Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Resolve Paradoxx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20715 [27]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [4]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [1]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: In Australia, in years with below-average rainfall, less water goes in [#permalink]
Kudos
Canteenbottle wrote:
C can't be right. No where in the question says extreme drought means absence of water. In fact, extreme drought just means more water will be extracted from the river.

Hey

The premise doesn't anywhere mention that extreme drought means 'more water will be extracted from the river' . This statement is assumption that you think

also, this question is an 'resolve the paradox' kind of question. So external ideas are allowed

Only C answers the question, rest are all out of scope
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Re: In Australia, in years with below-average rainfall, less water goes in [#permalink]
"in years with below-average rainfall, less water goes into rivers and more water is extracted from rivers for drinking and irrigation." this is the info from the question. It is not an assumption I made. No where in the question suggests absence of water. Lack of water and absence of water are two different concepts.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [2]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hey Canteenbottle (BTW, nice name)

I am only referring to the statement in the previous comment "extreme drought just means more water will be extracted from the river"

We don't see any such statement or reference in the premise. Anyways, you are absolutely spot on here. Lack of water and absence of water are two different concepts and tthiss tells us why C is the right choice

Lack of water (rivers flow slowly) - algae growth is much better
Absence of water (drought) - No water at all, how will the algae grow? Hence populations of algae drop in periods of extreme drought

hence answer is C. Hope this helps
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [1]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Kudos
A, D and E are clearly out.

(B) The more slowly water moves, the more conducive its temperature is to the growth of algae.
This doesn't tell why algae population decrease, So it is not useful choice here.

(C) Algae cannot survive in the absence of water.
Water is essential for algae formation. According to stimulus, water level is low and flow is quite slow in drought condition.

So C is winning choice to resolve the paradox.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [0]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks pikolo2510 and gvij2017 for your explanations!

To post additional questions not already addressed in this thread, feel free to use the request verbal experts' reply button.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 329
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 490 Q39 V18
Send PM
Resolve the paradox -
In such type of questions we can bring in outside or new information.

Read slowly and observe carefully the last line "But, by contrast, populations of algae drop in periods of extreme drought."
Though the argument mostly talks about slow water flow during low level rainfall and its benefit to algae, in the last line it tries to bring in a contrast that happens in extreme drought. So we need to reason why algae is less in extreme drought. Making option C correct.

Also this shows how important POE is on verbal. If u use POE u will be left with C and even if you miss the details in last sentence, you should be able to arrive at C with just POE.

Hope it helps! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 304
GMAT 1: 730 Q43 V42
Send PM
There are three levels of progression in this logic train.

DOWN in rain > DOWN in River levels and UP Irrigation
Which leads to

DOWN in river levels > DOWN in river velocity
Which leads to UP in algae

Would it be advisable to skip the middle steps mentally and go straight for the end result.

I feel like I wasted a minute just keeping track of the secondary and tertiary effects of the lower rain, when I didn't really need them.

In Australia, in years with below-average rainfall, less water goes into rivers and more water is extracted from rivers for drinking and irrigation.

Consequently, in such years, water levels drop considerably and the rivers flow more slowly.

Because algae grow better the more slowly the water in which they are growing moves, such years are generally beneficial to populations of algae.??
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
In Australia, in years with below-average rainfall, less water goes in [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Andrewcoleman wrote:
There are three levels of progression in this logic train.

DOWN in rain > DOWN in River levels and UP Irrigation
Which leads to

DOWN in river levels > DOWN in river velocity
Which leads to UP in algae

Would it be advisable to skip the middle steps mentally and go straight for the end result.

I feel like I wasted a minute just keeping track of the secondary and tertiary effects of the lower rain, when I didn't really need them.

In Australia, in years with below-average rainfall, less water goes into rivers and more water is extracted from rivers for drinking and irrigation.

Consequently, in such years, water levels drop considerably and the rivers flow more slowly.

Because algae grow better the more slowly the water in which they are growing moves, such years are generally beneficial to populations of algae.??

Hello, Andrewcoleman. I understand your frustration with CR questions. I used to feel the same way, falling into logic traps left and right. (Well, I was decent, but nowhere near as good as I was on other types of questions.) I would not advise ignoring any part of the passage, since you can never be sure what to expect of the answer choices and from which parts of the passage you may need to draw. One approach I learned the hard way that I have found much success with is reading the question first, before looking at anything in the passage. That way, I go in kind of knowing what to look for, and my pre-thinking cylinders are firing. Some time ago, I wrote another post on the general topic of CR questions, and this particular question, with an out-of-left-field answer, reminded me of one I wrote about in that post.

In this question, you are expecting all that information about slow-moving and fast-moving water to add up to something, but drought, a period of dryness, might lead to no water at all, especially if it is extreme, and if algae depend on at least some water to survive, then the extreme drought of the final line of the passage could be pointed to to explain why the algae that would typically thrive in slow-moving water would not do so under these particular weather conditions. Thus, the contrast or paradox of the question stem is resolved.

I would be happy to answer any other questions you may have. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Why D can not be answer . please see the below explanation.

Quote:
(D) Algae must be filtered out of water before it can be used for drinking.

drought means low rainfall for long period of time. it means the water level is too low.
As more water is extracted from rivers for drinking and irrigation it means the quantity of algae is reduced from water( because now more drinking and irrigation water would have high density of algae) , AND then Algae is filtered out of water before it can be used for drinking,

As drought increase, more algae is extracted in drinking water and hence more algae is thrown out which leads to less quantity of algae in the water.

GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, nightblade354, mira93, eakabuah
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5740 [2]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
In Australia, in years with below-average rainfall, less water goes in [#permalink]
Kudos