Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.82
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Verbal scores [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
yash321 wrote:
Could someone, please help me out? My verbal score is stagnant around 24-25, I need to get at least 36 for my desired overall gmat score.
I am feeling like nothing is helping me to increase my verbal score. I am depressed. Somebody please help me realize my goal of at least getting a 36 in quant

Hi Yash321

Improving by around 10 points will be challenging, but it is certainly possible with the right approach. Here is a broad approach you can look at:
- First, identify the weak areas you have by taking mock tests or simply trying to solve questions. This is critical and taking an honest approach here will help you know what to target. Often, the problem is not that you are weak across an entire topic area, but across specific question types (say, Modifiers in SC, or Strengthen/Weaken questions on CR, as examples).
- Next, strengthen concepts in these areas. Go over the theory, and take classes/personal tutoring if you feel that it is needed. Do not practice until you are sure you have plugged the gaps in understanding here.
- Further steps will involve doing lots of practice questions that pertain to various topics and also taking sectional tests (Verbal only).

Apologies if some of these parts seem a bit generic. As we know little about which areas you are weak at, we need to suggest a somewhat more generalized approach.

Overall, following this approach can sometimes be a somewhat long process, but you have to go through the steps, as the GMAT is a test that measures your underlying skills very accurately, and so improving them is critical.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Yash, have you already attempted GMAT? If yes, can you attach your ESR?

That would give us a view into what might possibly be the issue.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Everyone,

I am facing the same issue. I am targeting ISB this year. I got a Q50 V25. I need at least 700 and for that V34-35.

I took my ESR out today. I got to know that I was spending of time in early half of verbal and very less time in later half. In last quarter my accuracy was 25% which led my score down. Can anyone please suggest how to increase my comprehension level as I take lot of time to comprehend sentences. Also, any suggestion for study plan will be helpful. I want to try GMAT in 1 month.
Attachments

Ankit Agarwal_337656623_ESR.pdf [431.23 KiB]
Downloaded 40 times

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Ankit, achieving a 10+ point jump in Verbal within a month, seems a bit daunting ask.

How have you been preparing and what were your Verbal scores in the mocks?

Also, your ESR reveals that you just spent around 1.14 minutes on each RC question. That is way below the time that people normally spend (2 minutes per RC question). That might explain your low RC percentile.

On the other hand, you spent the most time on SC, while that is normally the least.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
I would recommend to use egmat verbal, they give free trial for a week, many have reviewd their product as decent for non natives
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Hi Ankit, achieving a 10+ point jump in Verbal within a month, seems a bit daunting ask.

How have you been preparing and what were your Verbal scores in the mocks?

Also, your ESR reveals that you just spent around 1.14 minutes on each RC question. That is way below the time that people normally spend (2 minutes per RC question). That might explain your low RC percentile.

On the other hand, you spent the most time on SC, while that is normally the least.

Due to shortage of time, I guessed last RC without even reading it and also couple of other questions. This is the reason avg rc time is less.
I answered last 10 questions in less than 10 min and that is where I lost

I did OG. Gave GMAT prep, scored 710 , Kaplan - 680 consistently
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi yash321,

We have not heard from you in a while. Have things improved with your verbal score? If not, please reach out. I’d be happy to lend a hand.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
ankit7agarwal wrote:
Due to shortage of time, I guessed last RC without even reading it and also couple of other questions. This is the reason avg rc time is less.
I answered last 10 questions in less than 10 min and that is where I lost

I did OG. Gave GMAT prep, scored 710 , Kaplan - 680 consistently
710 on a GMATPrep is a good news, and most people who get that kind of score probably don't face too much time pressure towards the end. That is, they pace themselves well. If that's true for you as well, what do you think changed during the actual GMAT? For example, were you trying hard not to make a mistake in the earlier sets of questions?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
yash321 wrote:
Could someone, please help me out? My verbal score is stagnant around 24-25, I need to get at least 36 for my desired overall gmat score.
I am feeling like nothing is helping me to increase my verbal score. I am depressed. Somebody please help me realize my goal of at least getting a 36 in quant

I would suggest - Give a try for Aristotle books. (e.g Wiley's Wiley's Gmat sentence correction Grail 2017 Aristotle, CR grail)
I have all the praise for the SC Grail. I really like the SC Grail’s focused approach wherein it only teaches you concepts and questions that you are likely to see on the GMAT.
And yes, for self study as well as with the course, you should use that.
So far, working for me.
GMAT Club Bot