Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Modifiersx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 996 [241]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [85]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31894 [4]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Less than 400 Sumatran rhinos survive on the Malay peninsula and on th [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
nycgirl212 wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2016
Practice Question
Question No.:73
Page: 261
Difficulty:

Less than 400 Sumatran rhinos survive on the Malay peninsula and on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo, and they occupy a small fraction of the species’ former range.

A) Less than 400 Sumatran rhinos survive on the Malay peninsula and on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo, and they occupy a small fraction of the species’ former range.

B) Less than 400 Sumatran rhinos, surviving on the Malay peninsula and on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo, occupy a small fraction of the species’ former range.

C) Occupying a small fraction of the species’ former range, the Malay peninsula and the islands of Sumatra and Borneo are where fewer than 400 Sumatran rhinos survive.

D) Occupying a small fraction of the species’ former range, fewer than 400 Sumatran rhinos survive on the Malay peninsula and on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo.

E) Surviving on the Malay peninsula and on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo, less than 400 Sumatran rhinos occupy a small fraction of the species’ former range.

1)The first split is LESS vs FEW..
Since the # of rhinos is countable, FEW is correct here...... ONLY C and D are left..

2)In C, the phrase -Occupying a small fraction of the species’ former range- is wrongly modifying regions/Areas Malay and Sumatra, whereas it should modify Rhinos.
D is correct answer
Manager
Manager
Status:Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [3]
Given Kudos: 135
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Less than 400 Sumatran rhinos survive on the Malay peninsula and on th [#permalink]
Kudos
Less than 400 Sumatran rhinos survive on the Malay peninsula and on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo, and they occupy a small fraction of the species’ former range.

A) Less than 400 Sumatran rhinos survive on the Malay peninsula and on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo, and they occupy a small fraction of the species’ former range.
Less than is wrong here, as 400 Sumatran rhinos are mentioned which means the rhinos are countable. Also, notice what does 'they' refer to?

B) Less than 400 Sumatran rhinos, surviving on the Malay peninsula and on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo, occupy a small fraction of the species’ former range. Same mistake as A i.e. Less than

C) Occupying a small fraction of the species’ former range, the Malay peninsula and the islands of Sumatra and Borneo are where fewer than 400 Sumatran rhinos survive.
Though fewer than is correct in this sentence, but, as per the Comma Subject rule, after the first comma, Rhinos should be mentioned not the Malay peninsula and the islands of Sumatra

D) Occupying a small fraction of the species’ former range, fewer than 400 Sumatran rhinos survive on the Malay peninsula and on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo.
Usage of 'fewer than' is correct and as you can notice, the comma subject rule is also in place for this sentence structure

E) Surviving on the Malay peninsula and on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo, less than 400 Sumatran rhinos occupy a small fraction of the species’ former range.
Less than is again wrong over here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Less than 400 Sumatran rhinos survive on the Malay peninsula and on th [#permalink]
Kudos

Issue: Modifier

Analysis:
1. First split to notice in options is "Less than" vs "Fewer than". Since, "rhinos" are countable we need to use "Fewer than" (eliminate A, B and E)
2. "Occupying a small fraction.." should modify "rhinos" to make sensible sentence. "Rhinos" are the main subject of the sentence who are occupying the fraction of range. (eliminate C)

B) Less than 400 Sumatran rhinos, surviving on the Malay peninsula and on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo, occupy a small fraction of the species’ former range.

Answer: (D)

PS: There might be other errors in the incorrect options that I have not mentioned here.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
HI mikemcgarry, GMATNinja , GMATGuruNY

Quote:
For whatever it’s worth, I’m also not sure that I understand why “surviving on the Malay peninsula…” has been turned into a modifier. That phrase makes more sense as part of the main clause, as it is in (A).

Can you please explain a bit about the verb -ing (surviving on the Malay peninsula) present here?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:
Can you please explain a bit about the verb -ing (surviving on the Malay peninsula) present here?

In B and E, surviving serves to modify rhinos occupy, implying that act of SURVIVING is HOW the rhinos OCCUPY a small fraction of the species' former range.
This meaning is illogical.
Eliminate B and E.
In the OA, occupying serves to modify rhinos survive, implying that the act of OCCUPYING a small fraction of the species' former range is HOW the rhinos SURVIVE.
This meaning is logical.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Please explain me the meaning of first sentence....i.e what does species former range means?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bishal123456789 wrote:
Please explain me the meaning of first sentence....i.e what does species former range means?

In this context:
range = the area occupied by a species.
Consider the following case.

Former range:
The rhinos used to live on a parcel of land with an area of 1000 square miles.
Current range:
The rhinos now live on a parcel of land with an area of 100 square miles.
Since 100/1000 = 1/10, the rhinos now occupy a small fraction -- 1/10 -- of the species' former range.

Originally posted by GMATGuruNY on 17 Jul 2018, 04:32.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on 22 Oct 2018, 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 612 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36 (Online)
Send PM
Hi! The official guide says that in B, apart from the less than 400..., the phrase surviving.... is wrong, but I don't get why. Would you please clarify? Thanks in advance.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [3]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
patto wrote:
Hi! The official guide says that in B, apart from the less than 400..., the phrase surviving.... is wrong, but I don't get why. Would you please clarify? Thanks in advance.

(B) Less than 400 Sumatran rhinos, surviving on the Malay peninsula and on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo, occupy a small fraction of the species’ former range.

The point to be made is that fewer (less) than 400 Sumatran rhinos survive in this area.

However, in (B), the main verb is not "survive" but rather "occupy," and "survive" has become "surviving," and appears in a participial phrase.

A participial phrase separated from the rest of the clause by commas, as is "surviving on the Malay peninsula and on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo," modifies the entire clause, explaining something about the events described in the clause.

In this case, the event in question is "Sumatran rhinos ... occupy." So, the participial phrase modifies that action.

The result is a sentence that conveys that less than 400 Sumatran rhinos occupy a small fraction of the species' former range by surviving on the Malay peninsula and on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo.

Since it does not really make sense that the rhinos would occupy by surviving, (B) does not make sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Schools: IIMA WBS '22
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep

Can verb-ing modifier come before the main clause and denote a result.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
KaranB1 wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep

Can verb-ing modifier come before the main clause and denote a result.

Not really.

In some cases, perhaps, one could argue that what's descibed in an opening participial phrase is somehow the result of what's outlined by the clause that follows that phrase, but really, such instances would result from the fact that, in some cases, cause and effect are not easy to tell apart. It does not make sense for an opening participial phrase to be intended to describe a result of what's outlined by the clause that follows.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi Guys,

The OG says "they" in A is ambiguous, I wonder why? I would have thought that as its the subject of an IC, it refers to the subject of the previous IC, which is Rhinos. Is it because it could potentially refer to the "islands" too?

EducationAisle GMATGuruNY, ExpertsGlobal5
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TargetMBA007 wrote:
Hi Guys,

The OG says "they" in A is ambiguous, I wonder why? I would have thought that as its the subject of an IC, it refers to the subject of the previous IC, which is Rhinos. Is it because it could potentially refer to the "islands" too?

Yes TargetMBA007, technically they is ambiguous because they can also refer to islands.

However, for the reason you've cited (subject of IC), this is not a problematic issue in this sentence.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TargetMBA007 wrote:
Hi Guys,

EducationAisle GMATGuruNY, ExpertsGlobal5

You have a good point. The structure of the sentence certainly suggests that "they" refers to the subject of the previous clause ("rhinos"). Could "they" technically refer to "islands" too? Perhaps. Does that make the "they" ambiguous? Maybe a little bit? (D) avoids that issue altogether, so that could be a small vote in favor of (D) over (A).

But even if we call that pronoun "ambiguous," pronoun ambiguity is not an absolute rule (as discussed in this video), so that's certainly not a good enough reason to eliminate (A). (A) has a bigger problem, as described in this post.

Lastly, as explained here, you should take anything you read in an official explanation with a grain of salt, since they aren't written by the people who design the questions ;) .

I hope that helps a bit!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Experts please help. Shouldn't the verbs occupy and survive both referring to the same subject [Rhinos] have the same construction?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [1]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
Sherlock93 wrote:
Experts please help. Shouldn't the verbs occupy and survive both referring to the same subject [Rhinos] have the same construction?

Not necessary!

by the time, experts reply. here is my thought:

While talking over the phone, I was drinking coffee.
I was talking over the phone and drinking coffee.
I went to a hotel and met a freind .
I went to hotel so that I could meet a freind
I went to the hotel ,a place where I met my freind.

The key point is: you can represent the idea in number of ways. It is not restricted with stringent rule that both the verb must be in same form/tense etc.

I hope it helps.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sherlock93 wrote:

As mSKR pointed out, there is no rule that requires two verbs to be in the same exact tense or form even if they have the same subject. It all depends on the context, meaning, and timeline indicated by the particular sentence.

Additionally, in (D) the word "occupying" is actually not a verb at all -- it's a modifier! The subject of the sentence is "fewer than 400 Sumatran rhinos," and the main verb of the sentence is "survive." The bit before the comma -- "Occupying a small fraction of the species’ former range," -- just serves to describe the rhinos.

For more on "-ing" words, check out this article.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts