified field theory”, with Electroweak in 1961 only being the other, because no further theory has united the electroweak field with either the Strong (Hadronic) force or Gravity.
A. with Electroweak in 1961 only being the other, because
B. with Electroweak in 1961 being the only other, because
C. and Electroweak in 1961 only was the other, because
D. and Electroweak in 1961 only being the other, as
E. and Electroweak in 1961 the only other, as

For a discussion of dropping common words in parallel structure, as well as a full explanation for this question, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/dropping-c ... -the-gmat/

Mike :-)

Hi Mike,

In the above we can clearly rule out A,B and C. In option D, If the sentence was " and Electroweak in 1961 being the other, as " could we pick D then over E as " being" is continuous verb form of "to be" indicating that it is still true.

Normally I don't select ans choice with being but it does make sense here. Please correct me if I am wrong

In OG, do we have Questions with this kind of structure.

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [6]
Re: Maxwell’s theory of Electromagnetism in 1865 was the first “unified fi [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
WoundedTiger wrote:
Hi Mike,

In the above we can clearly rule out A,B and C. In option D, If the sentence was " and Electroweak in 1961 being the other, as " could we pick D then over E as " being" is continuous verb form of "to be" indicating that it is still true.

Normally I don't select ans choice with being but it does make sense here. Please correct me if I am wrong

In OG, do we have Questions with this kind of structure.

Dear Wounded Tiger,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

You're correct that while "being" is usually not correct, it can appear in some correct answers. There are a couple problems with (D) though.

Problem #1 is that we have the form
[noun][verb]"and"[noun][participle]
That structure is wrong 100% of the time on the GMAT. Without the word "and", it could be correct ----
Maxwell’s theory of Electromagnetism in 1865 was the first “unified field theory”, Electroweak in 1961 being the only other, ...
although even there, the word "being" is not necessary. That would be an absolute phrase: see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/absolute-p ... -the-gmat/
Once we stick the "and" in, though, the structure becomes incorrect, a violation of parallelism. We can't put an independent clause in parallel with an absolute phrase.

Problem #2: consider this split:
(1) Electromagnetism in 1865 was the first, Electroweak in 1961 being the only other, ...
(2) Electromagnetism in 1865 was the first, Electroweak in 1961 only being the other, ...
The first correctly place the word "only" to indicate what is limited is that there aren't any more of these theories --- besides the first, there was just one more. The second awkwardly misplaces the word "only" --- by putting it in front of the participle "being", it seems to imply that there should be another action, another participle, more exalted or more powerful than "being." That's crazy --- that's not what the sentence is trying to say! The word "only" is suppose to indicate that there are just two of this kind of theory, so it properly belongs before the word "other."

Those are the two lethal problems with (D). This is why (E) is the best answer. Does this make sense?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Mike, a quick query for you. I read through your linked post on Magoosh about Dropping Common Words in Parallel on the GMAT. I understood all the explanations except this one.

As I read it, if you have "with + noun/phrase + participial phrase," this is incorrect on the GMAT. You should have a regular noun + verb phrase instead? Can you please clarify if I have misunderstood.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [1]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
mikemcgarry wrote:
intheend14 wrote:
Mike, a quick query for you. I read through your linked post on Magoosh about Dropping Common Words in Parallel on the GMAT. I understood all the explanations except this one.

As I read it, if you have "with + noun/phrase + participial phrase," this is incorrect on the GMAT. You should have a regular noun + verb phrase instead? Can you please clarify if I have misunderstood.

Dear intheend14,
I'm happy to respond. :-) This is a very subtle issue. It depends very much on context. It's perfectly correct if the "with" expresses the ordinary uses of "with" --- accompaniment, means, or manner:
accompaniment: I went to town with my friend writing a book.
mean: He dug the first scoop of earth with a spade once used by 19th century railroad workers.
manner: He strut into the room with a gait simply broadcasting his confidence across the room..
Those constructions are not problematic.

The problem occurs when a writer replaces a valid subordinate clause structure with this "with" structure.

Since the shipment from Uzbekistan was late, the salesman was unable to close the deal. = correct
With the shipment from Uzbekistan being late, the salesman was unable to close the deal. = atrociously incorrect

Since our infantry has overrun most of the city, aerial attacks would not be effective at this time. = correct
With our infantry having overrun most of the city, aerial attacks would not be effective at this time = atrociously incorrect

Does this distinction make sense?

Hi Mike

Thanks for your post!!

Can you help me with the following GMAT Prep Problem( with regard to the use of with)-

macjas wrote:
Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regenerative ability, and if one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and growing an extra one or two.

A one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and
B one arm is lost it is quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating and
C they lose one arm they quickly replace it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating,
D they lose one arm they are quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating,
E they lose one arm it is quickly replaced, sometimes with the animal overcompensating,

OA is B;

Please clarify what is the use of with in choice B-one arm is lost it is quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating and

Is with being used to convey accompaniment or manner.?

Also as I understand,the first with that appears in the original sentence means accompaniment.

But what about the use of with in choice B??

Thanks!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi Mike,

I have two quick questions on this that I'd really appreciate some help on. The first is whether the '..., and ...' is being used to connect two Independent Clauses. Is option E the equivalent of "and Electroweak in 1961 [was] the only other ["unified field theory"], as" with the bracketed portions omitted due to parallelism?

My second question is about the "because"/"as" split. I was under the impression that "because" is used to modify clauses, as it does in answers A, B, and C. Is this split an opportunity for eliminating answer choices? If so, would you mind explaining why?

Thanks
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [0]
Expert Reply
andersonr95 wrote:
Hi Mike,

I have two quick questions on this that I'd really appreciate some help on. The first is whether the '..., and ...' is being used to connect two Independent Clauses. Is option E the equivalent of "and Electroweak in 1961 [was] the only other ["unified field theory"], as" with the bracketed portions omitted due to parallelism?

My second question is about the "because"/"as" split. I was under the impression that "because" is used to modify clauses, as it does in answers A, B, and C. Is this split an opportunity for eliminating answer choices? If so, would you mind explaining why?

Thanks

Dear andersonr95,

I don't know whether you read the linked article, but if you had, you would see that your "reconstructed" version of (E) is perfectly correct.

In this context, "because" and "as" are almost completely synonymous. Both are subordinating conjunctions that begin verb-modifying clauses that explain the cause of something or reason for something. They are essentially interchangeable here, so this does not constitute a split of any kind. This is a "false split": the GMAT loves to pepper SC questions with these.

Does all this make sense?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi mike,
As per my understanding, the word "and" when used as subordinate conjunction joining two distinct ideas we use a "," and These two joined clauses must have a valid S-V pair. but, In E i observe that there is no proper verb. Can you please explain me this construction and correct my understanding of concept by throwing some light on it.
daagh Sir, please help me out here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Maxwell’s theory of Electromagnetism in 1865 was the first “unified field theory”, with Electroweak in 1961 only being the other, because no further theory has united the electroweak field with either the Strong (Hadronic) force or Gravity.
A. with Electroweak in 1961 only being the other, because
B. with Electroweak in 1961 being the only other, because
C. and Electroweak in 1961 only was the other, because
D. and Electroweak in 1961 only being the other, as
E. and Electroweak in 1961 the only other, as

For a discussion of dropping common words in parallel structure, as well as a full explanation for this question, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/dropping-c ... -the-gmat/

hey mike,
I selected E as an option but why is C wrong ?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [0]
Expert Reply
Nightmare007 wrote:
Hi mike,
As per my understanding, the word "and" when used as subordinate conjunction joining two distinct ideas we use a "," and These two joined clauses must have a valid S-V pair. but, In E i observe that there is no proper verb. Can you please explain me this construction and correct my understanding of concept by throwing some light on it. daagh Sir, please help me out here.

Dear Nightmare007,

First of all, the word "and" is NOT a subordinate conjunction, one that introduces a dependent clause. Instead, "and" is a "coordinating conjunction," joining two items of equal grammatical categories.

Also, I am going to point out that the very point of the question, and what you failed to understand about (E), is explained in the blog linked at the top of this page. Read that blog carefully, and let me know if you have any further questions after doing so.

Does all this make sense?
saarthak299 wrote:
hey mike,
I selected E as an option but why is C wrong ?

Dear saarthak299,

The word "only" has an odd placement in (C). The phrasing "was the only other" is 100% correct. The phrasing "only was the other" is terribly awkward and odd sounding. In general, the word "only" direct precedes the word it limits. When it comes before "other," it correct signifies that there was not more than one other. When it comes before "was," though, it is puzzling: it seems as if the verb "was," a form of the verb "to be," was too limiting as an action, as if we were expecting something more than the act of being (?). Because what it would imply is so contorted and bizarre, this phrasing sounds awkward and off. That's what's wrong with (C).

Does this make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [1]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM