Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Word Problemsx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618548 [109]
Given Kudos: 81561
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [36]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6269 [21]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
General Discussion
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16829 [8]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Re: Last year, in a certain housing development, the average (arithmetic m [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Solution

Given:

• We are given that the average price of 20 houses is $160,000.
To find:

• We need to find if the price of 9 of the 20 houses is less than the average price i.e $160,000 or not.

Approach and Working:

Statement 1: Last year the greatest price of one of the 20 houses was $219,000.
This does not give us any information about the pricing of remaining 19 houses. Thus, we cannot say whether 9 of the 20 houses are priced less than $160,000 or not.

Statement 2: Last year the median of the prices of the 20 houses was $150,000.
In a set of 20 numbers, the median is the 10th and 11th term or median = 10th term + 11th term/2

Thus, we can get median= $150,000 in two cases:
    • When the values of both, 10th and 11th term is $150,000.
    • Or, when 10th term is as less from $150,000 as 11th term is greater than $150,000.

However, in both the cases at least 10 terms will be less than $150,000.

Hence, statement 2 is sufficient to get the answer.

Answer: B
Re: Last year, in a certain housing development, the average (arithmetic m [#permalink]
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Last year, in a certain housing development, the average (arithmetic mean) price of 20 new houses was $160,000. Did more than 9 of the 20 houses have prices that were less than the average price last year?

(1) Last year the greatest price of one of the 20 houses was $219,000.
(2) Last year the median of the prices of the 20 houses was $150,000.

NEW question from GMAT® Official Guide 2019

(DS05269)

Questions dealing with average, mean, and std can often be solved with logic, without explicit calculations.
We'll look for such an answer, a Logical approach.

(1) Knowing only one of the 20 values isn't enough, we can, for example, use one house to balance out the $219,000 and divide the rest however we like. They could all be exactly $160,00 (answering the question with NO) or could have more than 9 be a bit less than $160,000 and the rest a bit more than $160,000) (giving YES)
Insufficient.

(2) If the median was $150,000 then either 10 or 11 houses cost less than or equal to $150,000 (depending on if the two middle values were equal or not) meaning the answer to our question must be YES - at least 9 houses had less than $160,000.

(B) is our answer.

DavidTutorexamPAL
Quote:
at least 9 houses had less than $160,000.

Is it at least 9 or 10?
It seems that it should be at least 10 houses had less than $160,000.
Am I missing anything?
Thanks__
Bunuel wrote:
Last year, in a certain housing development, the average (arithmetic mean) price of 20 new houses was $160,000. Did more than 9 of the 20 houses have prices that were less than the average price last year?

Hello Experts,
EMPOWERgmatRichC, VeritasKarishma, IanStewart, Bunuel, chetan2u, ArvindCrackVerbal, GMATGuruNY, AaronPond, GMATinsight, ccooley, RonPurewal
The wording of the statement 1 does not make sense to me. Could you help me, please?
Which one from the following could be better version?

a) Last year the greatest price of one of the 20 houses was $219,000
VS
b) Last year the greatest price of one of the 20 houses was $219,000
Quote:

Doesn't version a) mean ''there are more than 1 houses which carry highest prices''? How can more than one house be highest at a time?
Thanks__
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3134 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Expert Reply
Asad wrote:
How can more than one house be highest at a time?
Thanks__

Consider five houses with the following prices:
{100, 150, 200, 200, 200}
Of the three prices in the set above -- 100, 150, and 200 -- 200 is the greatest.
Three of the five houses have the greatest price (200).
Thus, it is possible for more than one house to have the greatest price.

Originally posted by GMATGuruNY on 02 May 2020, 03:18.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on 02 May 2020, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9238 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Asad wrote:
The wording of the statement 1 does not make sense to me. Could you help me, please?

VS
Quote:

Doesn't version a) mean ''there are more than 1 houses which carry highest prices''? How can more than one house be highest at a time?
Thanks__

I agree that the wording of Statement 1 is not ideal, since it seems to be talking about just one house in the group, and what the greatest price of that one house was, as if the house was sold several times at different prices and $219,000 was the highest price at which it sold. It would be better if it read "Last year the greatest price of any of the 20 houses was $219,000". But it's still clear what Statement 1 means.

I don't agree with the post above that suggests Statement 1 implies that exactly one house sold for $219,000. It simply conveys that no house sold for more than $219,000.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13374 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Asad wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hello Experts,

VS
Quote:

Thanks__

Hi Asad

The language of the statement as mentioned in Question is apt.

The question clearly intends to tell you that one of the 20 houses which is marked at highest price was 219000

I think it's more of a SC doubt than Quant Doubt. :D just kidding.

But yeah, the language as mentioned is perfect.
IanStewart wrote:
Asad wrote:

VS
Quote:

Thanks__

I agree that the wording of Statement 1 is not ideal, since it seems to be talking about just one house in the group, and what the greatest price of that one house was, as if the house was sold several times at different prices and $219,000 was the highest price at which it sold. It would be better if it read "Last year the greatest price of any of the 20 houses was $219,000". But it's still clear what Statement 1 means.

I don't agree with the post above that suggests Statement 1 implies that exactly one house sold for $219,000. It simply conveys that no house sold for more than $219,000.

IanStewart
So, do you want to mean that ''in these 20, the two prices (19th house and 20th house prices) could be $219,000 and $219,000, respectively''?
Thanks Ian...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Asad wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hello Experts,
EMPOWERgmatRichC, VeritasKarishma, IanStewart, Bunuel, chetan2u, ArvindCrackVerbal, GMATGuruNY, AaronPond, GMATinsight, ccooley, RonPurewal

VS
Quote:

Thanks__

Hello Asad,

Statement I is probably intended to be confusing. We are all used to the idea of the superlative being ONE value and that’s probably what this statement uses in a way to make the statement sound confusing.

My 2 cents on this - imagine that there are 20 students in a class and you say the “the greatest height of one of the students is 160cm”. This means that there is a possibility that there are more than one students who are 160cm tall. The GREATEST height is 160 cm, so there cannot be a number greater than 160 that represents the height; there can be more than one student who has this number as his/her height.

On the other hand, if you say “The tallest of the 20 students is 170 cm tall”, this means that there is ONE unique student who is 170 cm tall.

So, it really depends on what the adjective “greatest” modifies, in such questions. As GMATinsight has mentioned, there’s a small element of SC involved here that can lead to better comprehension of the statement.
Hope that helps!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64879 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Asad wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hello Experts,

VS
Quote:

Thanks__

Yeah, not a fan of the wording.

(1) Last year the greatest price of one of the 20 houses was $219,000

We are talking about one of the houses. Looks like the price keeps fluctuating. So the greatest price last year that it reached was $219,000.
Doesn't look like we are comparing prices of different houses.

To do that, it has to be "any of the houses".

Taking the whole question into consideration, I understand that they are talking about one price point in the year for each house. So perhaps what they mean to say is that there was a house with price = 219k and no other house had a price more than this. In any case, it is obvious that stmnt 1 is not sufficient.
Thankfully, stmnt 2 is sufficient alone.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi

Could anyone please advise of an efficient way of testing statement 1? I found that it took me awfully long to come up with the bookend scenarios: 1 house priced less than average and 19 houses priced less than average. EMPOWERgmatRichC could you please advise?

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [3]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos