Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [9]
Given Kudos: 115
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [2]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 480 Q22 V22
Send PM
Re: Bose released Wireless headphones QC35 as a successor to their vastl [#permalink]
Straight B. The wireless capabilities of QC35 makes it easier for its users to use it for extended periods especially at night to reduce the ambient noise. Thus increasing its wear and tear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Re: Bose released Wireless headphones QC35 as a successor to their vastl [#permalink]
Quality of question appears dubious...How to select between option B) and E)?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [0]
Send PM
Harshgmat wrote:
Quality of question appears dubious...How to select between option B) and E)?

Hi Harsh,

I am not sure about the quality of the question, but the source e-GMAT, they do have very good questions which traps the test taker into closely correct answer. So is the case in this question. I am not however promoting e-GMAT here not concluding the quality to be the best.

However, I will try my best to explain Choice E and Choice B

E says. "Bose charges a lower price for replacement ear-cups of QC35 than it does for QC25."

What this essential means is price of ear cup for QC 35 IS LESS than price of ear cup for QC 25.

What is the conclusion of the argument "must have reduced the quality of ear-cups in QC35 to make up for additional cost."

Pay a close attention to reduce quality of QC 35 to adjust the cost.

Dosen't E in a way support the conclusion.
Think about it this way
Say advt said "the two products are same in quality ( even same in technology , though QC 35 is better than QC 25) and from same manufacturere and of the two one is charged less and other is more
" would you not believe that there is some factor that makes one of them cheaper than other"

I underdtand that we may have several reasons to Justify the cost of QC-35 ear cup ( like cost has decreased since QC 25 was launched, manufacturing process improved, wastage redcuced...etc ) wouldn't the same factors apply to QC -25.

Now Option B

Let me take analogy of the Question and try explaining the same.

Probus bought a car X where as Aquillia bought car Y , both X and Y are manufactured by A Corp. Car Y in comparasion to Car X has ergonomic design , superrior ride quality, ease of handling and great fuel efficiency. A Corp has decided to sell Car Y at the same price at which it sold Car X. However, Aquillia who owns Car Y had to replace the Tires of the car in less than 24 months where as Probus who owns Car X had to replace the tires after 48 months. Clearly Quality of tires was compromised to meet the cost constraint.

Now can u draw that since Aquillia had driven more miles becuase of certain advantages that Car X did not offer , he had to change the Tires more early than Probus had to.

This is exactly what is happenning in B

Now if I said Tires for Car Y are cheaper than Car X . ( lets assume the size of tire and other factors remain same and can only be bough from A Corp) What would you draw from this. That A Corp must have reduced the quality of Tires to match the price of Car X .
This is Exactly what is happening in E.

I know analogy i have drawn may be vague, but this was my attempt to explain in a simpler way.

Let me know if this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Send PM
I got stuck between B & E.The reason why i did not opt B is that it's written , QC35 can be worn while sleeping but is that an essential thing that people will wear it while sleeping?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 209
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
A Kudos for a Bose question. ;)

Conclusion: ...reduced the quality of ear-cups in QC35...
The answer choice weakening the argument is the one which acts as an evidence to disprove the conclusion.

Probus wrote:
Bose released Wireless headphones – QC35 as a successor to their vastly popular QC25 wired headphones. While Bose claims that QC35 uses the same frame and technology as QC25 does, the average QC35 owner replaces the earcups every 12 months, twice as frequently as QC25 owner does. Since Bose did not increase the price of QC35 despite adding wireless capability, it must have reduced the quality of ear-cups in QC35 to make up for additional cost.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the author’s argument?

(A) Very few of Bose’s customers periodically clean their ear-cups, actions which can increase their life drastically.
Valid for both variants of headphones - does not weaken the argument.

(B) Since QC35 is wireless, it can also be worn while sleeping to reduce ambient noise.
Can be used for longer periods of time. Not precisely twice as long, but long nonetheless.

(C) Most ear-cups tear apart when the headphones are stored in a backpack with a sharp object such as a scissor.
The reason of elimination is the same as that of Option A

(D) While most QC25s are shared devices, most QC35s are used exclusively as personal devices.
The passage gives no information about "what are shared devices"

(E) Bose charges a lower price for replacement ear-cups of QC35 than it does for QC25.
Implies it is cheaper to purchase the replacement cups for QC35 than it is for QC25. Doesn't specify whether Bose's customers are price conscious or not and more importantly doesn't consider the possibility of the price difference being minuscule, the difference may be only $0.99 for all you know. Insufficient as an answer choice to weaken the argument.

Would you click this Kudos button? :dazed
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Dear Probus,

Thanks for detailed reply.

But I still have the doubt below-

Since Bose did not increase the price of QC35 despite adding wireless capability, it must have reduced the quality of ear-cups in QC35 to make up for additional cost.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the author’s argument?

So pre-thinking is

a) may be usage has increased so more wear-tear so higher frequency of replacement

b) may be user is getting it cheap( for whatever reason, you also mentioned few, may it is company's some market capture strategy or anything else) so why not replace and have feelings of owning new ear-cups

Both above reason may result into weakening the argument

Quality is not poor still replacement frequency is higher.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
It boils down to Option B and E.

Option B says that QC35 cane be worn while sleeping as it acts as a good noise cancellation.
This is good contender. Since people have started using this even in night time,there will be more wear and tear,resulting in frequent change of the earcups.
BANG ON!!

Coming to option E

Bose charges a lower price for replacement of ear-cups of QC35 than it does for QC25.

Some of us may think that this is giving us an alternate reason. If the price charged for replacement is low,people may get it replaced frequently and hence it is not because of the quality issue.

In my analysis this can even strengthen the conclusion.
If there is a quality issue, people would get it replaced straightaway seeing that the cost of replacement is low.

IMO B is correct.

EgmatQuantExpert gmatexam439 GMATNinja GMATNinja2

Please correct me if there is a flaw in my reasoning.
Appreciate your help on this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [1]
Given Kudos: 209
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
Here is how I eliminated answer choice (E) for this question:

(E) Bose charges a lower price for replacement ear-cups of QC35 than it does for QC25.
Implies it is cheaper to purchase the replacement cups for QC35 than it is for QC25. Doesn't specify whether Bose's customers are price conscious or not and more importantly doesn't consider the possibility of the price difference being minuscule, the difference may be only $0.99 for all you know. Insufficient as an answer choice to weaken the argument.

warrior1991 wrote:

Option B says that QC35 cane be worn while sleeping as it acts as a good noise cancellation.
This is good contender. Since people have started using this even in night time,there will be more wear and tear,resulting in frequent change of the earcups.
BANG ON!!

Coming to option E

Bose charges a lower price for replacement of ear-cups of QC35 than it does for QC25.

Some of us may think that this is giving us an alternate reason. If the price charged for replacement is low,people may get it replaced frequently and hence it is not because of the quality issue.

In my analysis, this can even strengthen the conclusion.
If there is a quality issue, people would get it replaced straightaway seeing that the cost of replacement is low.

IMO B is correct.

Hope this helps! :-)

P.S. All answer choices are explained in my detailed answer to this question here.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
warrior1991 wrote:

BANG ON!!

Coming to option E

In my analysis this can even strengthen the conclusion.

IMO B is correct.

Hi Bro,

I respectfully disagree with your understanding of option E.
Quote:
Bose charges a lower price for replacement ear-cups of QC35 than it does for QC25.

Here, the author is merely stating that a lower price is being charged for QC35. However, the argument never states anything about the purchasing affinity of the customers. For example, if you own a BMW and a Mercedes and the cost of replacing the door mats is cheaper for BMW than for Mercedes it doesn't mean that you will go on replacing the door mats of your BMW every month. You will change them ONLY if you require them to be changed. Thus, this option is actually irrelevant in current context.

I hope that helps!

Regards
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [1]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks abhinav770 and gmatexam439 for your valuable insight on option E.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
warrior1991 wrote:
Thanks abhinav770 and gmatexam439 for your valuable insight on option E.

Hi bro,

Kudo is also a good way to say a thank you ;)

Regards
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts