Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

LBS MIF vs Rotman MBA

100% [1]
0% [0]
Tags:
LBSx   Rotmanx   
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [2]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [1]
Send PM
LBS MIF vs UT Rotman MBA [#permalink]
viviatan wrote:
billionaire Thanks so much for your super detailed answer! This really gives me some clear directions!

Hi viviatan

I am glad I was of use to you, so you can make wise choice regarding your future and your career.

I am guessing that you are leaning toward Rotman MBA, because of additional gain of citizenship in your specific case.
If that is the choice what major would you choose ?

Which is great with Rotman MBA is that later upon graduation you can pursue general MBA menagement route and financial one, since you will cover that with specialization electives, that in the end will give you very similar background as MIF would.
Furthermore, you mention what job positions are your prime target and thats okay, just with MBA option you get possibly more to choose afterwards, and we all tend to change or fine tune our opinions and desires through time, so stay open-minded.

On the other hand, you cannot go wrong with LBS MIF and that would especially be recommended for landing later job at Asian or European market. Just in process of studying there you would not be able to obtain Canadian citizenship, which is benefit for life.

Of course there would be some other options to secure citizenship later but they would be maybe more complicated, less easy and probably for longer waiting period.

It comes to this, how much does citizenship worth to you, versus doing LBS MIF ? (of course Rotman MBA has other advantages also)
Where would you like to work and live later, you must have some preference ?

Based on those two questtions you should be able to get your answer.

Good news is that you cannot be much wrong whatever you choose, just slightly more right toward your particular needs :)

Originally posted by billionaire on 31 May 2018, 15:07.
Last edited by billionaire on 31 May 2018, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [3]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
Send PM
Re: LBS MIF vs UT Rotman MBA [#permalink]
Kudos
Firstly if The Economist was biased towards european schools then it wouldn't have placed 'all american' schools in its top ten B school list.
Secondly LBS is layers above Rotman in terms of reputation globally. Not many know about Rotman. And this is not even debatable.
Having said that Rotman is known for finance and if you wish to work in Canada and are dead set on it then go for it. Otherwise LBS is leagues above in terms of international opportunities and recognition.

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Maupassant9 wrote:
Firstly if The Economist was biased towards european schools then it wouldn't have placed 'all american' schools in its top ten B school list.
Secondly LBS is layers above Rotman in terms of reputation globally. Not many know about Rotman. And this is not even debatable.
Having said that Rotman is known for finance and if you wish to work in Canada and are dead set on it then go for it. Otherwise LBS is leagues above in terms of international opportunities and recognition.

Hi Maupassant9

Dont you think there is good reason, that there is all American in top 10 (this year) ? :)

Secondly, I have follow their (Economist, FT) rankings for many years, so I do know what I am talking about. In general they favor first UK schools, then European, then Asian versus American, so you would see all the time them ranked higher versus in other esteemed rankings, like US News, Bloomberg, Forbes etc.

Of course we can argue that American magazines favor their schools, also.

But lets see some of their bias. On Economist list there are The University of Queensland, University of Navarra, University of Warwick before Sloan MIT MBA ??

Good luck finding anyone here on GMAT Club who would pass on MIT MBA to go to those universities. :) I mean seriously :)

I can see you are only interested in American schools ? For a good reason again :)

I wouldn't say it easier to get admitted to Duke, even maybe Kenan-Flagler and Vanderbilt before LBS, so why LBS are not on your list ?

The answer is that rankings are not all there is, there are also personal preferences that spread in many categories and aspects.

Most importantly, here we are not talking to MBA to MBA comparison, it is Rotman MBA to LBS MIF.

Here on GMAT Club you will find that in applicants opinion LBS is placed on 18. place versus 20. for Rotman (again this is MBA to MBA comparison) and only Ivy league Cornell between them on 19. place.

That tells something don't you think ?

Rotman is the best there could be in Canada. Sauder UBC is second.

In US everybody knows Rotman and University of Toronto.

Of course in Europe and Asia, LBS is better known and branded.

Good luck Maupassant9 I wish you to be admitted to all schools on your list (it is a great list) ! Especially Duke :)

Bellow you will find Economist tool comparison of Duke vs. LBS vs. Kenan-Flagler vs. Vanderbilt, for your reference (and to prove my point :) )

Of course I will repeat once again, viviatan cannot go wrong with LBS MIF, it is great branded school, great program, great city, just question is where he has slightly more to gain depending on his specific circumstances ?

It is for him to answer.
Attachments

Economist comparison.png
Economist comparison.png [ 36.68 KiB | Viewed 5769 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
Send PM
Point conceded.:)

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Hi billionaire, it may surprise you but I actually lean more towards LBS as I do want to experience studying and working in London and I can come back to Canada after that anyway :) I understand that Rotman MBA has a lot of great Finance and general management courses, but by following my heart, I still want to go to London. I will do think about do a MBA to learn other area instead of Finance thereafter...who knows... Thanks a lot for your inputs!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Maupassant9 Thanks so much for your sharing your opinion! Actually, I was thinking that LBS is not well known in North America, especially compared with LSE and Rotman, and that's what I was worried about and struggling before. But I talked to different people around and find it is not bad, so I lean toward LBS now for the main reason that I want to study and work in London.

But Rotman is definitely a great school too, best in Canada, great for Finance, and respected in North America. To be honest, this is the most difficult decision I have made during my life!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [0]
Send PM
LBS MIF vs UT Rotman MBA [#permalink]
viviatan wrote:
Hi billionaire, it may surprise you but I actually lean more towards LBS as I do want to experience studying and working in London and I can come back to Canada after that anyway :) I understand that Rotman MBA has a lot of great Finance and general management courses, but by following my heart, I still want to go to London. I will do think about do a MBA to learn other area instead of Finance thereafter...who knows... Thanks a lot for your inputs!

Hi viviatan

Great, follow your heart and gut and go to London.

Internal voice is never wrong.

You will have great experience studying and living there and certainly be in excellent position to land job in London upon graduation.

Don't worry LSE is certainly not better school than LBS just older institution with more theoretical and social science focus vs. LBS is more modern, practical business school, whose curriculum is mainly focused on real-life case studies and the development of leadership skills, both on post-graduate and on executive education levels.

According to various rankings, LBS is constantly one of the top 3 business schools in Europe.

I myself would choose LBS over LSE every day of the week :)

Moreover, LSE would be probably more suitable for someone who wants to work in academia after graduation vs. LBS that is perfect for corporate/business market job prospective, so that is also your advantage.

Pack your things and go to London.

Bring umbrella :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi billionaire , your answer dispels my last misgivings :)

I am now well ready to head to London!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
viviatan wrote:
Hi All,

I am from Western Canada with 4 years WE in Mutual Fund Operations in global asset management firm. I recently got admitted by LBS MIF and Rotman MBA. Can I please gather your opinions between these two :-)

I would like to move to front office roles in finance industry, such as IB/PE/VC/AM. I don't mind where to work. But I have PR status so I may need to come back to Canada eventually to get citizenship and then I can work anywhere if there are good opportunties. What I am struggling now is that I think LBS is more globally recognized than Rotman. However, MBA has better reputation than Finance Masters, although MIF of LBS is ranked 1st place with QS and FT.

Really appreciate if anyone can shed some lights!

Thanks!

When it comes to Finance LBS is among the best Europe has to offer. Also due to location I would prefer London over Toronto (much stronger financial sector in London when it comes to jobs afterwards and internships)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts