Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GRE 1: Q167 V161
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Re: Columbia Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Background and nationality: Female Indian, 30
Undergrad Information: Top NIT (top 1% of batch, Merit scholar), XLRI (BM) (top 20% of batch)
GMAT: 720 (VA: 38, QA: 50)

Work experience and leadership: 6 years
Post PGDM
Current: India-based Venture Capital firm (AUM ~$2B) – fast-track promotion to Senior Associate, lead a team of 5 to invest in FMCG and tech start-ups
Bulge-bracket I-bank – Investment Banking Analyst, London, India, led multi-million dollar cross-border M&A and Financing assignments (2.5 years)
Pre-PGDM
Evalueserve, received fast-track promotion, managed a team of analysts on strategy & operations assignments (2 years)

Community and others
• Led fund-raising for international non-profit organizations for causes such as girl-child education and healthcare
• Led strategic initiatives around skill development and social upliftment of youth in rural India

Post MBA goals
o ST: Join international VC (US/UK/Singapore)
o LT: Found my investment fund

Anything else?
• Concerns regarding my GMAT score: don’t have time to retake GMAT before R1 due to work commitments. Is my GMAT score competitive for CBS considering my demographics and profile.
• Is CBS open to second MBA aspirants (I understand if it is I will have to explain in the additional essay)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Columbia Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hello All,
I would like to have my profile evaluated. I just took the GMAT in June and am ready to apply for business school in Fall 2019. Here is my information:
GMAT: 710 (50Q/34V/6 IR) Have not received my AWA score yet
GPA: ~ 3.37 (over a 3.5 my last year)
Degree: BA Economics, UCLA. Transfer GPA - 3.8
Experience: 2 years as an analyst at a real estate investment company(1 year at current firm). Work in both acquisitions (acquired 3 hotels for $150mm since I started) and asset management (6 of our current hotels, and 135 hotels for a third party). Had previous internship experience in PWM.
Extracurricular: Over 700 hours working as a volunteer at the local hospital, as a tutor, and as a coach for middle school children. No experience in professional leadership/managerial roles. Was a member of Ski and Snowboard team in college. Mentor a student at UCLA. High School Valedictorian.
Background: Indian (born and raised in California). 25 years old. Typical middle class story for a kid in Orange County.
What I want from business school: First, I would like to work in finance, either in real estate acquisitions, PWM, or VC/PE. I would like to gain both the professional and personal skills that business school can provide. Finally, I need a change in my life.
Letters of Rec: Plan on asking my CIO and an Associate at my current company for my two recommendations. I also have my previous employer in case. Do not have a professor at UCLA I can ask since I did not spend a lot of time in office hours.
Other: The one issue which will make things difficult is that I was accused of cheating in college. I received academic probation and I'm sure I will have to discuss what happened. I would like some feedback whether this is a automatic red flag. It was a mistake and I've grown from it, but I am sure it will leave a mark.

Thank You,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM

Originally posted by Sunmoonstar8888 on 15 Jun 2018, 02:18.
Last edited by Sunmoonstar8888 on 31 Jan 2019, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
topmbaaspirant18 wrote:
Background and nationality: Female Indian, 30
Undergrad Information: Top NIT (top 1% of batch, Merit scholar), XLRI (BM) (top 20% of batch)
GMAT: 720 (VA: 38, QA: 50)

Work experience and leadership: 6 years
Post PGDM
Current: India-based Venture Capital firm (AUM ~$2B) – fast-track promotion to Senior Associate, lead a team of 5 to invest in FMCG and tech start-ups
Bulge-bracket I-bank – Investment Banking Analyst, London, India, led multi-million dollar cross-border M&A and Financing assignments (2.5 years)
Pre-PGDM
Evalueserve, received fast-track promotion, managed a team of analysts on strategy & operations assignments (2 years)

Community and others
• Led fund-raising for international non-profit organizations for causes such as girl-child education and healthcare
• Led strategic initiatives around skill development and social upliftment of youth in rural India

Post MBA goals
o ST: Join international VC (US/UK/Singapore)
o LT: Found my investment fund

Anything else?
• Concerns regarding my GMAT score: don’t have time to retake GMAT before R1 due to work commitments. Is my GMAT score competitive for CBS considering my demographics and profile.
• Is CBS open to second MBA aspirants (I understand if it is I will have to explain in the additional essay)

Hi topmbaaspirant18,

Definitely, a strong work profile, complete with promotions and leadership experience. This, together with your academic pedigree definitely adds to your overall profile.
The extra-curricular activities are decent if not stellar. Probably, some insight into the impact you had with these social engagements will help :-)

Having said the above, yes, the GMAT score is a bit of a concern. While you could still apply with this score, the average at Columbia hovers around 724 and considering you belong to the Indian pool and are also looking at a second MBA, things could get a bit tricky. Hence, with your score, CBS would fall in the Dream/Stretch category. A retake is recommended. If the same is absolutely not possible, you will need to focus on putting forth a stellar application and hoping for the best! :-)

Should you feel the need for a detailed discussion, please reach out.

All the best!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
sheesho wrote:
Hello All,
I would like to have my profile evaluated. I just took the GMAT in June and am ready to apply for business school in Fall 2019. Here is my information:
GMAT: 710 (50Q/34V/6 IR) Have not received my AWA score yet
GPA: ~ 3.37 (over a 3.5 my last year)
Degree: BA Economics, UCLA. Transfer GPA - 3.8
Experience: 2 years as an analyst at a real estate investment company(1 year at current firm). Work in both acquisitions (acquired 3 hotels for $150mm since I started) and asset management (6 of our current hotels, and 135 hotels for a third party). Had previous internship experience in PWM.
Extracurricular: Over 700 hours working as a volunteer at the local hospital, as a tutor, and as a coach for middle school children. No experience in professional leadership/managerial roles. Was a member of Ski and Snowboard team in college. Mentor a student at UCLA. High School Valedictorian.
Background: Indian (born and raised in California). 25 years old. Typical middle class story for a kid in Orange County.
What I want from business school: First, I would like to work in finance, either in real estate acquisitions, PWM, or VC/PE. I would like to gain both the professional and personal skills that business school can provide. Finally, I need a change in my life.
Letters of Rec: Plan on asking my CIO and an Associate at my current company for my two recommendations. I also have my previous employer in case. Do not have a professor at UCLA I can ask since I did not spend a lot of time in office hours.
Other: The one issue which will make things difficult is that I was accused of cheating in college. I received academic probation and I'm sure I will have to discuss what happened. I would like some feedback whether this is a automatic red flag. It was a mistake and I've grown from it, but I am sure it will leave a mark.

Thank You,

Hi sheesho,

Thanks for writing in.

The work experience definitely looks impactful and will enable you to build up a strong narrative. Also, for the MBA, you do not need an academic recommendation so you could get the recommendations from Reporting Heads at your previous organization, as well as your current firm (this may be tough but do try and get this done).

Having said the above, the ethical issue complicates things a bit. Nonetheless, the best option for you is to state the facts as they happened, focus on what you learned, the positives you gained from the episode, and how you have changed as an individual. Thinking that it would leave no mark at all would mean being a bit too optimistic but we need to do all that we can to combat the negative connotation created by this episode. You could use the Optional Essay to speak about your academic probation and just make it a very honest account.

One of the things you could do at this point would be to strengthen your GMAT score to exceed the average at Columbia. Hence, the retake is strongly recommended. Of course, beyond the same, you will need to focus on putting in place a powerful set of essays with career goals that sync in with your story.

Hope this helps!

Good luck! :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi everyone I'm hoping to get an honest MBA evaluation profile

Nationality: Russian (dual citizenship Russia/USA)
GMAT: currently studying, aiming for 700+
Undergrad: Law, top 20 school
Undergraduate GPA: 3.4
Master's degree: LLM from USC school of law (USA)
Current work ex: 5 Year
1. worked in a big law firm
2. Now, The head of the legal department
Extra Curriculars:
Co-founder of the first American football team, in which played as a linebacker
Short term goal: switch my career to I-banking and focus on M&A

Thank you guys in advance. I am looking forward to getting your feedbacks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Background and nationality: 37 years old, male, gay, Indian
Undergrad Information: B.Com (First Class with Distinction)
Postgrad Information: I have a master's degree in English Literature from CIEFL, one of India's most prestigious liberal arts universities (GPA: 7.5/9.0; A+ grade; university topper). I was also awarded a fully-funded merit fellowship to study Leadership in Japan for 4 months full time (GPA: 4.1/4.33; program topper)
GMAT: 700 (V41/Q45)
Work experience and leadership: 16 years as of today.
Community and others: Extensive experience in a variety of community engagement roles, including, at present, as Head of Digital Marketing and Communication for a leading Indian NGO in the arts and cultural heritage space.
Post MBA goals: Entrepreneurship - start an EdTech focused on India.
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hello Absintheminded

Columbia or any other good school will evaluate your profile based on 6 factors mentioned here
Assessing each factor below-
Your past scores look good and your academic/professional background certainly looks different from an average Indian applicant (which is one of the biggest pool)
However it will help understand your profile better if you can mention the nature of your work, career progress in these years and key achievements. The school is more interested in your stories than a laundry list.
GMAT is slightly on the lower end for an Indian applicant, but that can be compensated by showcasing exceptional maturity.
Not really sure how your career goals fit with the school or your past skills. An EdTech in India- but how will an MBA help and specifically at Columbia? You will need to highlight how these 2 tie together and why an MBA is beneficial for you and how you are a good addition to the class with your significant years of experience. It is certainly not a deal breaker, but with 16 years of work ex your are an outlier and should give a compelling argument for it.
Needless to say final outcome will depend on how well you package all of the above mentioned factors in your written application.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Absintheminded wrote:
Postgrad Information: I have a master's degree in English Literature from CIEFL, one of India's most prestigious liberal arts universities (GPA: 7.5/9.0; A+ grade; university topper). I was also awarded a fully-funded merit fellowship to study Leadership in Japan for 4 months full time (GPA: 4.1/4.33; program topper)
Community and others: Extensive experience in a variety of community engagement roles, including, at present, as Head of Digital Marketing and Communication for a leading Indian NGO in the arts and cultural heritage space.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hello Absintheminded

Columbia or any other good school will evaluate your profile based on 6 factors mentioned here
Your past scores look good and your academic/professional background certainly looks different from an average Indian applicant (which is one of the biggest pool)
However it will help understand your profile better if you can mention the nature of your work, career progress in these years and key achievements. The school is more interested in your stories than a laundry list.
GMAT is slightly on the lower end for an Indian applicant, but that can be compensated by showcasing exceptional maturity.
Not really sure how your career goals fit with the school or your past skills. An EdTech in India- but how will an MBA help and specifically at Columbia? You will need to highlight how these 2 tie together and why an MBA is beneficial for you and how you are a good addition to the class with your significant years of experience. It is certainly not a deal breaker, but with 16 years of work ex your are an outlier and should give a compelling argument for it.
Needless to say final outcome will depend on how well you package all of the above mentioned factors in your written application.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Absintheminded wrote:

Hey Varun - thanks for that assessment. Quite on point. I am presently a Senior Manager in Product Marketing and Sales Enablement for a US-based telecom software MNC. I started my career in technical writing/instructional design and spent most of my career in that domain, all for large US tech firms. 4 years ago, I was promoted to Sr. Manager/Head of Department - Technical Writing/Instructional Design at my firm; a year later I switched to marketing in the same firm. I have been with my current firm for more than 7 years now.

Edtech - because of my MA from CIEFL and my life long work experience in writing/training in the tech industry.

What do you think?

Thanks!
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Absintheminded

Your inputs give some more clarity. However, remember the a promotion is not an achievement in itself- it is a result of your achievements in your organization. That is the story.
The schools will of course be more interested in your stories - and you will be expected to have many and show more maturity than an average applicant.
Secondly, I understand how your goal ties in with your past (although it will also matter what have you done in these 16 years to work towards this goal)
What is missing is that how does this goal tie in with your future- an MBA and that too from Columbia? Why cant you pursue an MBA from India (say PGPX or PGPMAX from IIMA/ISB) when your plan is to work in the Indian space (This is a crude question. many such questions arise)
You are not supposed to have all the answers today, but you should begin looking for these answers.
Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Absintheminded wrote:
oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hello Absintheminded

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Absintheminded wrote:

Hey Varun - thanks for that assessment. Quite on point. I am presently a Senior Manager in Product Marketing and Sales Enablement for a US-based telecom software MNC. I started my career in technical writing/instructional design and spent most of my career in that domain, all for large US tech firms. 4 years ago, I was promoted to Sr. Manager/Head of Department - Technical Writing/Instructional Design at my firm; a year later I switched to marketing in the same firm. I have been with my current firm for more than 7 years now.

Edtech - because of my MA from CIEFL and my life long work experience in writing/training in the tech industry.

What do you think?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
oneMBAcoach - Quite right. I have tried to answer those questions in the various essays I've submitted. Now hoping for the best. Fingers and toes crossed :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
Absintheminded wrote:

Hi,

MBA programs such as CBS who also have an eMBA program will mostly try pushing you for that program instead of the regular 2 year MBA, based on your fit in the class. At 37 years, you'll be too old to join the regular 2 year MBA.
Its not clear whether you are based in the US or in India, because if you are located in India then an EMBA may not be an option at all (or a verry expensive one)
I'd also be a little concerned with your career goal in entrepreneurship. A b-school is likely to ask you that if you are so passionate about this goal then why have you not started up already.
Thirdly, CBS asks a question which prompts you to address 1. why CBS and 2. why CBS in NY. You should be very well researched to answer that. You should also be able to make a case that its only at CBS that you will achieve your ambitious career goals.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Wow - please have a look at my profile and see if I'm the fit!

Background and nationality
South Korean national, came to the US at 9th grade and finished HS, undergrad, grad in ths US

Undergrad Information
BA at SUNY (2.71), MPA in health policy & management at 1st ranked institution from us news (3.09)

GMAT: gmat official prep (640), taking the real gmat in 2 days.

Work experience and leadership
Startup experience in health/IT industry (didn't work out in the end, 1.5 years), 2 internship experience at a small consulting firms before the startup, served at Korean Army as a drill instructor; 1st year rep at student consulting group at grad school

Community and others
Fellow at Korea Society

Post MBA goals
healthcare clinic service management, establish a health system through expanding father's medical center

Anything else?
most recent experience in startup ground works as a founder/ceo, the company once grew to 10 people but at the same time experienced a lot of limits and different kinds of failure... While I was in the military, came down an idiopathic illness and deeply frustrated by healthcare admins & system not by its quality. that's how I started to focus on the healthcare service management and finished masters degree in healthcare but needed more hands-on experience in a wide aspects of business to launch and run a business in South Korea... (will cut it here as it gets too lengthy)

Thanks in advance!!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
Romikus121 wrote:
Hi everyone I'm hoping to get an honest MBA evaluation profile

Tiny bit on the older side for some US programs. Would be ideal for European programmes where the average age is 30.
Nationality: Russian (dual citizenship Russia/USA)
This is something that will work in your favor, make sure to submit as a Russian citizen to play the diversity card to its full extent.

GMAT: currently studying, aiming for 700+
Depending upon where you plan to go I think you should shoot for 720+….there isn't as much competition among Russian attorneys you can skate by a little bit, however the LLM clients I’ve had don't have riveting leadership anecdotes because, law.

Undergrad: Law, top 20 school
Undergraduate GPA: 3.4
Master's degree: LLM from USC school of law (USA)

Current work ex: 5 Year
1. worked in a big law firm
2. Now, The head of the legal department

Congratulation, progression is on your side. Keep in mind, exciting brand names of big companies will only get you so far, I am hoping you have some interesting work anecdotes where you helped shape the nature of the firm, improve processes mentor people etc.

Extra Curriculars:
Co-founder of the first American football team, in which played as a linebacker
Very interesting so are you doing this In Europe question mark or what? when was this? Anything recent or anything else? what are some of your hobbies.

Short term goal: switch my career to I-banking and focus on M&A
Do you work in corporate law and have you done any due diligence work? It would be helpful to build some data points between where you are now and where you want to be, they need to know that this isn't coming out of nowhere that is well researched end up there some data points from your current job or at least extracurricular stuff.

Thank you guys in advance. I am looking forward to getting your feedbacks
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi, and thanks for writing! To clarify - including your military service, how many years of work experience do you have?

Given your GMAT score (assuming you perform similarly in the real exam) and lower GPA, I would target programs outside of the US/International Top 20 - I think CBS would be quite a reach.
Are there any other programs you're considering?

kyunghoony wrote:

South Korean national, came to the US at 9th grade and finished HS, undergrad, grad in ths US

Undergrad Information
BA at SUNY (2.71), MPA in health policy & management at 1st ranked institution from us news (3.09)

Startup experience in health/IT industry (didn't work out in the end, 1.5 years), 2 internship experience at a small consulting firms before the startup, served at Korean Army as a drill instructor; 1st year rep at student consulting group at grad school

Community and others
Fellow at Korea Society

Post MBA goals
healthcare clinic service management, establish a health system through expanding father's medical center

Anything else?
most recent experience in startup ground works as a founder/ceo, the company once grew to 10 people but at the same time experienced a lot of limits and different kinds of failure... While I was in the military, came down an idiopathic illness and deeply frustrated by healthcare admins & system not by its quality. that's how I started to focus on the healthcare service management and finished masters degree in healthcare but needed more hands-on experience in a wide aspects of business to launch and run a business in South Korea... (will cut it here as it gets too lengthy)

Thanks in advance!!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GMAT 2: 630 Q48 V28
Send PM
Thanks for your response! I have 4 years of experience including the military service - and what score would I need to reach in order to be considered at CBS?

mbaMissionNishaT wrote:
Hi, and thanks for writing! To clarify - including your military service, how many years of work experience do you have?

Given your GMAT score (assuming you perform similarly in the real exam) and lower GPA, I would target programs outside of the US/International Top 20 - I think CBS would be quite a reach.

kyunghoony wrote:

Undergrad Information

Community and others
Fellow at Korea Society

Post MBA goals

Anything else?

Thanks in advance!!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
To offset your undergrad GPA and reach CBS average for GMAT, I'd aim for 720 minimum. Hope that helps!

outofpocket wrote:
Thanks for your response! I have 4 years of experience including the military service - and what score would I need to reach in order to be considered at CBS?

mbaMissionNishaT wrote:

kyunghoony wrote:

Undergrad Information

Community and others
Fellow at Korea Society

Post MBA goals

Anything else?

Thanks in advance!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  25   
Moderator:
234 posts