Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618845 [301]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [57]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [11]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [2]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools: HBS '18
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a [#permalink]
Kudos
In E, is the only error the fact that it uses "with" instead of as? what about "consumer spending has slowed sharply" part of E, is that okay?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [3]
Send PM
Re: The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello!

Thank you for your question, oasis90!

Here's the original question, in case others want to follow along:

In E, is the only error the fact that it uses "with" instead of as? what about "consumer spending has slowed sharply" part of E, is that okay?

You are absolutely right - that's not the only problem with option E. In fact, incorrect options on the GMAT often have more than one problem with them. Sometimes, we can rule out incorrect options from different angles, and that's okay! We don't have to catch ALL of the problems with each option - if we catch an option that has a glaring problem, we toss that option aside and move on to finding the correct one.

I chose to start with "as" vs."with" because it's easy to spot during a simple glance over the options, and it is even easier to narrow it down to fewer options. If you wanted to, you could start by ruling out options that use the wrong form of the verb "to slow." We know these are past tense events, so you could start by ruling out options that don't use past tense correctly:

(A) unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending is slowed sharply --> WRONG (uses present tense)
(B) unsold goods were piling up on store shelves as consumer spending slowed sharply --> OK (uses past tense)
(C) unsold goods had piled up on store shelves with a sharp slowing of consumer spending --> WRONG (uses a gerund instead of a past tense verb; when you have a past perfect "had piled up," you need a past tense event that uses plain past tense to go with it to show these are two events that happen in a particular order)
(D) consumer spending was slowing sharply, with the piling up of unsold goods on store shelves --> OK (uses past tense)
(E) consumer spending has slowed sharply, with unsold goods piling up on store shelves --> WRONG (uses present tense)

Either way you attack this GMAT question, you will still end up knocking out answer E because it has more than one problem with it.

If I were to continue with this, I would go back to the "with" vs. "as" issue, and that would still leave me tossing out option D. Even if we attack this question from different angles, we can still get to option B is the correct option.

I hope this helps! There is not a singular "right way" to answer a GMAT question, as long as it eventually leads to the right answer! :cool:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Re: The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a brisk annual pace of 3.7 percent in the second quarter, but that while businesses were expanding their production, unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending is slowed sharply.

(A) unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending is slowed sharply

(B) unsold goods were piling up on store shelves as consumer spending slowed sharply

(C) unsold goods had piled up on store shelves with a sharp slowing of consumer spending

(D) consumer spending was slowing sharply, with the piling up of unsold goods on store shelves

(E) consumer spending has slowed sharply, with unsold goods piling up on store shelves

GMATNinja
daagh
chetan2u

Can you please throw more light on why Option D and E are wrong.

I am really stuck at these options. Please help!
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31895 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
XYZABCABC wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a brisk annual pace of 3.7 percent in the second quarter, but that while businesses were expanding their production, unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending is slowed sharply.

(A) unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending is slowed sharply

(B) unsold goods were piling up on store shelves as consumer spending slowed sharply

(C) unsold goods had piled up on store shelves with a sharp slowing of consumer spending

(D) consumer spending was slowing sharply, with the piling up of unsold goods on store shelves

(E) consumer spending has slowed sharply, with unsold goods piling up on store shelves

GMATNinja
daagh
chetan2u

Can you please throw more light on why Option D and E are wrong.

I am really stuck at these options. Please help!

While businesses were expanding,.....
So we are talking of two SIMULTANEOUS actions. Thus the second action should parallel the first and should start the clause.
We can PARALLEL businesses with unsold goods, but businesses with consumer spending - may not be correct in the context here.
Although the verb tense is correct in D - was slowing, the sequence is not correct..
Unsold goods were piling up as consumer spending was slowing and not the other way as the choice D conveys. Consumer spending lowered with piling up of ...

Choice E is wrong in tense usage ..
Present perfect HAS is wrong and not PARALLEL with earlier verb.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 184 [1]
Given Kudos: 285
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/07/30/us/economy-is-up-3.7-but-signs-hint-of-slowing.html

In a report that cheered the Administration and financial markets for different reasons, the Commerce Department said today that the nation's economy grew at a brisk annual pace of 3.7 percent in the second quarter. But the report also showed that while businesses were expanding their production, unsold goods were piling up on store shelves as consumer spending slowed sharply.

SC01059

GMATNinja, need your help here. I've read all the explanation but still confused why D is wrong.

Quote:

in D : "with the pilling up of...." explains (or shows a result of) "a slower consumer spending". For me this relation still makes sense.
If we connect also with the previous statement: "while business expanding...", we can see the correlation also.

Wdyt?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [2]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
septwibowo wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/07/30/us/economy-is-up-3.7-but-signs-hint-of-slowing.html

In a report that cheered the Administration and financial markets for different reasons, the Commerce Department said today that the nation's economy grew at a brisk annual pace of 3.7 percent in the second quarter. But the report also showed that while businesses were expanding their production, unsold goods were piling up on store shelves as consumer spending slowed sharply.

SC01059

GMATNinja, need your help here. I've read all the explanation but still confused why D is wrong.

Quote:

in D : "with the pilling up of...." explains (or shows a result of) "a slower consumer spending". For me this relation still makes sense.
If we connect also with the previous statement: "while business expanding...", we can see the correlation also.

Wdyt?

Hi, let me try to explain this.

As per the original sentence, two things happened simultaneously.

1. Businesses were expanding their production
2. Unsold Goods piled up on the store shelves.

Notice the very important use of "as" here. This is trying to explain the reason why #2 happened. unsold goods piled up on store shelves as[because] consumer spending is slowed sharply.

Hence the sequence is -
1. Businesses were expanding their production
2. Unsold Goods piled up on the store shelves. [because] 3. consumer spending is slowed sharply

Option D uses "with" that again states #2 and #3 came up together or they happened together, and that is not the intended meaning as per original sentence.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo Hey guys, can you please explain what "that" is doing in my sentence? :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
I do not see any error in choice D
is this question from official source.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Dear GMATNinja ,EMPOWERgmatVerbal

As for option A, if I change "is slowed" into "slowed", the sentence reads: "... while businesses were expanding their production, unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending slowed sharply." Is this new version correct? If it is, the structure with "while" is not paralleled: while businesses + verb in past progressive, unsold goods + verb in simple past.

Thank you
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Tracy95 wrote:
Dear GMATNinja ,EMPOWERgmatVerbal

As for option A, if I change "is slowed" into "slowed", the sentence reads: "... while businesses were expanding their production, unsold goods piled up on store shelves as consumer spending slowed sharply." Is this new version correct? If it is, the structure with "while" is not paralleled: while businesses + verb in past progressive, unsold goods + verb in simple past.

Thank you

Thanks for the question Tracy95!

If you changed "is slowed" to "slowed," it is better, but it fixes only one problem. In option B, we see that this option also fixes the parallelism issue between "were expanding" and "were piling up."

So while it's better, it's still not a fully corrected option.

I hope that helps! Feel free to tag me at EMPOWERgmatVerbal with any more questions you have!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [6]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Can someone explain the answer to this question? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
This one is fun, huh? :)

thangvietnam wrote:
I do not see any error in choice D
is this question from official source.

Yup, it's from the OG! I occasionally hallucinate things in the OGs, but Bunuel verified it, and he does not make mistakes. (Also: mosquitos refuse to bite him, just out of respect. And the last time he went to Spain, he chased the bulls.)

MikeScarn wrote:
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo Hey guys, can you please explain what "that" is doing in my sentence? :)

I see what you did there! Nicely played, MikeScarn.

The second "that" might feel a little bit unnecessary, but it's there to emphasize the parallelism:

"The Commerce Department reported that the nation's economy grew at a brisk annual pace of 3.7 percent in the second quarter, but that while businesses were expanding their production, unsold goods piled up on store shelves..."

So the Commerce Department reported two things: (1) "that the nation's economy grew..." and (2) "that while businesses were expanding their production, unsold goods piled up on store shelves..." So the word "that" just subordinates the two clauses, and clarifies that both clauses are things that "the Commerce Department reported." Fair enough. (More on "that" in this article and this video.)

septwibowo wrote:

I've read all the explanation but still confused why D is wrong...

Yeah, the "with" thing is tricky. Let's go through all of the answer choices, just to be safe.

Quote:

The verb tenses make no sense here. Businesses "were expanding" (past progressive tense, if you like jargon -- basically, an ongoing action in the past), but then consumer spending "is slowed sharply" (present tense). There's no good reason to mix those tenses here. (A) is out.

Quote:

I have no problem with this. It's all in past tense: "business were expanding their production", "unsold goods were piling up", and "consumer spending slowed." That actually makes sense.

Let's keep (B).

Quote:

The verb tense doesn't work in (C), for starters. The past perfect tense "had piled up" must describe an action that logically occurs before something else in the past. And that just doesn't work here: the action "unsold goods had piled up on store shelves" doesn't happen before "business were expanding their production." That's enough to eliminate (C).

The "with" is also goofy, but I'll say more about that in (D), since that one has attracted more questions.

Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can think of two major uses of the word "with":

1. To indicate that one thing or person is accompanied by another: "Tim went with Ron to see a nine-hour documentary about weiner dogs."
    2. To modify or describe an action: "Milena ate an entire pizza with great enthusiasm." The phrase "with great enthusiasm" just describes the action, "Mila ate."

The problem with (D) is that neither usage of "with" really applies here. It makes no sense to say that spending was slowing accompanied by "the piling up of unsold goods," the way Tim was accompanied by Ron. And it's not logical for "the piling up of unsold goods" to describe the slowing spending.

Contrast this with (B), in which "as" indicates that the slowing of spending and the piling up of goods are happening at the same time. This is perfectly logical, and much, much clearer.

So given the choice between (D) and (B), (B) wins.

Quote:

Welp, (E) has the same "with" problem as (D). Also, the verb tense still doesn't make a whole lot of sense: "has slowed" indicates an action that starts in the past but continues in the present, but then the non-underlined portion of the sentence is still in the past. It's not necessarily a crime to mix verb tenses, but in this case, there's no good reason to do it.

So (B) is the best we can do.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [2]
Given Kudos: 1120
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Fuqua '24 (A)
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM