Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [14]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [4]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [3]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [3]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Re: In the aftermath of the Cold War, international relations between Cold [#permalink]
Kudos
nightblade354 wrote:
In the aftermath of the Cold War, international relations between Cold War allies became more difficult. Leaders of previously allied nations were required to conduct tactful economic negotiations in order not to arouse tensions that had previously been overlooked.

The situation described above conforms most closely to which one of the following propositions?

(A) International economic competition is a greater cause of tension than is international military competition
(B) Bonds between allies are stronger when they derive from fear of a common enemy than when they derive from common economic goals
(C) When there is a military commitment between countries, fundamental agreement between them on economic matters is more easily reached
(D) Economic matters are considered unimportant during periods of actual or threatened war
(E) A common enemy contributes to a strengthened bond between nations, enabling them to ignore economic tensions that would otherwise be problematic

Source: LSAT

Kudos will be given for all correct solutions posted before the OA!

i will go for E

here is my reasoning
:-)

(A) International economic competition is a greater cause of tension than is international military competition

it talks about econimic competition, but the main topic is about international relations and econmic tensions hence A is out

(B) Bonds between allies are stronger when they derive from fear of a common enemy than when they derive from common economic goals

we dont talk about fear of common enemy (we are concerned about tensions) hence B is out

(C) When there is a military commitment between countries, fundamental agreement between them on economic matters is more easily reached

is it mentioned somewhere millitary commotment ? its not about reachng agreement, but about conductiong tactful negotiations hence C is out

(D) Economic matters are considered unimportant during periods of actual or threatened war

this option contradcts the argument. Economic matters are considered important cause conducted negotions to avoid previous mistakes hence D option is out

(E) A common enemy contributes to a strengthened bond between nations, enabling them to ignore economic tensions that would otherwise be problematic

this one says that Cold War allies conduct negotiations to ignore economic tensions! exactly! hence i i vote for E :) YAY!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: In the aftermath of the Cold War, international relations between Cold [#permalink]
Why B is not answer. Please explain?
Please tell the meaning of the question. Is this assumption question or strengthen question?
Confuse
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [1]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
viveknegi wrote:
Why B is not answer. Please explain?
Please tell the meaning of the question. Is this assumption question or strengthen question?
Confuse

I would say this as an assumption question, as you are asked to compare various statements to the original paragraph and identify the one which matches best concerning the meaning.

In my take on this question I eliminated choice B for two different reasons:

1. It talks about the fear of a common enemy, although this is something which might be true for cold war allies, it is not stated in the original passage itself.
2. The sentence mentions "common" economic goals, however we are not told that the economic goals of the fomer cold war allies are necessarily common.

Hope this helps clarify.

Best regards,
Chris
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [2]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos