Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1601 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6119 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Re: How many questions should I aim to solve? [#permalink]
Kudos
luffy1894 wrote:
I am targeting a score of 760+ in GMAT. How many questions should I aim to solve?

Will the time be even sufficient for solving all the questions in both quant and verbal? Should I even aim for it?

I took a practice test and didn't even get to see last 5-6 questions in both Quant and Verbal. I know of the GMAT scoring algorithm and will try not to get 4+ questions wrong in a row from next time. But I just want to understand how the timing is for all test takers in general ? Do you guys get to see all the questions?

I am not sure whether I should aim to solve all the questions compromising a little bit on accuracy or just try to solve as many questions as possible without comprising accuracy.

I think that you really need to try to solve all questions, especially leave no unanswered questions. If you want 760+, there is only way to answer all questions.

In fact, if you face any question that is too hard to you, you may guess it. If you run out of time, you could random the answer choice. However, those situations could hurt your overall score much if those questions that you guessed or randomed are counted to your score.

GMAT is a game that requires players the consistent performance. Thus, you should have a suitable strategy to complete all given questions in given time.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi luffy1894,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for all of your replies.

EMPOWERgmatRichC, I started studying 2 weeks back. I took my GMAT prep test last week and got Q49 and V36. I didn't prepare much for the the exam and was trying to figure out my weaknesses through the mock test.

I am planning to take GMAT 2months from now. Plan is to maintain Quant at Q49 and aim for Q50. For verbal, I had trouble with SC and got most of the questions wrong. I am good at RC and CR though. So I started with MGMAT SC and when i went back for reviewing my GMAT prep questions I am able to get 80% of my Verbal SC correct though I am very slow.

So for now, My plan is to improve my speed and accuracy in SC to get into V40+ range, target Q50 and maintain this score consistently . I am going for self prep btw so I need to decide what I should do after i get there to improve my score further.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi luffy1894,

That's a fantastic initial CAT Score (the average Score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). Assuming that you took that CAT in a realistic fashion and didn't see any 'repeat' questions, then you are clearly a strong critical thinker. By extension, once you've learned the necessary content, you could potentially score even higher. Since you have some study materials already, I suggest that you study as you choose for the next 1-2 weeks, then take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections). Once you have that Score, you should post back so that we can analyze how well your studies have helped you to improve - and any adjustments that you might make going forward.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi luffy1894,

That's a fantastic initial CAT Score (the average Score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). Assuming that you took that CAT in a realistic fashion and didn't see any 'repeat' questions, then you are clearly a strong critical thinker. By extension, once you've learned the necessary content, you could potentially score even higher. Since you have some study materials already, I suggest that you study as you choose for the next 1-2 weeks, then take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections). Once you have that Score, you should post back so that we can analyze how well your studies have helped you to improve - and any adjustments that you might make going forward.

Rich
Thankyou EMPOWERgmatRichC, I have given GRE before and am generally quite good at Quant to begin with. I am a non-native but am fairly good at verbal too, courtesy of many books thats i have read till date.

I will prepare for a couple of weeks before taking the next test. Will get back here after that. Thanks for the encouragement.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
I think your aim should be:

How many concepts i can learn and make use of these in questions.

rather than

How many questions i have to do..

PS: I had the same mindset in my last attempt. Trust me this mindset will take you till 700 but not more than that.
My scores and mindset before / after :

540: (Before Exam) Who cares lets give it a shot as i got 96 percentile in CAT, GMAT would be a cake walk.
(After Exam) I think i need to practice a lot. GMAT is different.
690: (After Exam) Damn practice practice.. don't care if i get it right , why i got it right or why i got it wrong.
680: (After Exam) Something's wrong ... my RC or CR or SC. I need to do as many questions from my weak area: RC
700: (After Exam) Cool, I got it even after some 2500 practice questions. I realized what i lack is concepts not the questions
how many i got right.
Next exam is in 11 days ... Hope i can get better than that score.

Hope my experience helps you to understand the key issue.

+kudos if you think its helpful.
GMAT Club Bot