Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:18 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618637 [4]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: Other Schools
GPA: 2.88
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [2]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GPA: 3.87
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Send PM
Re: A church C is on a hilltop at a height 300 feet from the ground and is [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
A church C is on a hilltop at a height 300 feet from the ground and is reached only through stairs of steps of width 1/3 foot. How many steps must be climbed to reach the entrance of church C from the bottom A of the stairs?

(1) The height of each step is 1/2 foot.
(2) Church C is located at a horizontal distance of 300 feet from the bottom of the stairs A.

Total height = 300 ft

Step width = 1/3 ft

1) Total Steps = Total Height/height of single step = 300/1/2 = 600 steps. Sufficient!

2) Total Steps = Total Horizontal distance/width of single step = 300/1/3 = 900 steps. Sufficient!

Answer is 'D'
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: A church C is on a hilltop at a height 300 feet from the ground and is [#permalink]
Ans C

to answer the question we first need to find diagonal length of each step and then length of hypotenuse of right triangle formed by a point on ground, church on hill top and stairs step .

S1 gives h = 1/2 ft w= 1/3 ft but l= ??, so we cannot find diagonal length of a stair. also we do not know length of hypotenuse.

S2 : First , from question stem we already know that vertical distance between point B on ground and Church C = 300 ft. S2 provides us further information that horizontal distance between point A and C (Point A is where the first stair will be laid) is 300 ft , hence we can deduce that BC = 300 as well.
Now we know the base and height f triangle , using Pythagoras theorem we can calculate Hypotenuse.
But we do not know Height of stairs hence S2 is also ISF.

Combine 1 & 2 , From s1 we get stairs height = 1/2 and from S2 we get Hypotenuse . hence SF
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2498 [0]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
blueviper wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
A church C is on a hilltop at a height 300 feet from the ground and is reached only through stairs of steps of width 1/3 foot. How many steps must be climbed to reach the entrance of church C from the bottom A of the stairs?

(1) The height of each step is 1/2 foot.
(2) Church C is located at a horizontal distance of 300 feet from the bottom of the stairs A.

Total height = 300 ft

Step width = 1/3 ft

1) Total Steps = Total Height/height of single step = 300/1/2 = 600 steps. Sufficient!

2) Total Steps = Total Horizontal distance/width of single step = 300/1/3 = 900 steps. Sufficient!

Answer is 'D'

Hello

In GMAT, whenever the answer is D, both statements should give the same answer. Here in this case we are getting '600 steps' from first statement and '900 steps' from second statement (different answers), so probably we need to re-look at our analysis.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q40 V33
Send PM
answer (A) in my opinion.

statement 1 - We know the height we have to climb and we know the height of individual stairs.. width should be irrelevant, even if it is not it is additional information and doesnt harm. SUFFICIENT

statement 2 - we know the base and height of triangle and can figure out hyp. now, can we have 2 or more different total steps to climb when we know the slanting distance we need to cover? if i assume all individual steps are of same height then no we cant have. but what if individual step heights are different?

I would probably have chosen A or D in test.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Hello Jerry1982 & baru,

Here the question is asking for the total number of steps we need to take, but not asking for the total distance we need to cover.
If we were asked about the distance someone has to cover to reach the church, then we would have needed the hypotenuse or length of each step.

From statement-1 we can calculate the number of steps = total height/height of each step.
From statement-2 we can calculate the number of steps = total horizontal length/width of each step.

So, the answer is D.
Hope it helps.

I wrongly chose the option A because I couldn't correlate the horizontal length of the church and width of each step.
My mistake.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GPA: 3.87
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
jackspire wrote:
Hello Jerry1982 & baru,

Here the question is asking for the total number of steps we need to take, but not asking for the total distance we need to cover.
If we were asked about the distance someone has to cover to reach the church, then we would have needed the hypotenuse or length of each step.

From statement-1 we can calculate the number of steps = total height/height of each step.
From statement-2 we can calculate the number of steps = total horizontal length/width of each step.

So, the answer is D.
Hope it helps.

I wrongly chose the option A because I couldn't correlate the horizontal length of the church and width of each step.
My mistake.

We usually donot builds steps vertically , So -->total Vertical height/height of each step -Is wrong
It should be Hupotenues height to calculate the total number of steps , Hence C
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts