Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [1]
Given Kudos: 18859
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [1]
Given Kudos: 18859
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: First Post - General Question [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
No worries and no problem at all. It may be a faster/easier test. However, it has some pitfalls - you can only take it twice and you can't look up your scores online (it is much less popular and you will find it a bit harder finding people who are also practicing for the EA vs. the GMAT). However, I was asking to see if you considered it.

P.S. Arrival of a child will be a huge change to you. Prepare to be useless for at least 3 months and your brain power will go down substantially due to sleep deprivation. It is crazy but torture by sleep deprivation really works. It will change who you are as well (not a bad thing) but it will change your priorities and your perspective on life since you will have someone fully dependent on you.

I don't really know what to recommend to you. I guess i would research things, make notes, look into profile evaluations and consider what you can do but I would not recommend starting your studies for the GMAT or EA unless you are positive you can finish it before your little one arrives since it will then create a break in your studies (or if you have paternity leave at work, you may be able to use to your advantage) but I am hesitant to recommend starting your studies since you will be so consumed and lost with the new one and basically will waste this time and have to restart a few months later.

P.S. If my rambling does not make any sense, that's because I have 2 children and i am no longer able to focus ;-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Excellent advice. Thank you so much for taking out the time to respond. I do agree with you regarding my decision to start studies with a month left for delivery. I wish I had thought about this earlier.

Love to your kids :-)

Regards!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi dacoffee,

As BB has mentioned, depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you might be able to avoid having to take the GMAT altogether. If you don't know which Schools you're interested in yet, then that's fine, but you might want to put a little time into that research. Once you have a list, you can dig into the individual Programs in more detail and define what's 'needed' as part of each Program's application process.

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores on the GMAT, so you might want to wait and see how your life changes once your baby has arrived. Studying for a month - and then potentially having to stop altogether before restarting 'from scratch' later on - would probably not be an efficient use of your time.

All of that having been said, once you do decide to commit to a study plan, it would be a good idea to start off with a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot