Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GRE 1: Q165 V167
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Send PM
Re: Deleted [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Happy to help. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions as you get started on your applications. Good luck!

biotechapplicant wrote:

Thank you so much Kate! I greatly appreciate the advice, thank you for spotting my post after it sat for so long! I think I can get started on my application package now, hopefully everything works out. best of luck with your work!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
A few more reflections and points to push your thinking here biotechapplicant:
  1. The overall work profile looks good especially given the fact that you seem to have gone beyond your call of duty by being part of strategy discussions - I am assuming not many/any of your peers get such an opportunity. Be sure to bring that out in all its glory and details.
  2. The diversity factor will help for sure; read here, here and here for more relevant perspectives and data.
  3. The one potential issue could be timing. The 'sweet-spot' is usually 4-5 years of experience while you'd have 3, that too, fractured along two different jobs. It might be worth evaluating another year in case that brings you closer to that strategy role in a more formal way already in your current trajectory. That'll help you make a stronger case later too.
  4. Pertinent to above, I would question your choice of EWMBAs. You are too young to explore those - unless of course there is something big promised at your current workplace (which doesn't seem to be the case given your reco situation). Read here on why a full-time MBA is what you should aim for.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
A few more reflections and points to push your thinking here biotechapplicant:
  1. The overall work profile looks good especially given the fact that you seem to have gone beyond your call of duty by being part of strategy discussions - I am assuming not many/any of your peers get such an opportunity. Be sure to bring that out in all its glory and details.
  2. The diversity factor will help for sure; read here, here and here for more relevant perspectives and data.
  3. The one potential issue could be timing. The 'sweet-spot' is usually 4-5 years of experience while you'd have 3, that too, fractured along two different jobs. It might be worth evaluating another year in case that brings you closer to that strategy role in a more formal way already in your current trajectory. That'll help you make a stronger case later too.
  4. Pertinent to above, I would question your choice of EWMBAs. You are too young to explore those - unless of course there is something big promised at your current workplace (which doesn't seem to be the case given your reco situation). Read here on why a full-time MBA is what you should aim for.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

Thank you for the feedback Manish! Regarding the work experience--would it help at all that I was a full-time graduate research assistant before that first job? I'm not sure if it would count to MBA adcoms, but it was my job and I was paid for it (and published two papers as part of it as well, so it was genuine research).

As for the EWMBA program, just to make sure we're on the same page, this isn't an executive mba program, it's the Berkeley evenings/weekends program (for some reason they chose to abbreviate it as the EWMBA program). I would stay at my current job while completing it.

Thank you again, much appreciated!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
biotechapplicant wrote:
Thank you for the feedback Manish! Regarding the work experience--would it help at all that I was a full-time graduate research assistant before that first job? I'm not sure if it would count to MBA adcoms, but it was my job and I was paid for it (and published two papers as part of it as well, so it was genuine research).

As for the EWMBA program, just to make sure we're on the same page, this isn't an executive mba program, it's the Berkeley evenings/weekends program (for some reason they chose to abbreviate it as the EWMBA program). I would stay at my current job while completing it.

It won't count as professional experience but it'll help in the overall profile part sure. Most/all schools would count experience post-qualification.

Yups, I am well aware about the program (we've worked with quite a few candidates on it successfully in the past) and the advice I gave stands. It's not the flagship program and a part-time one. Doesn't help much.

Feel free to reach out for any other help.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wanted to chime in again...if the research work was full-time, post-degree, and paid, then it will count! Probably won't be super relevant in terms of essay/interview examples, but it should still be on your resume and it can be counted when you total up your months of work experience.

I have seen the EWMBA program pay off for many. It is still a Haas MBA, and you have the same professors. It can be a bit harder to make a big career switch through that program, but it still gives you the Haas brand and network. I think it's a good backup for you, and hopefully one you don't need!

-Kate

MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
biotechapplicant wrote:

It won't count as professional experience but it'll help in the overall profile part sure. Most/all schools would count experience post-qualification.

Yups, I am well aware about the program (we've worked with quite a few candidates on it successfully in the past) and the advice I gave stands. It's not the flagship program and a part-time one. Doesn't help much.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:

Thank you! That's good to know--I've been on the fence about it so I think I'll reconsider for a full-time program instead.

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Wanted to chime in again...if the research work was full-time, post-degree, and paid, then it will count! Probably won't be super relevant in terms of essay/interview examples, but it should still be on your resume and it can be counted when you total up your months of work experience.

I have seen the EWMBA program pay off for many. It is still a Haas MBA, and you have the same professors. It can be a bit harder to make a big career switch through that program, but it still gives you the Haas brand and network. I think it's a good backup for you, and hopefully one you don't need!

-Kate

Thank you Kate! I just found out that apparently Haas doesn't reserve much scholarship money for the part-time program either, so I'm reconsidering instead doing a full-time program for my fourth school I apply to (plus sacrificing my weekends for three years is a tough proposition!). Do you think the geographical advantage of going to Haas full-time, if my goal is to eventually resume working in the bay area, would outweigh going to a school like Sloan that is just incredibly strong for tech, or Kellogg, which has a great healthcare program but doesn't have the international name recognition that MIT might have?
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes, scholarships are harder to get in part-time programs, many students get some sponsorship from their employers, but I'm not sure if that would be an option for you. I think schools like Sloan and Kellogg have very strong brands, especially in Tech and Healthcare as you mentioned, so they would have strong opportunities in the Bay Area as well. And Boston has a great biotech scene in case you end up falling in love with it! Also, so many MBAs want to be in the Bay Area, so you will see lots of Silicon Valley companies recruiting on campus at those schools and student groups will organize "West Coast Treks" to visit companies too. I think you would still have great opportunities.

biotechapplicant wrote:

Thank you Kate! I just found out that apparently Haas doesn't reserve much scholarship money for the part-time program either, so I'm reconsidering instead doing a full-time program for my fourth school I apply to (plus sacrificing my weekends for three years is a tough proposition!). Do you think the geographical advantage of going to Haas full-time, if my goal is to eventually resume working in the bay area, would outweigh going to a school like Sloan that is just incredibly strong for tech, or Kellogg, which has a great healthcare program but doesn't have the international name recognition that MIT might have?
GMAT Club Bot