Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1128 [189]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [30]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [16]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [4]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
Let’s look at the stimulus given-

In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily.

Conclusion- Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.

The number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.

We have to weaken the conclusion that the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.

Let’s look at the answer choices-

(A) Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree
The conclusion is about the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree. How much they earn is beyond the scope of the conclusion. Eliminate.

(B) The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several years.
Even though the premise states that the number of students enrolled in college has been growing steadily, option B says that the average number of Kravonian college students who remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing. In that case, we cannot say that the number of Kravoanians entering the job market with a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been- the number of students enrolled has been increasing but the number of students who remain enrolled before completing a degree has also been increasing. Option B weakens the conclusion and is hence correct.

(C) Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries.
C compares the percentage of the population attending college in Kravonia and in other countries. Irrelevant. Eliminate.

(D) In recent years, employers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.
What we have to weaken is the conclusion that the number of Kravoanians entering the job market with a college degree will eventually be significantly higher. Irrelevant. Eliminate.

(E) For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.
Irrelevant. Eliminate.

VP
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [4]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree ha [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
By POE, I am left with option 'B'.

Conclusion is that the no. of Kravonians entering the job market with a college degree, would be higher than it was over the last years. We need to find a statement that weakens it.

A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree. Irrelevant.
B. The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several of years.
C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries. Comparison with other countries is irrelevant .
D. In recent years, employers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees. It supports the conclusion.
E. For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available. Irrelevant
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 509 [8]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Kudos
scorpio7 wrote:
In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

Graduates earn more than Not-graduates. More and more people go to college.
Conclusion: Therefore, there will eventually be more graduates entering the job market than in the past.

To weaken this conclusion, we need to find a reason why the graduates would not enter (or enter at a lowered rate) the job market.

A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree
The distinction between single and double majors is out of scope.
B. The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several of years.
This is the OA. Yet, I am not in love with it, for the AC reads that "the average number of years" has been extended, while the argument reads that the number of graduates entering the market "will eventually be significantly higher". No matter how the college period has been extended, it cannot last forever, thus the graduates will eventually enter the market in significantly increased number. Please have your say on that.
C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries.
Both the percentage and the comparison are irrelevant.
D. In recent years, empoyers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.
This was my answer. I've conjectured that the increased number of enrollments is a result of higher requirements for the current working force. The graduates would then not enter the job market as they would not have left it at all. True, this is based on the assumption that the employers demand that the workers go to college. However, this assumption seemed to me just to be drawn on this AC, so I've fallen into it. Please discuss.
E. For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.
This does not influence the fact that the new graduates will be entering the job market.

I bumped on this question in my mock test and marked it incorrectly. After longer consideration I am still not convinced with the OA. Experts, I would be glad to hear your explanation of this problem. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Hi experts:

The conclusion states that the job market for who have at least a college degree will **eventually** increase significantly.

I rejected B because it says that students stay in college longer than before until graduation. How does this weaken the conclusion? The students are still going to graduate. It does not say that the students never graduate. Hence, there will be an increased number of students with college degree and by definition the number of students with a college degree will be higher than it has been over the past few years (the conclusion).

I chose D because my thought process was as such:
Employers have been requiring college degrees for jobs performed by workers without these degrees; hence, these workers will either go back to college and earn the degree, or current degree holders will do this job. This doesn't mean that the # of students will be higher. I can see the viewpoint that if the current non-degree people go and get degrees for these jobs, then they will add to the population of degree-holders; thus, this could be viewed as a strengthening choice, but still seemed better than B.

Any advice on how to tackle issues like this on test day?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 620
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
strivingFor800 wrote:
Hi experts:

The conclusion states that the job market for who have at least a college degree will **eventually** increase significantly.

I rejected B because it says that students stay in college longer than before until graduation. How does this weaken the conclusion? The students are still going to graduate. It does not say that the students never graduate. Hence, there will be an increased number of students with college degree and by definition the number of students with a college degree will be higher than it has been over the past few years (the conclusion).

Employers have been requiring college degrees for jobs performed by workers without these degrees; hence, these workers will either go back to college and earn the degree, or current degree holders will do this job. This doesn't mean that the # of students will be higher. I can see the viewpoint that if the current non-degree people go and get degrees for these jobs, then they will add to the population of degree-holders; thus, this could be viewed as a strengthening choice, but still seemed better than B.

The passage does NOT say that the number of students ENTERING college has increased. It just says that the number ENROLLED as been increasing.

If the number ENTERING college remains constant while the average number of years enrolled increases (choice B), then the total number ENROLLED any given year will increase. In other words, if B is true, then the number of students ENROLLED can increase even if the number entering each year remains the same. If the number entering does not increase, then the number who graduate with a college degree will not increase.

(B) definitely weakens the argument.

I hope this helps!

GMATNinja
Hi GMATNinja,

Although your explanations have always helped me a lot, I was not able to digest this one.
How is # of people Enrolling in a college is different from those entering the college.(unless they get rejected in an exam,which is out of scope here)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [11]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
pratik521992 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
strivingFor800 wrote:
Hi experts:

The passage does NOT say that the number of students ENTERING college has increased. It just says that the number ENROLLED as been increasing.

If the number ENTERING college remains constant while the average number of years enrolled increases (choice B), then the total number ENROLLED any given year will increase. In other words, if B is true, then the number of students ENROLLED can increase even if the number entering each year remains the same. If the number entering does not increase, then the number who graduate with a college degree will not increase.

(B) definitely weakens the argument.

I hope this helps!

Hi GMATNinja,

Although your explanations have always helped me a lot, I was not able to digest this one.
How is # of people Enrolling in a college is different from those entering the college.(unless they get rejected in an exam,which is out of scope here)

I’m happy to follow up and clarify, pratik521992.

My point is not that the act of enrolling in college is different from the act of entering college. My point is that, for any given year, counting the number of students newly enrolled is quite different from counting the number of students who have already entered, and therefore remain enrolled.

Quote:
(B) The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several years.

Choice (B) clearly refers to students already enrolled and tells us that these students remain in college longer than in previous years. Absent any other new information, this means that the overall graduation rate is not going to increase significantly, because with each year that passes we will see fewer students, on average, reaching the end of their coursework.

If we were also told that graduation rates are rising, or that the rate of students entering Kravonian college is rising, then this wouldn’t be such a clear weakener. But we are given no other information. Because (B) changes a single variable — the amount of time existing students remain in school before graduating — it weakens the argument in a very targeted way.

I hope this is a helpful follow-up!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
KarishmaB broall GMATNinjaTwo nightblade354
Can you please explain why OA A is out of scope?
If more people are enrolled because they are going for multi degree so no increase in the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree.
Since at least the qualification of a college degree is mentioned we can think of more than one degree.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
If in my explanation of a question I resort to the Poe technique, then somewhere there is some thing that I don't yet get about that question. Poe is a result of a process of analysis, usually one that leads to a contradiction. It is not the analysis itself.

Furthermore, it is hardly possible to eliminate an answer by labeling it irrelevant. How do we establish the relevance of an answer? If we do not disclose the basis for our judgment, then others cannot possibly evaluate our argument, save by saying it rests upon certain assumptions.

If I consider option A, then I can weigh its relevance by considering whether its meaning-content is damaging to the conclusion. If option A is a weakener, then its meaning-content would have to dispel a key assumption of the argument. Therefore we can reverse the content and ask, If Kravonian double-degree graduates earned significant more or significantly less, or as much as - would the conclusion be more plausible? If so, then option A is likely a weakener.

In this particular case, few perhaps were the people to go for option A. But still, it is technique that counts. My own naive intuition also says to instantly dismiss A, but in a real exam environment, option A would have been pitched right at my then-maximum difficulty tolerance. When facing an adaptive opponent, it becomes necessary to apply solid technical skill, or the analysis will suffer.

As they say in Amsterdam,
SUCCESS!

In Kravonia, the average salary for jobs requiring a college degree has always been higher than the average salary for jobs that do not require a degree. Over the last few years, the number of Kravonians enrolled in college has been growing steadily. Therefore, the number of Kravonians entering the job market who have at least the qualification of a college degree will eventually be significantly higher than it has been over the last few years.

(A) Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree

(C) Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries.

(D) In recent years, employers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees.

(E) For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available.

aknine wrote:
By POE, I am left with option 'B'.

Conclusion is that the no. of Kravonians entering the job market with a college degree, would be higher than it was over the last years. We need to find a statement that weakens it.

A. Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree. Irrelevant.
C. Despite the increase in the number of Kravonians attending college, the percentage of the population attending college is lower in Kravonia than in most other countries. Comparison with other countries is irrelevant .
D. In recent years, employers have been requiring college degrees for workers in jobs that were previously performed successfully by Kravonians who did not have college degrees. It supports the conclusion.
E. For many years, employers in Kravonia have had difficulty finding enough college graduates to fill the high-paying jobs that were available. Irrelevant
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5736 [3]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
teaserbae and OmerPelman

Let's break the argument down:

Background is in blue
Premise is in pink
Conclusion is in green

-- We have established that C - E are incorrect, so no need to review them in your case.

(A) Kravonians with more than one college degree earn little more, on average, than do Kravonians with only one college degree -- So we are talking about wages vs. college degrees. How does this weaken our conclusion that more qualified people will not enter the market? It doesn't. In the conclusion, it says "at least", so this implies more than one degree. Further, it does not help counter WHY qualified people will not enter the workforce. In addition, we are told that they are already in college, so they will graduate at some point, unless stated otherwise (which would be a weakener!).

(B) The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several years. -- Interesting. Our conclusion noted "in a few years" and our answer here says "several years". We are also told that students are going to be staying longer in school, thus pushing their graduation date back, thus reducing the number of students in the workforce. Based on the answers, this is by far the best one!

It seems both of you were caught up on the premise and not the conclusion. Use the conclusion to guide you to the correct answer.

-- Does this help?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
nightblade354 wrote:
teaserbae and OmerPelman

(B) The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several years. -- [color=#00ff00]Interesting. Our conclusion noted "in a few years" and our answer here says "several years". We are also told that students are going to be staying longer in school, thus pushing their graduation date back, thus reducing the number of students in the workforce. Based on the answers, this is by far the best one!

-- Does this help?

I got this answer via process of elimination, however I am not that happy with it. I find the word play "in a few" / "several" a little to open for interpretation. :(

However, my complains aside, option B is the only one that weakens the statement.
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5736 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
Arro44 wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:
teaserbae and OmerPelman

(B) The average number of years Kravonian college students remain enrolled before completing a degree has been increasing over the past several years. -- [color=#00ff00]Interesting. Our conclusion noted "in a few years" and our answer here says "several years". We are also told that students are going to be staying longer in school, thus pushing their graduation date back, thus reducing the number of students in the workforce. Based on the answers, this is by far the best one!

-- Does this help?

I got this answer via process of elimination, however I am not that happy with it. I find the word play "in a few" / "several" a little to open for interpretation. :(

However, my complains aside, option B is the only one that weakens the statement.

Arro44, my thoughts exactly. The ambiguity caused by using them as synonyms hurt the cause. The number will go up at some point, but to use two different words to state that made this far more difficult to explain than it should have been. Either way, the answer is truly the only one that weakens it.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [12]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos