Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: Expert advice for Anderson from Admissions Consultant blogs [#permalink]

The UCLA  Anderson School of Management has posted the required essay questions for the 2018-19 admissions cycle. The first essay remains unchanged from last year, but there has been an update to the short-answer question.
First-Time Applicants 
Essay Question: Describe your short-term and long-term career goals. How can the UCLA Anderson experience add value to your professional development? (500 words maximum)

Short Answer Question: What are you passionate about and why? (300 words maximum)
Reapplicants
(For applicants who applied for the MBA program in the previous two years)

Reapplicant Question: Please describe your career progress since you last applied and how you have enhanced your candidacy. Include updates on short-term and long-term career goals, as well as your continued interest in UCLA Anderson. (750 words maximum)

Optional Question: Are there any extenuating circumstances in your profile about which the Admissions Committee should be aware? Please use your best judgment. (250 words maximum)

No preference is given in the evaluation process to applicants who submit a response to the optional question.

Please note:

Your essays are the primary way for you to share your perspectives and plans with the admissions committee. The best essays are introspective, genuine and succinct in directly answering our questions and responding to our topics.

» You should try to distinguish yourself by showing what makes you different from others who share similar profiles.

» Personal expression is what we are looking for, not platitudes.

» Making a strong case for your future plans requires you to first do research on career paths and find one that resonates. Even if this target will change during business school, your application essays should lay out a clear trajectory for short-term and long-term goals. Do this by demonstrating how you expect to build on skills from your past, and those you expect to gain from the MBA.

» Essays are more compelling if they include specific courses, programs, groups, opportunities, activities, etc. from which you would benefit, if admitted to UCLA Anderson. These references are best found through website research, personal discussions and a campus visit (if possible).

» Content and clarity are key elements, as we seek superior communication skills.

» Style is a consideration, too, although we understand that those who speak other languages may have different manners of expression in English. We do check your essays for plagiarism, so make sure you always submit your own work.

» Length does not equal strength. A well-written short essay can have even more impact than a longer essay. Please try to respect the word limits indicated above.

» All essay and short answer responses are to be submitted in written form only.

» All essay and short answer responses are to be entered directly in the text box provided in your application.
For more information about applying, please visit the UCLA Anderson MBA admissions website.

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.

SVP
SVP
Send PM
Having the opportunity to learn from the best and brightest minds in business is one of the top motivators for many applicants considering an MBA degree at an elite business school. The professors and lecturers you’ll encounter have worked in the trenches, and bring an incredible wealth of real-world experiences into the classroom setting.

In our new limited series of professor interviews on the SBC blog, readers will get to know a bit more about these brilliant academics, what fields most excite them, the trends they foresee, what they enjoy most about teaching at their respective universities, and how it all comes together with their students.

Today we’ll introduce you to Suzanne B. Shu, Professor of Marketing at the UCLA Anderson School of Management.

Education: Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Cornell University, 1990; Masters of Engineering (Electrical), Cornell University, 1992; Masters of Business Administration, University of Chicago, 2003; Ph.D. in Behavioral Science, University of Chicago, 2004

Courses Taught: Marketing Management (core MBA marketing course); Marketing Strategy & Policy (core EMBA marketing course); Behavioral Economics in Marketing; various Ph.D. courses
What triggered your interest in your subject matter?
My work is in the field of behavioral science and decision making. After finishing my Bachelors and Masters degrees in Electrical Engineering, I never even knew there was a formal area of study in decision making until I wandered into a course on it during my first month of being an MBA student at the University of Chicago back in 1997.

The course was being taught by Richard Thaler, who just won the 2018 Nobel Prize in economics for his research in behavioral science. I was immediately intrigued by the material and decided that it was what I wanted to study from that point forward.
What’s changed since you entered the field?
Since I started studying behavioral decision making in the late 1990’s, much has changed. The field has become enormously popular in daily life due to the success of books like Nudge and Predictably Irrational. This creates a lot of interest among both managers and policy makers for the research that we do. It’s really wonderful to have so many direct applications of our research happening around us all the time.

Another big change has been the growth in interest for my own particular corner of that research field, which is consumer financial decision making. I knew when I started my PhD that I wanted to better understand the psychology of how consumers make all kinds of financial decisions (e.g., loans, retirement income, credit card debt, etc.) but the field didn’t really exist when I was getting started. Now it’s a large body of research with hundreds of academics working in this area.
Any surprising or unique applications of your field of study?
While perhaps not surprising, some of the applications that I’m most excited about are the use of our behavioral principles in policy and medical areas. Much of what we do is to explore how changing small elements of the decision making environment can help people behave in ways that they want to behave but aren’t always able to.

For example, consider someone (like me!) who would like to exercise more to lose weight. We’ve explored how small changes, like restructuring your goals to have “skip days” in your exercise routine, can help people be much more successful with their efforts.
What do you like about the school you are teaching at?
UCLA Anderson has an amazing mix of faculty and students that make it a wonderful place to do the work I do. On the faculty side, we have an entire research area devoted to behavioral decision making, so I’m surrounded by other dedicated researchers working on topics very similar to mine.

I feel extraordinarily lucky on this dimension since behavioral decision making is still a relatively new area in a lot of business schools and I wouldn’t be able to find a similar environment elsewhere.

As for the students, I find that our MBA students come in with a real excitement for figuring out how to convert our classroom discussions into immediate changes in their daily work environments. That focus on application of ideas to real business problems makes teaching really enjoyable for me.
How do you leverage technology in your classroom?
At Anderson, we’ve begun integrating online learning into more of our courses, and that’s been a big change over the past few years. Several of my courses are now hybrid classes where lectures can be delivered on video and we spend our in-class time really diving deeply into case discussions.

This is a great balance because the technology is used for delivery of foundational concepts so that everyone enters the discussion with the relevant background and we can get immediately into figuring out how to apply those concepts to the problem at hand.

Those in-class discussions are my favorite part of teaching since they give everyone the chance to bring their own expertise and ideas into the exercise; it’s not just me talking to the class, it’s everyone working together to solve a problem.
What can you do in the classroom to best prepare students for the real world?
I attempt to accomplish two things while teaching and preparing students. First, I want them to learn how to think and deliver carefully constructed, well supported arguments.

In the material I teach, I tell students there is not always only one right answer – many recommendations can be good recommendations, as long as the process for generating that recommendation is solid and well supported by the available data.

Part of your goal is to be able to deliver a set of arguments that will convince other managers that your recommendation is the best one to follow at that moment.

Second, I want to provide students with a set of frameworks and tools that help them break apart and analyze their business problems, so that it’s easier to generate and support the recommendations they make. They hopefully leave my class with a toolbox from which they can draw when analyzing any situation.
Can you speak to interesting trends in your field?
One new topic that’s inspiring research and discussion in my field is the general issue of inequity in consumer environments. Research in economics on the growth of overall societal inequity has helped spawn some of this new work, but I’m particularly interested in inequity issues at the more micro level of the individual.

For example, a consumer entering into a relationship with a financial services company must deal with a variety of fees and costs, which are measured against the benefit received from the product or service.

What determines whether the consumer perceives those costs as fair or unfair? How do perceptions of what is under the control of the consumer, versus what is under control of the firm, affect those fairness judgments? And is it possible to give the consumer more control over certain outcomes so that they can feel more ownership of the relationship? These are topics that are likely to become more important in the coming years.
What’s the impact you want to leave on your students? … On the world?
I want to teach my students to balance their strong numerical skills with strategic thinking and an overall understanding of human psychology when making business decisions. Business schools do an excellent job of training our students to understand financial models and economic principles.

Sometimes, however, it’s important to step back and realize that the world is not full of robots – we aren’t all perfectly rational or unemotional in our decisions. Thinking through human beings’ needs and motivations, including their emotional reactions to information, allows managers to do a better job of understanding their customers and successfully marketing their products.
Best advice for an aspiring business mogul?
Many aspiring business people seem to assume that marketing is simple – you just go out and tell people about the product or service you’re offering, and they’ll make a line at your door. The truth is that marketing is not easy to do, and there are many more opportunities for things to go wrong than there are for things to go right.

Good marketing requires an intricately detailed understanding of who your target market is, including their personal motivations and decision psychology, at a much more sophisticated level than most startup entrepreneurs tend to appreciate. At their core, every successful businessperson needs to be a thoughtful marketer, regardless of the business they’re in. Acquiring the frameworks and tools to be a successful marketer is a worthwhile investment.

Thank you so much Professor Shu for sharing your insights and experiences with our readers! You can read more about her work in articles such as, Carpe Diem? Maybe Tomorrow-The Psychology Behind Putting Off What Can be Enjoyed NowInstilling Ownership Feelings Leads to Greater Care of Common Resources; and When It Comes To Marketing And Advertising Not Just Any Visual Will Do.

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
The UCLA Anderson School of Management has made no change to its primary essay question this year, asking candidates—as it has done for as long as mbaMission has been offering essay analyses—about their short- and long-term professional aspirations and why its program is the right one for them. However, its “short answer” question (read: mini essay) has shifted in focus from applicants’ anticipated contributions to the program’s community to a personal passion and been extended by 50 words. UCLA Anderson’s mere 800-word total essay allotment means you must ensure that the other elements of your application (recommendations, resume, interview, etc.) fill in the blanks, so to speak, so that the school gets the full story of who you are as an individual and a candidate. But first, here is our advice on effectively approaching the school’s prompts…

Essay 1: Describe your short-term and long-term career goals. How can the UCLA Anderson experience add value to your professional development? (500 words maximum)

UCLA Anderson has done away with the preamble to this question that in previous years outlined the school’s defining principles and now plunges straight into a forthright request for your career goals. And considering you have just 500 words available for this entire essay, we recommend that you exercise this same kind of expediency with your response. Avoid going into excessive detail about your past, but be sure to offer enough information to provide context and support for your stated goals so that the progression from one stage of your professional career to the next is clear and reasonable.

Once your goals have been firmly stated and contextualized, explain how being a UCLA Anderson MBA student is a key step in achieving them. You need to demonstrate that you have dedicated just as much thought—if not more—to why you want to study at UCLA Anderson as you have to where you want to go in your career. Think carefully about what you need to learn or experience (with respect to skills, network, and knowledge base) to be able to reach your stated aspirations and then detail which specific resources and opportunities at the school you believe will allow you to do so. Your goal is to convince the admissions committee that UCLA Anderson is the missing link between who and where you are now and who and where you envision yourself in the future.

The basic components of this essay prompt are elements of a traditional personal statement, so we encourage you to download your free copy of the mbaMission Personal Statement Guide. In this complimentary publication, we offer a detailed discussion of how to approach such queries and craft an effective essay response, along with multiple illustrative examples.

And to learn more about UCLA Anderson’s academic program, defining characteristics, crucial statistics, social life, standout faculty members, and other key features, download a copy of the mbaMission Insider’s Guide to the Anderson School of Management, which is also available at no cost.

Short Answer Question: What are you passionate about and why? (300 words maximum)

We appreciate that you are likely “passionate” about your career, but this is not your best choice for a topic here, especially given that the school’s primary essay already covers your professional life. What UCLA Anderson wants to learn from this mini essay is what gets your heart pumping and mind racing outside of work. As Steve Jobs once said, “People with passion can change the world,” and although he was speaking about careers at the time, the statement is true for all aspects of one’s life. Passion is inspiring and energizing and can lead to big ideas and actions. Sharing with the school where your passion lies gives the admissions committee an idea of where you might someday make an impression on the world, how you might leave your mark—especially once you are equipped with all you will gain and learn during your MBA experience.

That said, do not worry if the thing you feel so fervently about might seem commonplace to someone else. For example, perhaps you feel inordinately passionate about cooking. Because this is an interest anyone could share and enjoy, you might have concerns that it could sound pedestrian or unremarkable. The key, though, is not what inspires you but the lengths to which you engage with it. If you can show that cooking is not just a hobby you simply enjoy from time to time but is instead something you connect with on a deep level and in various ways—perhaps you have taken a number of advanced-level courses at a local cooking school and avidly blog and Tweet about this passion and regularly interact with your followers—then this initially uninspired-seeming choice most definitely becomes an acceptable discussion topic. Think about your options in terms of intensity, enthusiasm, devotion, longevity, loyalty, excitement, and heart, and be honest with yourself. The elements of your life that inspire and align with these concepts could be appropriate fodder for this essay, while anything that does not should be immediately discarded.

Once you have identified the passion you wish to discuss, avoid simply telling the admissions committee about it and instead demonstrate how it manifests in your life. For example, rather than stating, “I have been watching and playing basketball since I was a child,” you need to create a more vivid impression of your dedication and involvement, such as “From playing with my brothers after school to varsity ball in college to now coaching a youth league in my community, I can hardly remember a time when basketball wasn’t an integral part of my life.” Like all other application questions, this one has no “right” answer, so do not try to guess what you think the school wants to hear. Authenticity and enthusiasm are the keys to your success with this mini essay.

Optional essay: The following essay is optional and can be submitted by either first time applicants or reapplicants. No preference is given in the evaluation process to applicants who submit a response to the optional question.

Are there any extenuating circumstances in your profile about which the Admissions Committee should be aware? Please use your best judgment. (250 words maximum)

Here is your opportunity—if needed—to address any lingering questions that an admissions officer might have about your candidacy, such as a poor grade or overall GPA, a low GMAT or GRE score, or a gap in your work experience. Do not simply try to fill this space because you fear that not doing so would somehow count against you. And however tempted you might be, this is not the place to reuse a strong essay you wrote for another school or to offer an anecdote or two that you were unable to include in your required essay. However, if you truly feel that you must emphasize or explain something that would render your application incomplete if omitted, write a very brief piece on this key aspect of your profile. We suggest downloading your free copy of the mbaMission Optional Essays Guide, in which we offer detailed advice on deciding whether to take advantage of the optional essay and how best to do so (with multiple sample essays), if needed.

Reapplicant essay: Please describe your career progress since you last applied and how you have enhanced your candidacy. Include updates on short-term and long-term career goals, as well as your continued interest in UCLA Anderson. (750 words maximum)

Whether you have improved your academic record, received a promotion, begun a new and exciting project, increased your community involvement, or taken on some sort of personal challenge, the key to success with this essay is conveying a very deliberate path of achievement and forward momentum. UCLA Anderson wants to know that you have been actively striving to improve yourself and your profile, remain focused on your goals, and have seized available opportunities during the previous year, because an MBA from its program in particular is vital to you. The responses to this essay question will vary greatly from one candidate to the next, of course, because each person’s needs and experiences differ. We are more than happy to provide one-on-one assistance with this highly personal essay to ensure that your efforts over the past year are presented in the best light possible.

The Next Step—Mastering Your UCLA Anderson Interview: Many MBA candidates find admissions interviews stressful and intimidating, but mastering this important element of the application process is definitely possible—the key is informed preparation. We therefore offer our free Interview Primers to spur you along! Download your free copy of the UCLA Anderson Interview Primer today.
SVP
SVP
Send PM

UCLA Anderson School of Management is located in a central location in Los Angeles with an unmatched alumni network throughout the region. While entertainment and real estate are still dominant industries in Los Angeles, technology and entrepreneurship have become more and more important in Southern California, making Anderson an even more desirable business school. Anderson’s faculty, alumni and students are thought leaders in business and promoting collaboration and innovation.

Anderson’s class is small and tight knit, making the personal aspects of this application crucial for admission. To make your case it will be important to be very clear about who you are, how you will fit with the community, and what you will accomplish with the help of Anderson.

We have helped countless applicants achieve their UCLA Anderson dreams. Contact us to learn how Stacy Blackman Consulting can help you.

FIRST-TIME APPLICANTS
Essay Question: Describe your short-term and long-term career goals. How can the UCLA Anderson experience add value to your professional development? (500 words maximum)

As you evaluate your career goals, consider your career thus far and how you would like to develop it. When you think about any long-term goals you have for your career, why is an MBA the right next step? And why would Anderson be the right place to gain the education and network you need? Your career goals should be examined through the filter of Anderson’s values and how you plan to use those values in your post-Anderson life.

The UCLA Anderson admissions committee suggests that “Essays are more compelling if they include specific courses, programs, groups, opportunities and activities from which you would benefit if admitted to UCLA Anderson. These references are best found through online research, personal discussions and a campus visit (if possible).”

When structuring this essay consider telling one or two pivotal stories about your career that will illuminate why you have chosen the career path you are on. UCLA is looking to understand how you are different from other applicants and how you have determined your goals. Consider the turning points or moments that triggered reflection for you.

Have you experienced a significant personal setback? What is your family background? Have you lived outside your home country? When did you face a turning point or make a big decision about your career? What were some of your proudest accomplishments? What moments have called upon your need to collaborate, lead or innovate?

Another important aspect of this essay is showing that you can plan coherently and both realistically and aspirationally. When describing your career goals, briefly explain what you plan to do immediately after graduation, and then what you want to accomplish over the long-term with your career. Your career path should be a logical extension of your past experiences and what you hope to experience at UCLA Anderson.

[b]Short Answer Question: What are you passionate about and why? (300 words maximum)[/b]

This short answer question is new this year, and focuses more on the personal side of your candidacy. Anderson is looking for students who “are fearless in thinking about opportunity and innovation — in experimenting and discovering, in being a little nonconformist.”

Use the space here to describe your passions in life and how they will fit with the character of UCLA Anderson. Note also that teamwork (“share success”) is another core value at Anderson, and it would be illuminating to show how others have impacted your passions and how your passions may have created impact in your community and the world. The limited word count invites you to be clear and concise. Along with explaining your passion and answering the question, a short story about your passion – either the origin or a key moment – would help bring your essay to life.

OPTIONAL QUESTION:
The following question is optional and can be submitted by either first time applicants or reapplicants.

Are there any extenuating circumstances in your profile about which the Admissions Committee should be aware? Please use your best judgment. (250 words maximum)

No preference is given in the evaluation process to applicants who submit a response to the optional question.

Note that Anderson specifically asks you not to write this essay unless you need it. Do not use it as a place to continue making the case from the required essay or short answer. If you do need to use this essay to explain gaps in work experience, a low grade, or lack of a current recommender, focus on explanations rather than excuses.

In discussing anything that is lacking from your candidacy, clearly and concisely explain the situation, and explain why you have changed. Providing evidence that you have improved and moved on from anything difficult in your past will help to make a compelling case.

REAPPLICANTS
(For applicants who applied for the MBA program in the previous two years)
Reapplicant Question: Please describe your career progress since you last applied and how you have enhanced your candidacy. Include updates on short-term and long-term career goals, as well as your continued interest in UCLA Anderson. (750 words maximum)

If you are a recent re-applicant to Anderson this essay gives you the opportunity to highlight improvements since your last application. This essay focuses on updates to your career progress and any updates to your career goals since your last application, but you have room to add other “ways in which you have enhanced your candidacy.” If you have an improved GMAT score, academic updates or extracurricular activities since your last application it would be useful to update the admissions committee.

What if you didn’t start a new job, earn a promotion, or advance in a linear way along your career path since your last application? If your resume remains basically the same, consider any new projects or accomplishments at work you can highlight. Demonstrating significant thought about your career path and increased introspection can also be progress, so updating your career goals thoughtfully is equally important to this application.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
27-year-old American, a dual citizen of Thailand
Graduated from a top 20 university - accounting and finance major 3.5 GPA | Have my CPA license
5 years WE - 1.5 years in Public Accounting, 3.5 years in M&A Consulting
Have two board seats and very active in my local community | I am a Leadership & Philanthropy fellow of a well-known organization
319 GRE (161Q 157V) - have taken it twice, plan on retaking in December

Applied ED to CBS and was denied...now considering Anderson, Duke, Kellogg

What are my chances?
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
dre1091 wrote:
27-year-old American, a dual citizen of Thailand
Graduated from a top 20 university - accounting and finance major 3.5 GPA | Have my CPA license
5 years WE - 1.5 years in Public Accounting, 3.5 years in M&A Consulting
Have two board seats and very active in my local community | I am a Leadership & Philanthropy fellow of a well-known organization
319 GRE (161Q 157V) - have taken it twice, plan on retaking in December

Applied ED to CBS and was denied...now considering Anderson, Duke, Kellogg

What are my chances?

dre1091

Please post in the following topics for profile evaluations.

For UCLA Anderson, https://gmatclub.com/forum/please-evalu ... 82404.html
For Fuqua Duke, https://gmatclub.com/forum/profile-eval ... 94763.html
For Kellogg, https://gmatclub.com/forum/please-evalu ... 28313.html
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived UCLA Anderson Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our UCLA Anderson Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated UCLA Anderson Forum for all fresh things related to the UCLA Anderson MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts