Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [0]
Send PM
Re: REVIEWING READING COMPREHENSION PROBLEMS [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi sandman13,

I don't know if you'll like this advice, but my usual prescription for discomfort in reading technical stuff is ... to read more technical stuff. What kind of jargon trips you up - is it the hard science topics like biochemistry or astrophysics? For those, some daily reading from a website like Science News could start to help you feel more comfortable. Look for topics you know nothing about and dive in. Most of my students report that after 5 days of reading 1 or 2 hard science articles per day, those topics start to seem easier and more readable to them.

For your question about inference EXCEPT, I might best understand what's going wrong if you can link to one or two examples of questions you got wrong, and explain your reasoning -> how did you choose your answer, and why did you eliminate the credited (correct) answer?

Thanks!

Best, Jennifer
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi jennpt,

One of the simpler examples is present here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/japanese-swords-194239.html
I share this RC example because this was a topic I really liked and read with a lot of enthusiasm. I got all questions correct except the second question.

Quote:
2. Each of the following is mentioned in the passage EXCEPT
(A) Every Japanese sword has a unique structure that can be traced back to a special forging
process.
(B) Master smiths kept their forging techniques secret.
(C) The Japanese sword was considered by some to have a spiritual quality.
(D) Master smiths are now considered artists by most major historians.
(E) The Japanese sword is considered both a work of art and a historical artifact.

I chose choice A. I cannot really trace why I jumped at the option. I guess one of the reasons could be that it's not explicitly stated, but can be easily inferred.

Relevant text (IMO):
Quote:
It was common, though optional, for a master smith to place a physical Signature on a blade; in addition, every master smith had a "structural signature" due to his own secret forging process.

So, any advice on how I can avoid making mistakes on EXCEPT questions would be valuable.

Thanks again.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sandman13

Thanks for sharing this example. Why did you eliminate D?

(When reviewing incorrect RC questions, I like to ask: What was wrong with my answer choice and why/how did I not see that at the time? Why did I eliminate the correct answer choice? Because Verbal questions are always a matter of process of elimination, we need the answers to both questions to help understand what went wrong and how you can correct for that in the future.)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jennpt, I eliminated D in the example I shared because of this part of the text:

Quote:
This effort made each blade as unique as the samurai who wielded it; today the Japanese sword is recognized as much for its artistic merit as for its historical significance.

I drew a real-world inference and presumed that the sword makers are now considered artists.

In hindsight, I realize the mistake, but I seem to make such mistakes more often on EXCEPT questions. Let me know what you think.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sandman13

In D, we can support the inference that the sword makers could be considered artists. What we cannot support is "by most major historians." Who knows anything about what most major historians think?? The passage never mentions "major historians."

In RC questions, make sure you read all the way to end of each answer choice - and be sure you can agree with all the words. Question writers love to start off answer choices with words or concepts from the passage but then add on random words at the end that change the meaning and make the answer out of scope.

With EXCEPT questions, I wonder if you might be making more mistakes because you are getting a bit impatient with the question, and therefore you're not reading every answer choice with the full sharp focus that you need to identify how the writers are making one answer choice incorrect. Could that have anything to do with it?

When I see an EXCEPT question, I say to myself, "I'm going to have to do more work on this question. I need to find 4 answer choices that DO answer the question, and the one remaining option, regardless of what it is, will be my correct answer choice."

Let me know if this sounds relevant for you.

Best, Jennifer
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi jennpt

I recently gave the GMAT and scored 710 (Q49, V37).
I've shared my ESR and prep details here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/esr-analysis ... l#p2105220

I'm planning to retake the GMAT. Your advice on what the strategy going forward should be would be greatly appreciated.

I struggle a lot with business-related RCs. I wanted your advice on how I could prepare myself for such RCs.

Should I read business articles? If yes, what sources would you recommend?
Should I rework business RCs in OG (which I've already completed)?
etc.

Hoping to get valuable feedback as always from you. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
sandman13
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts