Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: IESE '21 (WL)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5204 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22043 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Need new GMAT material for reattempt [#permalink]
Expert Reply
tarun2040 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I took the GMAT recently and got a 700(Q50,V35). I applied to one of my dream schools and got rejected. Upon reflection, I realized that it is the GMAT that's the roadblock since schools find improving their Average GMAT is the way to attract top talent. Plus I belong to the worst profile there is - Indian IT Male. Anyways, the goal now is to improve GMAT to 750 or above.

I used all 6 OG tests, all 6 MGMAT tests previosly. I used e-Gmat for Verbal for my last attempt. I found Kaplan, Veritas to be below par and so was Magoosh (No offence). I used up all OG material there is for practice(official guides from '15, '17 and '18 and the question pack) and I'm now determined to retake the GMAT again but I'm running out of practice material and brand new mock tests. Looking for suggestions here on the same.

Things I can improve upon - My Quant is almost always 49 or 50. On a good day it is 50 and on an average day it is 49. I have been hitting an accuracy of 92% or more for SC. I find RC to be comfortable however the accuracy ranges between 65-95% depending on my level of focus. CR, especially assumptions and evaluate, is the major area I can improve upon. Also would like suggestions for improving from 700-750. I have gotten the 700 after improving from 580. I found 660 to 700 to be very steep but would like any input on what it takes to get to 750 from 700. The GMAT I have taken last was 2 months ago. Needless to say, gathering the will to decide to retake GMAT has been tough and all the GMAT coaching centers I was hoping to join(to be among a competitive group) do not offer classes for advanced students and I have to start from scratch again, something that doesn't make sense to me at this juncture. Looking forward for the suggestions. Thanks guys.

The good news is that a 700 is a great start! I agree that it will take some more dedicated prep to get your score to a 750, but if you stay positive and motivated, you can do it!! So, in your next round of studying, you really need to focus on keeping quant at an advanced level (or even try to improve to a 51) as well as driving up your verbal score.

For verbal, although a V35 is not your end goal, it really is a solid point to be at, so now you need to build off of the verbal foundations you’ve made. Thus, you’ll need to study each topic “with a fine-toothed comb” to determine your exact weaknesses and improve your verbal skills to an advanced level.

For instance, for Critical Reasoning, practice questions in: strengthen and weaken the argument, resolve the paradox, find the conclusion, must be true, etc. Once complete, do a thorough analysis of each incorrect question. If you got a weakening question wrong, ask yourself why you got it wrong. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific CR question type? Were you doing too much work in your head? By thoroughly analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to more efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your Critical Reasoning knowledge. You can also follow this process for Reading Comprehension and Sentence Correction questions.

For quant, although you probably do not need to do as intense prep, I would continue to do some mixed problem sets so you can make sure your quant knowledge stays fresh. Of course, as you get certain questions wrong, be sure to refresh on those topics so you don’t lose any ground in quant.

Regarding new materials, I think the best place to look would be here on GMAT Club. Read through specific GMAT Club reviews for the best quant courses and for the best verbal courses.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions. Let’s do this!!
GMAT Club Bot
Need new GMAT material for reattempt [#permalink]