Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [18]
Given Kudos: 132
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [6]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [5]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 3
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Re: for decades, countries have measured wheat field productivity using th [#permalink]
sameerspice wrote:
for decades, countries have measured wheat field productivity using the Wheat Field Productivity Index (WFPI), which is equal to the average number of pounds of grain harvested per acre of wheat. In 2005, Mlatnia's WFPI was 60 pound per acre more than Italy's WFPI. In 2006, Maltania's WFPI was 75 pound per acre more than Italy's. Therefore, Malania's wheat field productivity must have increased during that period.

Which of the following, IF TRUE, provides strongest support for the conclusion above?

A. Between 2005 and 2006, the number of acres of wheat planted in both Maltania and Italy has increased by same rate.
    B. In 2006, Malatania received 20% more sunshine than usual.
    C. Between 2005 and 2006, Italy's wheat field productivity decreased by 10 pound per acre.
    D. In 2006, Italy experienced its worst drought in decades,
    E. In 2006, Malatania began subsidizing all of its wheat farmer.

I looking for some good discussion, will post the official explanation 10 reasoned responses and discussion.

How C is the Answer.
If Italy's production has decreased how does that prove that Malatania's production has increased?
In order to prove that Malatania's production per acre has increased we need to prove that Italy's prodcution has remained same or that Italy didnt drastically increase its number of acres it planted wheat?
Please post officiall explanation :S
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
for decades, countries have measured wheat field productivity using th [#permalink]
Decrease in Italy's wheat field productivity has no relation to the productivity of Malania..
C is definitely wrong...

B or E can be taken as strengthening points "with some assumptions"..

Can some CR/verbal experts comment on this CR question?

sameerspice , Could you please post official explanation for the answer choices?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
for decades, countries have measured wheat field productivity using th [#permalink]
For Maltnia's Productivity to increase, You have to make sure that Italy's Productivity doesn't fall below than 60 P/A.Option C exactly make sure of that. All you have to do is not to fall in to a trap word ‘ decrease' 'cau its a small decrease.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 296
Schools: Mannheim"17
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Re: for decades, countries have measured wheat field productivity using th [#permalink]
Ram025 wrote:
For Maltnia's Productivity to increase, You have to make sure that Italy's Productivity doesn't fall below than 60 P/A.Option C exactly make sure of that. All you have to do is not to fall in to a trap word ‘ decrease' 'cau its a small decrease.

C is wrong, I tell you why

for decades, countries have measured wheat field productivity using the Wheat Field Productivity Index (WFPI), which is equal to the average number of pounds of grain harvested per acre of wheat. In 2005, Mlatnia's WFPI was 60 pound per acre more than Italy's WFPI. In 2006, Maltania's WFPI was 75 pound per acre more than Italy's. Therefore, Malania's wheat field productivity must have increased during that period.

Conclusion is that Malta's productivity has increased
Fact 1: In 2005--M=I+60
Fact2 : In 2006--M=I +75

therefore, to increase productivity M= I+75+(x)--> where x is the increase in productivity
C says that I has decreased its producivity by 10%
so it may be M=I+75-x as well as M=I+75+x

So C is clearly flawed.

I chose B because 20% more sunshine means more productivity. Though I assumed that I has same sunshine as before and high sunshine=high productivity.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Olin '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE:Supply Chain Management (Retail)
Send PM
sameerspice wrote:

Which of the following, IF TRUE, provides strongest support for the conclusion above?

A. Between 2005 and 2006, the number of acres of wheat planted in both Maltania and Italy has increased by same rate.
    B. In 2006, Malatania received 20% more sunshine than usual.
    C. Between 2005 and 2006, Italy's wheat field productivity decreased by 10 pound per acre.
    D. In 2006, Italy experienced its worst drought in decades,
    E. In 2006, Malatania began subsidizing all of its wheat farmer.

I looking for some good discussion, will post the official explanation 10 reasoned responses and discussion.

Break Argument:
In 2005, Mlatnia's WFPI was 60 pound per acre more than Italy's WFPI
In 2006, Maltania's WFPI was 75 pound per acre more than Italy's
Conclution:
Malania's wheat field productivity must have increased during that period.

This is definitely a weak argument.
Example:
2005: M=500; I= 440
2006: M=400; I=325
=>weaken

Here is why C strenthens argument

Author reasoning is that
M05 and M06: wheat field productivity of M in 2005 and 2006
I05 and I06: wheat field productivity of N in 2005 and 2006
M05-I05=60
M06-I06=75
I05=I06+10
=>M06-M05=I06+75-I05-60=I06+15-I06-10=5>0. With C, M06 always larger than M05.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
[color=#ec008c][wrapimg=Let me explain this to you.
Explanation : In the argument presented, the conclusion is that Maltania's WFPI increased during the period from 2005 to 2006. We need to find the statement that strengthens the conclusion. Now, look at the figures mentioned in the argument closely. In 2005, Maltania's WFPI was 60 pound/acre more than that of Italy.
In 2006, the difference grew bigger with Maltania's WFPI 75 pound/acre more than that of Italy.

Let us now look at the answer choice C first. It says that Italy's WFPI actually decreased by 10 pound/acre.
But if you notice the difference in the increase from 2005 and 2006, it is 15 pound/acre. So, if Italy's WFPI decreased by 10 pound/acre, so if WFPI of
maltania remained the same, the difference would have been 70 pound/acre. But as per the argument, it is 75 pound/acre. So, for that to happen, the WFPI
of maltania has to increase.]

Thanks !
Pass on Kudos please if you like my response !

[/wrapimg][/color]

Thanks for the explanation.
This is more clear and hence more convincing.

In a CR question no will like to think or pick up numbers and do math as explained in some of the posts here. However, noticing the difference within given numbers is quite a feasible approach.

Thanks.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts