Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:55 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hello anidag

Based on the info given I'll recommend at least above the average of ISB that is 710+ (higher the better).
However that is based on on the 'stats' you have written.
ISB will evaluate your candidature holistically based on 6 admission factors mentioned here
Your career progression looks good and you have worked in an NGO but what has been your contribution/impact on these?
There is a lot more to a profile than grades, industry and years of work ex.
Should you feel the need to discuss your profile in detail, feel free to reach out.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

anidag wrote:
hi all,

please review my profile for ISB 2019

3.5 years of work ex at indias largest growing wealth management firm
job profile - product design, received 2 promotions over 3.5 yrs
1 yr of NGO work

Mcom and BBI from top commerce college in mumbai
Mcom - 75%
BBI - 77%
12th - 76%

still studying for the gmat. what should be my ideal score?

thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi Expert,

Please evaluate/review my profile:
Total 10 years of Consulting experience--out of that 7 years overseas( USA, South africa, Kenya, Bahrain, New zealand & Canada)
Industry type: ICT
B.E. 81%
3 Year Diploma: 69%
Matriculations: 77%
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Experts,

Kindly help to evaluate/review my profile for the Top 5 B-Schools for Executive MBA

Total 10 years of Telecom Consulting experience( 7 years overseas-USA, South Africa, Kenya, Bahrain,New zealand & Canada)

Bachelor of Engineering: 81%
3-year diploma: 69%
Matriculation: 77%

Preparing for GMAT

Looking for top 5 B school options including ISB Hyderabad, where I can apply for Executive MBA program.

Thank you !
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
phef wrote:
Hi Experts,

Kindly help to evaluate/review my profile for the Top 5 B-Schools for Executive MBA

Total 10 years of Telecom Consulting experience( 7 years overseas-USA, South Africa, Kenya, Bahrain,New zealand & Canada)

Preparing for GMAT

Looking for top 5 B school options including ISB Hyderabad, where I can apply for Executive MBA program.

Thank you !
Hi phef

Though your international experience will certainly add brownie points to your profile, this information is too limited to give a detailed feedback.
It will help to understand your nature of work, career progression, key achievements and business impact in these 10 years.
Also what sort of extracurricular activities do you have that add some diversity to your profile.
Your are planning for the GMAT, what sort of score are you expecting?
Lastly and most importantly, what are your future career goals and why is an MBA an absolute necessity to achieve these goals?
One would need at least this info to assess your profile in detail.
Please share for a meaningful discussion.

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com
info@MBAkarma.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Hi Guys!!

Thanks for starting this post.

I will be applying to ISB this time and below is my profile snapshot.

Just wanted to check with you, how does my profile looks from ISB standpoint, much appreciate your reply.

GMAT Score: 680 (Q50 V31 IR5 AW5)
Graduation: Engineering - 65.66%
XII: 80.83%
X: 80%

Total Years of WE: 6.1 Years

Work Experience Details:
1st Job: Manufacturing/Automobile
Duration: 2 Years
Role: Strategic Sourcing, Vendor Management, Post Merger Sourcing Management, Spend Analytics, Supply Chain Management etc.

2nd Job: Banking Industry
Role: e-procurement, vendor management, supplier integration, supply chain management, MIS, etc.

3rd Job: Insurance Sector
Role: Business Transitions from US and Phillipines, Strategic Sourcing for - Claims, Business Services, Travel, Professional Services and Technology, Software Asset Management, Vendor Management, e-procurement, Category and Spend Analytics, etc.

International Experience: 1 Month (USA)

Community Collaboration:
1. Leading a chapter for food preservation and distribution to slums
2. Volunteered in XIX Commonwealth Games Delhi 2010
3. Student Head at university for Techincal fest - Managed a team of 300 people
4. Organiser for a TEDx event
5. Chairperson IEEE Student Chapter at college level

Do you think that my GMAT score is good enough to apply or I need to retake the same.

Thanks, ss1990
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi
Please evaluate my profile for 2019 intake
10-89%
12-93.75%
Economics hons from DU-6.4/10 (1st div)
Cfa level 3 candidate
GMAT-targetting 720
Taught a bunch of kids at a government school for 1.5 years while preparing for various govt jobs (non-paid)
Currently working as an Asset based securities Underwriter with a firm based out of US. The deals are handled by both, India and US team, with Fortune 500 investment banks. At the time of application will have 3 years of work ex.

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ss1990 wrote:
Hi Guys!!

Just wanted to check with you, how does my profile looks from ISB standpoint, much appreciate your reply.

Work Experience Details:
Role: Strategic Sourcing, Vendor Management, Post Merger Sourcing Management, Spend Analytics, Supply Chain Management etc.

Role: e-procurement, vendor management, supplier integration, supply chain management, MIS, etc.

Role: Business Transitions from US and Phillipines, Strategic Sourcing for - Claims, Business Services, Travel, Professional Services and Technology, Software Asset Management, Vendor Management, e-procurement, Category and Spend Analytics, etc.

Community Collaboration:

Do you think that my GMAT score is good enough to apply or I need to retake the same.

Thanks, ss1990

Hi SS,

That's a good profile overall. I like the consistency in your work experience (functional) with a broad base built working in different industries. You can really bring this element out in your application and this diversity would be much appreciated by business schools. From this aspect you are lucky because ISB has changed its first essay question this year to ask how you would contribute in and outside the classroom using our pre-MBA experiences. As an additional tip, mine your unique experiences and qualities gained through your professional work, understand (by researching) where they can be useful at ISB and make a strong case on how you will contribute in that area.

Coming to your question- a 680 to 700 is that iffy score where you are always left in doubt. While things are still under your control until you hit the submit button, I think you should do what you can to maximize your chances for admission. ISB has increasing been consolidating its class statistics for age/work experience, so with six years of work experience, I think your best bet for admission is gonna be this year. So keeping the above two factors in mind, go for a retake.

You have the time in hand, besides it will be the best last-minute effort you can make on your application.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
SS101991 wrote:
Hi
10-89%
12-93.75%
Cfa level 3 candidate
GMAT-targetting 720
Taught a bunch of kids at a government school for 1.5 years while preparing for various govt jobs (non-paid)
Currently working as an Asset based securities Underwriter with a firm based out of US. The deals are handled by both, India and US team, with Fortune 500 investment banks. At the time of application will have 3 years of work ex.

Sounds good SS101991.
Some more info I'd like to know is, what are your biggest hits at work? what quantitative impact di you make (prevented $$$$$ bad deal etc.)? What are your career goals and why ISB? Be sure to research this bit about how ISB can help your career goals, both in terms of the curriculum and experiential opportunities available and in post MBA job placement.
If you have international exposure working with the Americans, do highlight the relevant aspects in your application.

Originally posted by MBADecoder on 24 Jun 2018, 22:37.
Last edited by MBADecoder on 25 Jun 2018, 04:40, edited 2 times in total.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
phef wrote:
Hi Experts,

Preparing for GMAT

Thank you !

Hi Phef,

First a small clarification. By executive MBA, do you mean the work plus MBA classes format followed by several b-schools abroad? Or are you mentioning the one-year full-time residential MBA programs run for senior executives by the IIMs?
Given your substantial international work experience and assuming that you have substantial leadership capabilities, my first recommendation would be the IIMA PGPX. Can make more suggestions once I know what kind of MBA formats are you looking at.
Also, do explain your work in more detail.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
oneMBAcoach wrote:
phef wrote:
Hi Experts,

Preparing for GMAT

Thank you !
Hi phef

Though your international experience will certainly add brownie points to your profile, this information is too limited to give a detailed feedback.
It will help to understand your nature of work, career progression, key achievements and business impact in these 10 years.
Also what sort of extracurricular activities do you have that add some diversity to your profile.
Your are planning for the GMAT, what sort of score are you expecting?
Lastly and most importantly, what are your future career goals and why is an MBA an absolute necessity to achieve these goals?
One would need at least this info to assess your profile in detail.
Please share for a meaningful discussion.

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com
info@MBAkarma.com
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
SS101991 wrote:
Hi
10-89%
12-93.75%
Cfa level 3 candidate
GMAT-targetting 720

Hi SS101991,

We think you have a well-rounded profile that definitely has a shot at ISB. It has a good balance of academics and extra-curriculars. A GMAT of 720 will take you closer to your goal.

Post GMAT, the next step for you should be to identify your short-term and long-term goals. Tying up your achievements and your strengths to your goals and answering the question why MBA succinctly will see you through.

Feel free to reach out for detailed and personalized guidance.
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello ss1990

ISB will look at your profile holistically on 6 admission factors mentioned here

GMAT is on the lower side. It is not possible to comment whether it will break you chances without understanding your profile in more detail. Just based on the info give, I would recommend a retake and target a 720+. However, if you can provide quality information, it may help suggest a revised GMAT target.
Your work ex certainly looks interesting (due to direct involvement in business) and I'm sure you should have enough stories (fodder for the essays) to showcase your real impact on business.
That said, it is also crucial that you showcase your career progression and key achievements. These matter more than your industry/role/year of ex.
You extracurricular mentioned are more of a laundry list and your impact/accomplishments here will help evaluate better. All the more so as ISB's first essay clearly asks for diversity and extracurricular can be a good way to highlight your diversity factors.
Last and most important piece of the admission puzzle is Career Goals. What are your future plans and why is an MBA (that too from ISB) an absolute necessity to achieve these plans? In the absence of this info, virtually impossible to assess your profile. You can begin your research on Why MBA here.
To conclude- ISB will look at Acads + Quality of Work Ex + Diversity + Career Goals. You will need a spike in at least 3 out of these 4 to get an admission. I don't see a spike in Acads. I see a potential spike in Work Ex (will depend how you present this in the essays). I cannot comment on a spike in Diversity & Career Goals (as this info is missing).
Needless to say final outcome will depend on how well you tie all of the above in your written applications.
Should you feel the need to discuss your profile in detail, feel free to reach out.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

ss1990 wrote:
Hi Guys!!

Work Experience Details:

Community Collaboration:

Thanks, ss1990
VP
VP
Send PM
hello SS101991

While your acads look above the ISB average (and so does your target GMAT), it will help more to understand your career progression at work and key achievements.
ISB is more interested in that vs your industry or role.
Your teaching experience can also add some brownie points to your overall profile (provided you tell a good story).
However apart from that the info is too little to give a comprehensive feedback.
ISB will look at Acads (check) + Quality of Work Ex (missing) + Diversity (missing) + Career Goals (missing) to assess your candidature. You can read more about it here. and more on Career Goals after an MBA here.
Feel free to reach out with this info to have a more meaningful discussion around your profile.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

SS101991 wrote:
Hi
10-89%
12-93.75%
Cfa level 3 candidate
GMAT-targetting 720

Intern
Intern
Send PM

Originally posted by ss1990 on 25 Jun 2018, 01:52.
Last edited by ss1990 on 25 Jun 2018, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your feedback Guys!!

Wanted to know is there any difference in applying in 1st deadline and 2nd deadline.

Thanks, Sachit
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello ss1990

You should apply when your are ready with the strongest application. Don't sacrifice quality for speed.
Especially if you are planning to retake the GMAT.
However R1 does have its own advantages and if ready, I would recommend applying in R1.
Be vary of the timelines- a good written application from scratch can take 4-8 weeks (depends on the individual)

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

ss1990 wrote:
Thanks for your feedback Guys!!

Wanted to know is there any difference in applying in 1st deadline and 2nd deadline.

Thanks, Sachit
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  88   89   90   91   92  ...  307