Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: Booth '15
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Kellogg PT Vs Booth PT with $$ [#permalink]
Kudos
I would pick Booth hands down over Kellogg, similar in many regards but the caliber of students and academics is dramatically different. Booth's pitch about having Nobel laureates on faculty is just their way of saying that their level of rigor/thinking/academics tops any other B-School.

Kellogg likely does a better job marketing itself. Booth has a tendency to be more understated (as in, they don't go out of their way to impress or attract candidates). That said, Kellogg wins if you are looking to have a career in Marketing.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
One other item to add - Kellogg is pretty friendly to their PT students.
Most of the programs (or rather all except Kellogg) exclude or discourage their PT students from participating in their Recruiting events. Thus as a PT student at Booth, you will not be informed, invited, or encouraged to show up for the on campus recruiting, job fairs, etc since you are a PT student who is employed. Kellogg is pretty transparent and allows everyone to participate.

Good Luck!
BB
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [2]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kellogg PT Vs Booth PT with $$ [#permalink]
Kudos
bluegt wrote:
I would pick Booth hands down over Kellogg, similar in many regards but the caliber of students and academics is dramatically different. Booth's pitch about having Nobel laureates on faculty is just their way of saying that their level of rigor/thinking/academics tops any other B-School.

Kellogg likely does a better job marketing itself. Booth has a tendency to be more understated (as in, they don't go out of their way to impress or attract candidates). That said, Kellogg wins if you are looking to have a career in Marketing.

This last bit here is what really amazes me that people quote completely unfounded/incomplete statements or things that would have been true 10 years ago.

bb one additional thing for Kellogg PT: you can take all the courses offered to FT students and at either of the 2 locations (Evanston or Chicago). This is crucial as you will need to network if you are looking to pivot into a new industry/function post MBA and I had a lot of PT folks present at the company networking events over the OCR recruiting season last year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V164
Send PM
I don't really have a firm opinion on this matter, but I will say 40k is a fair bit of money
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with the other responses that $40K is a big deal. Have you let Kellogg know that Booth has offered you $$. They may be willing to match or at least throw a little bit of $ your way.

divyakesharwani wrote:
I am in a very confused situation! I have been admitted to Kellogg and Booth part-time weekend MBA program. Both traditional pace.

I know both schools are great and I can't go wrong with either one academically or faculty wise! Also, my career goals is to move from hard-core engineering to business development/corporate strategy in the tech industry or potentially strategy consulting (a long shot).

The point of confusion comes here:
1. Booth has offered me a scholarship for 5 courses but nothing from Kellogg (~40k). BUT,
2. My interaction with both schools has resulted in different experiences - it was expected but wasn't expecting to be this stark.

At Kellogg, I found a more supportive atmosphere, a warm feeling, a willingness to connect organically, down-to-earth nature of everyone I connected with, and a feeling that those people will be there for me.

At Booth, it was a little cold. In general, students are very nice, supportive, and willing to help/discuss/and give the best information that they can provide, but it was all in a 'professional capacity' (if you know what I mean). Even among the students themselves, I just felt there weren't those warm commandries or organic bondings. It was more strategic bonding. I was almost leaning Booth despite all that - assuming this might just be a small sample set, but then I spoke with career services over the phone, and man - that was a super cold conversation that I couldn't continue beyond 15 min. I got nervous during the conversation.

Not I am confused as to should I take the money and accept the fact that not everyone will be that amicable/cordial at Boot, and I will just need to find my type of people and work with them, OR go with Kellogg where I will kinda feel 'SAFE'!!

Any input will be very helpful in making my decision.
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
I did... But nothing from Kellogg!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kellogg PT Vs Booth PT with $$ [#permalink]
Expert Reply
As a reminder, Kellogg is much better at treating its PT and EMBA students than other programs (no offense to Booth, just Kellogg stands out).
Kellogg just happens to be very friendly to PT students in terms of recruiting and career events that helps quite a bit if you are looking to get a new job or network. Other BSchools tent to exclude PT students from these recruiting opportunities (they prioritize them for their FT students, who are are, usually, in the greatest need of a job).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.08
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
OP who did you end up choosing and why?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
divyakesharwani what did you decide? Also what are your stats for the scholarship?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
bb wrote:
Most of the programs (or rather all except Kellogg) exclude or discourage their PT students from participating in their Recruiting events. Thus as a PT student at Booth, you will not be informed, invited, or encouraged to show up for the on campus recruiting, job fairs, etc since you are a PT student who is employed. Kellogg is pretty transparent and allows everyone to participate.

Good Luck!
BB

Hello BB! I have been reading quite a few posts regarding PT MBA programs as I am also trying to decide. I am not sure if you were able to connect to some PT programs recently, but from my personal research, talking with the admission team, attending admission events, speaking with their current students and recent graduates, at least the 3 schools (Booth, Kellogg, Ross) I interacted with convinced to me that PT students have same access to FULL TIME OCR (with Booth and Kellogg needing approval to attend from current employer if the student is receiving sponsorship from the company). Ross even gives full access to their On-campus Internship recruiting to PT MBA! Some recent graduates actually took advantage of it and made the career switch they wanted by quitting their full time job.

I know I am not asking the question, but I thought I wanted to let you know my findings so you could provide more updated information to people in need with your strong influence in this forum!

Thanks for your efforts answering questions for everyone!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
I heard a confirmation from at least one Booth student that Booth has a pretty open door policy for PT students as well in terms of access to recruiting events. I still think it will be a challenge to attend many/all of them since they will be during work hours and it takes quite a bit of effort to do all the coffee chats and pre-work for them as well as follow up elements but that's on the applicant and has nothing to do with school.

In other words, you can safely pick either Booth or Kellogg - it seems both have the same (almost full) level of access for PT students.

Drfood wrote:
bb wrote:

Good Luck!
BB

Hello BB! I have been reading quite a few posts regarding PT MBA programs as I am also trying to decide. I am not sure if you were able to connect to some PT programs recently, but from my personal research, talking with the admission team, attending admission events, speaking with their current students and recent graduates, at least the 3 schools (Booth, Kellogg, Ross) I interacted with convinced to me that PT students have same access to FULL TIME OCR (with Booth and Kellogg needing approval to attend from current employer if the student is receiving sponsorship from the company). Ross even gives full access to their On-campus Internship recruiting to PT MBA! Some recent graduates actually took advantage of it and made the career switch they wanted by quitting their full time job.

I know I am not asking the question, but I thought I wanted to let you know my findings so you could provide more updated information to people in need with your strong influence in this forum!

Thanks for your efforts answering questions for everyone!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts