Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10012 [11]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10012 [1]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
MBAHanover2018: Thanks for starting this topic. Let's make it official CBS discussion for 2019 intake. Who all are applying in ED round?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021 [#permalink]
I submitted mine a week back, haven't heard anything back. Was wondering if anyone knows this - what (if any) are the status changes that happen on the application? As an example, will I get a notification when my application goes under review? So far I haven't got any update from CBS's side
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Sloan '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I am not applying ED.

I do want to apply to Columbia, and I know they review applications as they come in. What’s the optimal time to apply after ED deadline?

I don’t want them to think I’m not committed enough to Columbia if I apply close to the ED, but I also can’t make that sort of commitment (ED)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7
Send PM

Dual degrees at CBS

Not satisfied with getting just one degree while at CBS? Check out one of their dual degree programs (where you earn two degrees at an accelerated pace). I've pulled together a complete list here:

You can apply to these programs here. For more information about other concurrent degree programs at other business schools, be sure to check out this post here. Happy to help and best of luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
I will be applying in Round 2. I have started working on my application though. Will give GMAT in November. So, can't apply in Round 1.
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
You should apply as soon as your materials are ready -- ideally still in the Round 1 timeframe (per other schools' deadlines). The reason why is because CBS fills up much of its class through the ED round and earlier applicants. It definitely gets tougher the longer you wait to hit submit. I've had STELLAR applicants who were simply shut out by the time December and January rolled around. Don't let that be you!

peterag wrote:
I am not applying ED.

I do want to apply to Columbia, and I know they review applications as they come in. What’s the optimal time to apply after ED deadline?

I don’t want them to think I’m not committed enough to Columbia if I apply close to the ED, but I also can’t make that sort of commitment (ED)

Posted from my mobile device
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
My STRONG suggestion is to have all the rest of your materials, take your GMAT and then submit shortly after in November. As I just mentioned in another comment, the CBS class will fill up sooner rather than later due to the ED class and its rolling admissions process, and waiting to apply until the December/January timeframe is risky. You have more than enough time to perfect the rest of your materials between now and November and then be ready to submit after your scores are in.

Best of luck!

HinaTabassum wrote:
I will be applying in Round 2. I have started working on my application though. Will give GMAT in November. So, can't apply in Round 1.
Director
Director
Send PM
SBCErikaOlson wrote:
My STRONG suggestion is to have all the rest of your materials, take your GMAT and then submit shortly after in November. As I just mentioned in another comment, the CBS class will fill up sooner rather than later due to the ED class and its rolling admissions process, and waiting to apply until the December/January timeframe is risky. You have more than enough time to perfect the rest of your materials between now and November and then be ready to submit after your scores are in.

Best of luck!

HinaTabassum wrote:

Thank you Erika. I plan to start working on my application soon.

I have a question, however. Even if I apply in November after I have my GMAT result, won't it still be Round 2?
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
CBS is not like other MBA programs in that it has "rolling admissions." Meaning that there ARE no "rounds" for CBS, aside from the Early Decision round (with a deadline in early October).

After the adcom reviews and decides upon all of its Early Decision applicants, they start taking applications in the order received and making decisions as they go. That is why it is advantageous to apply in November because the class won't be as full as it will in, say, January. Very different from all other MBA programs in this respect.

Hope that helps!

Erika

HinaTabassum wrote:
SBCErikaOlson wrote:

Best of luck!

HinaTabassum wrote:

Thank you Erika. I plan to start working on my application soon.

I have a question, however. Even if I apply in November after I have my GMAT result, won't it still be Round 2?
Director
Director
Send PM
It does help. Thank you. So, what I will do is, work on my applications alongside my preparation for GMAT, and, as soon as I have the scores, I will submit my application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM

Originally posted by Sunmoonstar8888 on 15 Jun 2018, 02:23.
Last edited by Sunmoonstar8888 on 31 Jan 2019, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10012 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
maged1893 wrote:
What's the usual timeline after I submit?

It's generally 2-3 weeks to get interview decision and 2 weeks for the final decision earlier in the summer. Around November and December, it can take up to 6 weeks to get interview decision.
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
To be clear, however, if you submit for Regular Decision (NOT Early Decision) you will still not hear until likely the end of November. They review all Early Decision applicants' files first, and that usually takes them from early October well into November, and THEN they begin Regular Decision on a rolling basis after that point.

And then as Narenn says below, once they've gotten into the swing of things the timeframes are about 6 weeks total after submission.

So I am not sure if it really makes sense for you to submit in early mid-August unless you think there is ZERO chance of anything else happening in your career that you might want to add onto your resume between that point and October, which is when I think is a good timeframe to shoot for if you are Regular Decision, so that you'll be one of the first applicants they review after they're done with the Early Decision applicants.

Hope that all makes sense!

Narenn wrote:
maged1893 wrote:

It's generally 2-3 weeks to get interview decision and 2 weeks for the final decision earlier in the summer. Around November and December, it can take up to 6 weeks to get interview decision.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Schools: CBS '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V39
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
This is very helpful. Thank you! Do you know when they start reviewing J-Term applications?

SBCErikaOlson wrote:
To be clear, however, if you submit for Regular Decision (NOT Early Decision) you will still not hear until likely the end of November. They review all Early Decision applicants' files first, and that usually takes them from early October well into November, and THEN they begin Regular Decision on a rolling basis after that point.

And then as Narenn says below, once they've gotten into the swing of things the timeframes are about 6 weeks total after submission.

So I am not sure if it really makes sense for you to submit in early mid-August unless you think there is ZERO chance of anything else happening in your career that you might want to add onto your resume between that point and October, which is when I think is a good timeframe to shoot for if you are Regular Decision, so that you'll be one of the first applicants they review after they're done with the Early Decision applicants.

Hope that all makes sense!

Narenn wrote:
maged1893 wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
I submitted my complete application on June 11. Nervously excited; waiting to hear from them!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
MBAHanover2018 wrote:

Where are you getting this data from? Terribly curious!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Absintheminded wrote:
I submitted my complete application on June 11. Nervously excited; waiting to hear from them!

best of luck!!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts