Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51449 [51]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [54]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [31]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [9]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin has state [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Before analyzing the question, let read the question stem carefully:
Which of the following research studies, if completed, would be most likely to provide evidence DIRECTLY relating to the anthropologist’s hypothesis?
Any indirect related research is wrong.

The anthropologist hypothesizes:

Tattooing in Western cultures over the last 10-15 years is due to desire to express individuality in an environment in which other personal decorations, including clothing and jewelry, are mass-produced

Assumptions:

(1) Over 10-15 years, express individuality is the main reason for tattooing. ==> If it is NOT the main reason, ==> the hypothesis fails.
(2) Over 10-15 years, personal decorations have NOT expressed individuality ==> If clothing and jewelry that are mass-produced do express individuality ==> The hypothesis fails

Analyze each answer:

A. A study examining the attitudes in several Western cultures toward mass-produced clothing and jewelry.
Wrong. Out of scope. We do not talk about the "attitude to ward mass-produced" here.

B. A study that systematically interviews people with tattoos less than 15 years old to discover their reasons for tattooing.
Correct. Please read carefully. It says exactly the assumption (1) above. We just talk about the reasoning for tattooing over 10-15 years.

C. A study surveying the work of other anthropologists on tattooing as a mode of self-identification.
Wrong. Clearly of of scope.

D. A study of the most common designs for tattoos over the last 10-15 years that could determine correlations between popular images and culture.

E. A study comparing ancient and modern designs for tattoos that could reveal the way shifts in images reflect shifts in culture.

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Schools: Duke '16
Send PM
Re: An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin has state [#permalink]
pqhai wrote:
Before analyzing the question, let read the question stem carefully:
Which of the following research studies, if completed, would be most likely to provide evidence DIRECTLY relating to the anthropologist’s hypothesis?
Any indirect related research is wrong.

The anthropologist hypothesizes:

Tattooing in Western cultures over the last 10-15 years is due to desire to express individuality in an environment in which other personal decorations, including clothing and jewelry, are mass-produced

Assumptions:

(1) Over 10-15 years, express individuality is the main reason for tattooing. ==> If it is NOT the main reason, ==> the hypothesis fails.
(2) Over 10-15 years, personal decorations have NOT expressed individuality ==> If clothing and jewelry that are mass-produced do express individuality ==> The hypothesis fails

Analyze each answer:

A. A study examining the attitudes in several Western cultures toward mass-produced clothing and jewelry.
Wrong. Out of scope. We do not talk about the "attitude to ward mass-produced" here.

B. A study that systematically interviews people with tattoos less than 15 years old to discover their reasons for tattooing.
Correct. Please read carefully. It says exactly the assumption (1) above. We just talk about the reasoning for tattooing over 10-15 years.

C. A study surveying the work of other anthropologists on tattooing as a mode of self-identification.

D. A study of the most common designs for tattoos over the last 10-15 years that could determine correlations between popular images and culture.

E. A study comparing ancient and modern designs for tattoos that could reveal the way shifts in images reflect shifts in culture.

Hope it helps

GREAT ANSWER!!! Very detailed

Despite the answer being correct I have found that this passage also takes into assumption that a method of qualitative research would suffice to obtain accurate results. One could argue that a quantitative or mixed approach form of research over 10-15 years would actually provide more accurate results.

In the world of academics you would find this too be very true. Look at you lecturers and you will notice a huge divide between those who would say qualitative is a better form of research and other qualitative and others who would say mixed method research is indeed superior.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Would you agree with this?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
GREAT ANSWER!!! Very detailed

Madzstar.
Thanks so much for your kind comment. I appreciate.

Quote:
Despite the answer being correct I have found that this passage also takes into assumption that a method of qualitative research would suffice to obtain accurate results. One could argue that a quantitative or mixed approach form of research over 10-15 years would actually provide more accurate results.

In the world of academics you would find this too be very true. Look at you lecturers and you will notice a huge divide between those who would say qualitative is a better form of research and other qualitative and others who would say mixed method research is indeed superior.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Would you agree with this?

I absolutely agree. We don't need two stones for 1 bird. :) One shot is enough.

Regards.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [4]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Kudos
IMHO the correct answer is (B).

The following is my approach:

Researcher’s hypothesis: The surge in tattooing popularity in Western cultures over the last 10-15 years is BECAUSE OF a desire to express individuality despite an increase in the mass production of other forms of personal decoration, such as clothing and jewelry.
In another word, the researcher hypothesizes that in order to express individuality, Western people prefer tattoo to other means of personal decoration. And she also states that there is a surge in tattoo popularity, so there must be an assumption pointing out a factor that helps increase tattoo demand. For example: the increase in number of people who choose tattoo over other means to demonstrate personality.
Now we look for an answer choice that consider 2 sides of this assumption.

(A) Whether the most popular tattoo designs are mass-produced
=> Wrong. The logic we mention above is that rising usage of tattoo should come from rising number of users (who prefer tattoo), not from whether the supply/production is large or not.
(B) Whether there has been in increase in the past 10-15 years in the number of people who wish to express individuality in their physical appearance, but feel that they cannot do so by other means
=> Yes, this option is right, because it points out the cause of surging number of tattoo over the last 10-15 years.
(C) Whether the ancient civilizations that developed tattoos used them to express individuality
=> Wrong. At first, "ancient civilizations" is out of scope, we are discussing "the last 10-15 years". Secondly, even if there is a change in purpose of tattoo (ancient people use tattoo not for individuality purpose), then it still may not lead to surge in tattoo popularity when the number of people wishing to express individuality declines.
(D) Whether people in Western cultures identify a desire to express individuality
=> Wrong. This only explains why people choose tattoo, but cannot tell why its usage increases during the mentioned period
(E) Whether attitudes toward mass-produced clothing and jewelry have changed in Western cultures over the last 10-15 years.
=> Wrong. We can apply the same reasoning as in option (C) to eliminate (E). If the attitudes haven't changed, then we absolutely expect that there will not be a rise in usage of tattoo. How about a shift in attitude? Even if so, then increasing tattoo popularity is still not necessarily the case, especially when the total number of individuality-favoring people declines.

That is my opinion. Hope to receive your comment on it. Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [1]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Kudos
This is a close call between B and D. I fell for D , but upon closer examination realized that it must be B. My take :

Premise - "An anthropologist studying the social function of human skin has stated that tattoos are an ancient form of body art. Tattoos, she argues, function as a mode of self-identification: the placement and design of tattooed images communicate ideas of central importance to those who bear them." In other words tattoos are an ancient phenomenon and they were used by people to communicate an idea of central importance to those around them.

Conclusion - "Tattooing has surged in popularity in Western cultures over the last 10-15 years because of a desire to express individuality despite an increase in the mass production of other forms of personal decoration, such as clothing and jewelry." In other words, tattooing has surged in western cultures over the past 10-15 years because of a desire to express individuality despite other forms of personal decoration such as clothing and decoration.

Pre-think - This is an evaluate type question. What is the assumption here ? There has been an increase in the number of people in the western world who desire to express their individuality (particularly in the past 10-15 years). (Note : There is a cause - effect reasoning in the conclusion and not in the premise here). For evaluate ask - Is there an increase in the number of people who wish to express their individuality ? Use variance test to get a yes/no answer.

POE -

a) Irrelevant. Not on the lines of Pre-thinking step.
b) Hold
c) We are concerned about modern and not ancient world. Out
d) Note the subtle shift in vocabulary ... the option says "identify a desire", whereas we need a surge in the number of people who wish to express individuality. Hence out
e) Does it matter if the attitudes towards clothing and jewelry changed ? We are concerned about surge in the number of people who wish to express individuality. Hence out.

This was a close one between B and D. But B wins !

Hence answer B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
WE:Design (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja I HAVE A QUESTION. In option (B
Quote:
) Whether there has been in increase in the past 10-15 years in the number of people who wish to express individuality in their physical appearance, but feel that they cannot do so by other means
.So who are these total number of people? People including those outside western world.There is noting mentioned in the argument regarding those people outside the western world .While tattooing flourished in the western world it could have declined there or flourished in the other world.So the total number can still not answer regarding the hypothesis. Please elaborate your reasoning regarding this point,
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [0]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
pkm9995109794 wrote:
GMATNinja I HAVE A QUESTION. In option (B
Quote:
) Whether there has been in increase in the past 10-15 years in the number of people who wish to express individuality in their physical appearance, but feel that they cannot do so by other means
.So who are these total number of people? People including those outside western world.There is noting mentioned in the argument regarding those people outside the western world .While tattooing flourished in the western world it could have declined there or flourished in the other world.So the total number can still not answer regarding the hypothesis. Please elaborate your reasoning regarding this point,

I agree that it would be MORE useful to know whether the number of WESTERNERS wishing to express individuality has increased in the past 10-15 years, but remember that we are looking for the MOST useful answer choice. Even though choice (B) doesn't allow us to fully CONFIRM the hypothesis, it would still be useful. More importantly, we can eliminate the other answer choices.

Although choice (B) does not allow us to confirm the hypothesis, it is the BEST answer choice.
UBC Sauder Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 175
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q39 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V35
GPA: 3.33
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Kudos
wildhorn wrote:
This can’t be a GMATprep or OG question, right? I chose D strictly because there was no mention of western culture in B. I don’t understand how that could be the right answer, when it could be referring to groups not in western culture. In a DS question, that would be insufficient. And I know everyone says pick “the best” answer. But that’s now how CR (or logical reasoning on the LSAT) works. There is always one clearly correct answer.

I don’t think this is a solid question by any means.

Posted from my mobile device

Wildhorn makes an interesting point. The cardinal rule for CR is to stay within the confines of the question. How rigid then are we supposed to be in our interpretation of the answers? The GMAT seems to reward following the rules, but the questions (well this one in particular) do not lend themselves to a strict reading of the answer choices.

Since the passage mentions Western culture as a main thread if you will to the anthropologist’s assumptions, are we supposed to assume right away that all the answer choices pertain to Western culture...even if choices like B) and E) do not mention this?

I can see B) as the right answer, but to arrive at that conclusion one must assume that we are referring strictly to Western attitudes towards tattoos. Without that assertion, B) is open-ended and can refer to other culture’s attitudes towards tattoos.

That being said, one other thing the GMAT is also notorious for is giving the “best” answers...not necessarily the perfect ones. And I suppose you can argue that yes, in a business setting sometimes you have to settle for the “best” answer because conditions are never perfect.

I just think it’s interesting that in the Quant REASONING section (PS/DS), there is no room for ambiguity...and yet in the Verbal Reasoning section, we are expected to stay objective even when the topics at hand are interently subjective by their very nature. Even in SC, which is probably the most straightforward of the three Verbal topics, I’ve seen my fair share of questions where even the “best” answer is a little dubious. Whether it’s because of misplaced words, a lack of concision, or awkwardly worded formal language that doesn’t really reflect the kind of vernacular being used out there.

We are expected to use logic and think in a very specific way. And by specific I mean whatever the question maker felt was the correct answer. At that point it just feels disingenuous, kind of like we’re supposed to be mind readers. Man, I’m not exactly sure what facets of the business world the GMAT is trying to emulate lol.

Maybe I’m just the GMATCLUB equivalent of Homer’s father from the Simpsons who shakes his fist angrily at the sky and feels the test (while valuable) perpetuates a lot of ideals about the business world that are outdated. I’d be interesting to hear what others think though, and apologies if this seemed like a bit of a rant :)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
aquaria wrote:
Maybe I’m just the GMATCLUB equivalent of Homer’s father from the Simpsons who shakes his fist angrily at the sky and feels the test (while valuable) perpetuates a lot of ideals about the business world that are outdated. I’d be interesting to hear what others think though, and apologies if this seemed like a bit of a rant :)

First, you deserve a cookie for the wildly appropriate Simpsons reference. :)

So I could happily join you in ranting and raving about the irrelevance of the GMAT! After half of a PhD in psychometrics (the statistical science underneath standardized testing) and 17+ years of GMAT tutoring, I have all sorts of criticisms about the test. I think it's horribly abused by business schools, and it really doesn't mean what most people think it means. I spend plenty of time shaking my fist at the GMAT sky, too. It's one of my favorite pastimes.

But this particular thread probably isn't the right target. Why? It's built around a non-official question. A lot of you have seen this before, but the GMAT spends somewhere between $1500 and $3000 developing every official question, and even the geniuses ;) who write the GMAT Club Tests can't quite compete with that. We could argue that the question in this thread is far from perfect, but that's not the GMAT's fault.

So yes, there are probably good reasons to pummel the GMAT. This question just isn't one of them!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
Send PM
B addresses people in general while the question stem is talking partricularly of western culture that way option D , inspite of not being perfect , at least addresses western people and their desire to express their individuality. isnt D a better choice than B?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
SarthakHaruray wrote:
B addresses people in general while the question stem is talking partricularly of western culture that way option D , inspite of not being perfect , at least addresses western people and their desire to express their individuality. isnt D a better choice than B?

Hi Sarthak

The key aspect of the hypothesis is not about Western people, but about tattoos being a preferred mode of expressing individuality (despite an increase in the mass production of other forms of personal decoration, such as clothing and jewelry). It is possible that tattoos are a preferred mode for this purpose only in Western cultures, but the hypothesis talks about a desire to express individuality among all people as well. It is not clear whether the hypothesis only talks about Western culture, and hence it would be wrong to focus on this portion. We need to focus on the thrust of the hypothesis, which is as I stated earlier.

Option (D) does not say anything about tattoos being preferred over other options to express individuality (such as clothing, jewelry etc.). This point is effectively addressed in option (B) and hence is the correct answer.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q167 V169
Send PM
(B) has an overlooked flaw, but it's still clearly the best answer. The helpfulness of (B) could be limited by the fact that the surge is accounted for by people who want to express individuality, but who feel that tattoos are the best, rather than the only, means by which to express individuality. In other words, the answer to the question posed by (B) could be 'zero', but that wouldn't necessarily detonate the hypothesis. One way to avoid this flaw would be to say that 'other' forms of personal decoration encompasses ALL forms of personal decoration besides tattoos.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja

ı do have a few question regarding your explanation

Quote:
"tattooing has surged in popularity in Western cultures over the last 10-15 years because of a desire to express individuality despite an increase in the mass production of other forms of personal decoration, such as clothing and jewelry." This hypothesis implies that people in Western cultures have found expressing their individuality with those other forms of personal decoration to be less effective as mass production of those decorations has increased.

First of all, how did you come to your assumption that people find "personal decoration to be less effective"? Although we are given that despite a mass increase in other decoration forms, tattooing has surged because of a desire to self express. But we don't know whether this surge is due to people's finding other means less effective, maybe they are as effective as tattooing but expensive or not fun etc...

Secondly, Doesn't choice D and E have the same effect as B?

Quote:
But (D) does nothing to help explain why there has been a surge in popularity; (D) gives us no indication that anything related to tattooing has changed over time.

Although D doesn't explain the surge in popularity, doesn't it eliminate an alternative explanation as does B?
Because if answer to D is YES than it explains why this surge happened but if it is a NO than we get other possible explanation

Quote:
But if those people still feel that they can express their individuality with mass produced decorations or if those people largely do not care to express their individuality, then they would have no reason to use tattoos.

and for E

Quote:
(E) Whether attitudes toward mass-produced clothing and jewelry have changed in Western cultures over the last 10-15 years

Determining this information does NOT tell us whether the increase in mass production of clothing and jewelry has made it more difficult for people to express their individuality with those items nor does it tell us whether people in Western cultures have increasingly used tattoos to express their individuality over the last 10-15 years. This information does not help us evaluate the author's argument, so choice (E) can be eliminated.

If the attitude changed than yes it explains, in line with your assumption, why tattooing surged. Because people no longer see it as an effective tool of expressing themselves as tattooing. But if it is no then we can't really tell if it surged because of mass-increase of other decoration methods

Thank you for your answer:)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
gloomybison wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

ı do have a few question regarding your explanation

Quote:
"tattooing has surged in popularity in Western cultures over the last 10-15 years because of a desire to express individuality despite an increase in the mass production of other forms of personal decoration, such as clothing and jewelry." This hypothesis implies that people in Western cultures have found expressing their individuality with those other forms of personal decoration to be less effective as mass production of those decorations has increased.

First of all, how did you come to your assumption that people find "personal decoration to be less effective"? Although we are given that despite a mass increase in other decoration forms, tattooing has surged because of a desire to self express. But we don't know whether this surge is due to people's finding other means less effective, maybe they are as effective as tattooing but expensive or not fun etc...

When the passage says that there is "a desire to express individuality despite an increase in the mass production of other forms of personal decorations," the word "despite" indicates that we have two things that are opposed to one another (i.e. "a desire to express individuality" vs. "an increase in the mass production of other forms of personal decorations"). The passage makes clear that the problem is "the mass production," and logically speaking, "the mass production" would be a problem because people want to express "individuality," but that's hard to do when everyone is wearing the same clothes or same jewelry.

gloomybison wrote:
Secondly, Doesn't choice D and E have the same effect as B?

Quote:
But (D) does nothing to help explain why there has been a surge in popularity; (D) gives us no indication that anything related to tattooing has changed over time.

Although D doesn't explain the surge in popularity, doesn't it eliminate an alternative explanation as does B?
Because if answer to D is YES than it explains why this surge happened but if it is a NO than we get other possible explanation

Quote:
But if those people still feel that they can express their individuality with mass produced decorations or if those people largely do not care to express their individuality, then they would have no reason to use tattoos.

As we said in our full explanation, (D) is tempting, but it simply isn't strong enough. Even if people in Western identify a desire to express individuality, we don't know that they choose to do that through tattoos. And if they don't identify that desire, that does NOT mean that they don't have the desire. People could have a desire that they don't identify, so (D) doesn't help much at all.

gloomybison wrote:
and for E

Quote:
(E) Whether attitudes toward mass-produced clothing and jewelry have changed in Western cultures over the last 10-15 years

Determining this information does NOT tell us whether the increase in mass production of clothing and jewelry has made it more difficult for people to express their individuality with those items nor does it tell us whether people in Western cultures have increasingly used tattoos to express their individuality over the last 10-15 years. This information does not help us evaluate the author's argument, so choice (E) can be eliminated.

If the attitude changed than yes it explains, in line with your assumption, why tattooing surged. Because people no longer see it as an effective tool of expressing themselves as tattooing. But if it is no then we can't really tell if it surged because of mass-increase of other decoration methods

Thank you for your answer:)

The problem with (E) is that it simply tells us whether attitudes have changed. You assume that if attitudes have changed, they have changed negatively. But we don't actually know that. The answer to (E) could be "yes," and that could be because people view mass-produced clothing and jewelry more favorably. Simply knowing whether attitudes have changed, without knowing how or why they have changed, isn't enough.

I hope that helps!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts