Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: 720 good enough to apply to HBS, GSB and Wharton? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
It sounds like you are generally in the range in terms of GPA & GMAT so that's good news! (although for the GMAT higher is obviously always better! You want to at least hit a school's average but ideally you want to exceed it). That said, GPA & GMAT are just a small part of what determines the overall strength of your application. The adcom will want to know what kind of impact you've had in your career so far - have you driven particular results, played a leadership role, etc. That will also want to know WHY your passion is PE. What exactly do you hope to accomplish in your goals & why? And why do you need the MBA to get there? In other words, what skill gaps do you need to fill & why is xyz school the perfect place to fill those gaps?

Likewise, it's good that you have volunteer experience but again they will want to see what kind of impact you've had, what kind of leadership role you've played, etc.

So long story short, it sounds like your stats are generally in the right range but a lot of other factors will be the keys to determining the strength of your application & your shot at these schools!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Thanks for the input,

Would 720 and 750 make a difference? Assuming my resume, essays, work experiences all the same, I was told by some that 30 points won't make a difference on my apps to HBS and GSB.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
A 750 is always going to be stronger than a 720. I think it depends on two things: 1) Your demographic: If you are an Indian male engineer, a 720 is a bit of a so so score & a 750 is going to be much more competitive. If you are not an Indian male engineer then you will just be compared to a school's overall average rather than a demographic that tends to have very high scores. It is extremely difficult to differentiate yourself as an Indian male engineer, so any chance you have to not be seen as "average" or worse yet, "below average" is important to consider 2) How much time & energy would it take you to bump your score up from 720 to 750+? If you could put in 2-3 weeks of studying & get your score up pretty easily, without taking time away from other parts of your applications, then it's definitely worth putting in that effort and going for it (especially right now when a lot of schools have not released their essay prompts yet). BUT if it's going to take months of effort for you to get your score up then your time is better spent on other parts of your application so you can really give your essays, etc your best shot & apply R1 to as many schools as possible.

I hope that helps!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
bondtradercu wrote:
Guys,

I will be applying R1 this year and my top 3 choices are HBS, GSB and Wharton.

Some of my stats are:

- GMAT: 720 (Q49/ V40)
- GPA: 3.6 - top liberal arts college
- Experience: IBD at a BB, PE after
- Quite extensive volunteer experience

Thanks for all the input guys!

To be honest there is just too much information missing for me to be able to give you a credible profile evaluation at this point, but you are welcome to reach out to the ARINGO team here:https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration/ with some more information about yourself for a free, non-binding profile evaluation.

Alternatively, you can also use the ARINGO Admissions Chances Calculator in order to get a better idea of where you stand. You’ll find it here: https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot