Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
Re: Need advice [#permalink]
Yes but there are a few things to consider:
- If quant on the GRE is easier for you, then it's easier for everybody. This implies that your relative percentile to the others stay the same.
-GRE is considered to be harder on Verbal.
-You would lose valuable time mastering the GRE, instead of becoming better at GMAT

IMO, GRE is not an option
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi aleensf,

Thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear the GMAT did not go as well as you hoped after your preparation. Unfortunately, I do not see the U.S. top 50 as viable with your current score. The mid-600s would be a nice target for you -- and keep in mind that many applicants significantly improve their scores when they re-take the exam. Applying as a female from Saudi Arabia is quite unique, so that will give you a boost provided the rest of your story and application is in order. But you should still "aspirationally" target the mid-600s. If you come up a little short and end up in the low 600s, then it's still reasonable to apply to certain programs (as you will still be in the lower end of the middle 80% range for schools at the back end of the top 50).

As you review programs, please also look at their TOEFL and English requirements. Make sure you can hit the necessary minimums. Your current Verbal score raises the question.

And yes, if you are having a really tough time with the GMAT, you should definitely feel free to look into the GRE. They are different exams, and I have seen a number of candidates have varying degrees of success with each. You can look further into the GRE, and if it seems to be a better fit for you, by all means go for it. (The GRE is also a less published class profile statistic, so it can give MBA programs a little flexibility to accept applicants they really like but whose scores might not otherwise be up to par. Your GRE score still needs to be solid and within range for that program, but there can be a hint more flexibility. It is definitely an option for you to consider.) I wish you the best of luck!

[Anthonydh, as a friendly reminder, the admissions consultant forums are private forums. Please comment all you want in the public forums but kindly refrain from doing so here and in other admissions consultants' forums. Thank you.]

Best Regards,
Greg
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Need advice [#permalink]
Dear Greg,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to this post.

As per the English Language Proficiency exam, I believe I should be exempt from that given I earned my Bachelor’s from a US-based university. One less test to take is always good news :)

I think what I’m going to do is attempt a GRE practice test and see if it’s a better fit. What you said about admission offices having more flexibility accepting GRE vs GMAT scores gave me hope so thanks for that :)

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by aleensf on 16 Jul 2018, 11:41.
Last edited by aleensf on 22 Jul 2018, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you, aleensf. It is my pleasure to help!

If you went to an American university where the language of instruction was English and earned a four-year bachelor's degree, that's great. It doesn't hurt to double- and triple-check the requirements and FAQs for each MBA program if the college was an overseas annex of the university. But it sounds like you should be fine.

Best of luck to you with your test preparation. Don't be discouraged by the first result. The GMAT is a funny test, most applicants improve as they continue, and you may find a better fit with the GRE. Keep your head up and keep working hard to improve your result!

Please feel free to reach out if I can ever be of assistance with school selection or anything else as your process advances: https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html

Kind Regards,
Greg

aleensf wrote:
Dear Greg,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to this post. I was surprised myself at how low I’ve scored in the Verbal section, given I had done considerably well in practice tests :(

As per the English Language Proficiency exam, I believe I should be exempt from that given I earned my Bachelor’s from a US-based university. One less test to take is always good news :)

I think what I’m going to do is attempt a GRE practice test and see if it’s a better fit. What you said about admission offices having more flexibility accepting GRE vs GMAT scores gave me hope so thanks for that :)

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot