Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [21]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 543 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Re: A recent research paper, submitted by a team of noted psychologists an [#permalink]
A recent research paper, submitted by a team of noted psychologists and neurologists, on kleptomania suggests that it is a mental disorder and appeals that the law should distinguish “theft addicts”, who intentionally steal for monetary gains, from kleptomaniacs, who are often unaware of their actions .

A. “theft addicts”, who intentionally steal for monetary gains, from kleptomaniacs, who are often unaware of their actions --> correct: "distinguish A from B' os the correct idiom
B. “theft addicts”, intentionally stealing for monetary gains, from kleptomaniacs, who are often unaware of their actions --> (1) comma+ ing doesn't modify the touched noun, & (2) not parallel like "noun, who .. , from noun, who.." as in A
C. between “theft addicts”, who intentionally steal for monetary gains, and kleptomaniacs, who are unaware of their actions --> no "from"
D. between “theft addicts”, who intentionally steal for monetary gains, from kleptomaniacs, who are often unaware of their actions --> "between ... and" missing
E. “theft addicts”, who intentionally steal for monetary gains, and kleptomaniacs, who are often unaware of their actions --> no "from"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
A recent research paper, submitted by a team of noted psychologists an [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
If the kleptomaniac is only often unaware but if he is aware sometimes then it may not be prudent to grant him amnesty by law. Perhaps C is better since it misses the word'often'

Originally posted by daagh on 24 Jun 2018, 07:27.
Last edited by daagh on 25 Jun 2018, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
WE:Operations (Retail)
Send PM
Re: A recent research paper, submitted by a team of noted psychologists an [#permalink]
aragonn wrote:
A recent research paper, submitted by a team of noted psychologists and neurologists, on kleptomania suggests that it is a mental disorder and appeals that the law should distinguish “theft addicts”, who intentionally steal for monetary gains, from kleptomaniacs, who are often unaware of their actions

A. “theft addicts”, who intentionally steal for monetary gains, from kleptomaniacs, who are often unaware of their actions
B. “theft addicts”, intentionally stealing for monetary gains, from kleptomaniacs, who are often unaware of their actions
C. between “theft addicts”, who intentionally steal for monetary gains, and kleptomaniacs, who are unaware of their actions
D. between “theft addicts”, who intentionally steal for monetary gains, from kleptomaniacs, who are often unaware of their actions
E. “theft addicts”, who intentionally steal for monetary gains, and kleptomaniacs, who are often unaware of their actions

Source - expert global

Though distinguish X from Y is oftenly used but this is wrong and the correct idiomatic usage is - distinguish + between + X + and + Y
Hence, C is the only qualifying option as per grammatical rules.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
daagh wrote:
If the kleptomaniac is only often unaware and if he is aware sometimes then it may not be prudent to grant him amnesty by law. Perhaps C is better since it misses the word'often'

So, would you agree that Distinguish A from B is not idiomatic?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
I wouldn't think so. You distinguish between X, Y, when you consider X, and Y in their entireties, arrive at the sum of their several similarities and dissimilarities but not just one particular trait.
On the other hand, if you consider only one or two characters from among the several others of X and Y, then you are distinguishing one from the other

In the given case, we are not considering a general outlook of habitual thieves from unintending people. This is one specific attribute, and hence I vote 'distinguish … from.'
My previous writing was not focused on idiomatic appropriateness but legal vulnerability.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Awesome! Thank you for the detailed explanation! :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
egmat
Can you confirm whether "Distinguish X from Y" is correct idiom or not.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-12-2012
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
I came to option A by framing the sentence as

you distinguish A from B
Hence C,D,E got eliminated.
Between A and B , B used continuous tense which did not fit . Hence I chose A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: International Business, Economics
Schools: YLP '20 (A$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.88
WE:Project Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Please explain why option C is not being preferred as the correct answer choice here.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
C misses the word 'often' from the original, which is a crucial error in addition to the 'distinguish... between' nuance
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
aragonn

Please share OE
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [1]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
A recent research paper, submitted by a team of noted psychologists an [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
daagh wrote:
I wouldn't think so. You distinguish between X, Y, when you consider X, and Y in their entireties, arrive at the sum of their several similarities and dissimilarities but not just one particular trait.
On the other hand, if you consider only one or two characters from among the several others of X and Y, then you are distinguishing one from the other

In the given case, we are not considering a general outlook of habitual thieves from unintending people. This is one specific attribute, and hence I vote 'distinguish … from.'
My previous writing was not focused on idiomatic appropriateness but legal vulnerability.

Great explanation. This should quite settle the debate.

Further, regarding whether the sentence is better with the term "often" or without it, the argument that skipping the term "often" would lead to a stronger case for the appeal is not a matured one; the appeal would be valid even if the unawareness is often (and not always). The usage of the term "often" needs to be looked at from the view of the characteristics of the kleptomaniacs; to claim that they are "always" (and not often) unaware would be too strong to be true and hence, the usage of the term "often" is desired.

Tip: when in doubt, go with the meaning in the original sentence; GMAT will not test you on such nuanced reasoning as highlighted above; hence, we have deliberately kept the term "often" in choice A and not C; else, yes, the question would be more difficult but less GMAT-like :-). Having the term "often" in A serves as a hint, to the candidates, of the intended meaning without getting into the nuanced highlighted reasoning above.

Here is the official explanation-

All the best!
Experts' Global team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 441
Send PM
egmat Sir/Ma'am I clearly remember that according to your Verbal Only course Distinguish X from Y is used very often but is incorrect. But in this question option A is the OA. Can you please help ?

Other experts please help. Magoosh GMATNinja VeritasKarishma ManhattanPrep
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [2]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello,

Both usages are acceptable. Besides, GMAT will never ask you to choose purely between "distinguish between..." and "distinguish from"; if you are caught between these two, you need to look for a fundamental, conceptual error.

A general note-
Generally, idioms should not be considered deal-breakers/makers and core, conceptual reasons should be preferred for elimination.

Nonetheless, here is a short video to clarify your query about the usage of "distinguish"--

Hope this helps.

All the best!
Experts' Global

TaizKaran wrote:
egmat Sir/Ma'am I clearly remember that according to your Verbal Only course Distinguish X from Y is used very often but is incorrect. But in this question option A is the OA. Can you please help ?

Other experts please help. Magoosh GMATNinja VeritasKarishma ManhattanPrep
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Doesn't distinguish A from B mean A is a sub-set of B?

daagh
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts