Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Comparisonsx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [3]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [5]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Unlike the virginal, whose single set of strings runs parallel to the [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
Unlike the virginal, whose single set of strings runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are placed at right angles to its front edge.

(A) whose single set of strings runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are

(B) with a single set of strings running parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the several sets of strings of the harpsichord are

(C) which has a single set of strings that runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, in the case of the harpsichord, several sets of strings are

(D) which has a single set of strings that run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord has several sets of strings

(E) in which a single set of strings run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are

Here, there are 2 parts in this sentence correction: one is underlined part and the other is non-underlined part. In GMAT, the non-underlined part is always considered as legit. So, we need to take care of the underlined part.
In non-underlined part, its indicates something singular. So, its 's :) antecedent must be singular.
A) several sets of strings==> plural, so out
B) several sets of strings==> plural, so out
C) several sets of strings==> plural, so out
D) harpsichord ==> singular, keep it
E) several sets of strings==> plural, so out
So, the correct choice is

Hope it helps.
Re: Unlike the virginal, whose single set of strings runs parallel to the [#permalink]
Quote:
Unlike the virginal, whose single set of strings runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord???s several sets of strings are placed at right angles to its front edge.

(A) whose single set of strings runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord???s several sets of strings are

(B) with a single set of strings running parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the several sets of strings of the harpsichord are

(C) which has a single set of strings that runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, in the case of the harpsichord, several sets of strings are

(D) which has a single set of strings that run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord has several sets of strings

(E) in which a single set of strings run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord???s several sets of strings are

Hi My honorable expert,
I'm totally lost finding the meaning of this sentence! In choice D, which one run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, actually?
Is it:
1/ strings?
or,
2/ a single set of strings?
Thanks_
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi My honorable expert,
I'm totally lost finding the meaning of this sentence! In choice D, which one run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, actually?
Is it:
1/ strings?
or,
2/ a single set of strings?
Thanks_

Good question! Whenever "that" is used as the subject of a modifying clause, the verb associated with "that" will tell us whether the antecedent is singular or plural.

In (D) we have "a single set of strings that run parallel to the front edge of the instrument." Because "run" is a plural verb, this tells us that I'm searching for a plural antecedent - in this case, "strings."

However, imagine that we'd had "a single set of strings that runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument." Now "runs" is a singular verb, and so "that" must modify a singular antecedent. The closest one is "set."

I hope that helps!

Originally posted by GMATNinja on 10 Jan 2019, 15:45.
Last edited by GMATNinjaTwo on 15 Mar 2019, 06:38, edited 1 time in total.
corrected typo
Quote:
Unlike the virginal, whose single set of strings runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are placed at right angles to its front edge.

(A) whose single set of strings runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are
(E) in which a single set of strings run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are

Here the official answer is

Hi my honorable expert,
RonPurewal, MartyMurray, GMATNinja, DmitryFarber, egmat, AjiteshArun, EMPOWERgmatRichC

The official answer choice makes me crazy!
I'm starting my reasoning with 2 examples.
Here are the examples:
1) I took pictures of my dog, which are so adorable that they make everyone smile.----->correct. Because "dog" can describe "pictures". Most importantly, "pictures of my dog" is just "one unit"
2) I took pictures of my dog, which is so adorable that it protects security in our house.-----> Correct.
3) I took pictures in 2018, which are so adorable that blah blah blah ------>incorrect. "in 2018" does not describe the "pictures" at all, because "pictures in 2018" is not a UNIT; it describes when "I took pictures".
So, from the example 1 and 2, I can safely say that if something is group of one unit, then the modifier can jump.

Now, here is the main official question:

Unlike the virginal, which has a single set of strings that run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord has several sets of strings placed at right angles to its front edge.

In apparently, it seems that we're going to make comparison between 'virginal' and 'harpsichord'; we're going to make comparison between what they possess, actually.

In this official example, 'Harpsichord' possesses something which is different from 'Virginal' does.
But, in this example, 'strings' is SAME for both instruments. We're just going to make creativity/comparison in 'single set' and in 'several sets'.
So, how can we actually fill up the blank?
Simple answer: single set of strings.
Why "single set of strings" is in the blank? Because, it (single set of strings) is possessed by 'Virginal'. And the "single set of strings' is just ONE unit, here at least.
As 'several sets of strings' is compared with 'a single set of strings', then we should introduce 'a single set of strings' (NOT only 'strings') by 'that', because 'single set of strings' is just ONE unit.
So, if this is the case (if the logic is right), we should use singular verb (runS) for the subject 'a single set of strings' in choice D like the below one.

Unlike the virginal, which has a single set of strings that runS parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord has several sets of strings placed at right angles to its front edge.

I'll be very glad if I've some experts' comments.
Thank you___
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AsadAbu wrote:
In apparently, it seems that we're going to make comparison between 'virginal' and 'harpsichord'; we're going to make comparison between what they possess, actually.

In this official example, 'Harpsichord' possesses something which is different from 'Virginal' does.
But, in this example, 'strings' is SAME for both instruments. We're just going to make creativity/comparison in 'single set' and in 'several sets'.
This is not creativity. The comparison is strictly between the nouns virginal and harpsichord. To check the comparison being made in this sentence, you should check only the noun introduced by (the object of) unlike (the virginal) and the subject of the clause (the harpsichord).

Unlike the virginal, which has a single set of strings that run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord has several sets of strings placed at right angles to its front edge.
or
Unlike the virginal, the harpsichord has several sets of strings placed at right angles to its front edge.

The portion that you seem to be worried about just has extra information that has nothing to do with our checking whether the comparison is logical. For example:

Unlike cars, planes have two wings.
Here the comparison is fine, although the reader could think that cars also have (1, 3, 4...) wings.

Unlike cars, which have wheels, planes have two wings.
Here the comparison is fine, and the reader is not likely to think that cars have wings.

Unlike cars, which have four wheels, planes have two wings.
The comparison is fine, and the reader is not likely to think that cars have wings.

The comparison is fine in all 3 sentences (ignore the fact that some cars do have wings :)). Adding additional information about cars does not make the comparison incorrect.
AjiteshArun wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:

This is not creativity. The comparison is strictly between the nouns virginal and harpsichord. To check the comparison being made in this sentence, you should check only the noun introduced by (the object of) unlike (the virginal) and the subject of the clause (the harpsichord).

or
Unlike the virginal, the harpsichord has several sets of strings placed at right angles to its front edge.

The portion that you seem to be worried about just has extra information that has nothing to do with our checking whether the comparison is logical. For example:

Unlike cars, planes have two wings.
Here the comparison is fine, although the reader could think that cars also have (1, 3, 4...) wings.

Unlike cars, which have wheels, planes have two wings.
Here the comparison is fine, and the reader is not likely to think that cars have wings.

Unlike cars, which have four wheels, planes have two wings.
The comparison is fine, and the reader is not likely to think that cars have wings.

The comparison is fine in all 3 sentences (ignore the fact that some cars do have wings :)). Adding additional information about cars does not make the comparison incorrect.

Thank you for your kind feedback AjiteshArun. Honestly speaking, I did not get the answer of my queries, because I had so many queries in my previous post. :)

By the by, could you explain a bit the following sentences on the basis of its legitimacy?
One important thing/info to know:
--> GMAT Club has kudos point
--> ManhattanPrep GMAT forum doesn't have any kudos point.

1/ Unlike GMAT Club, ManhattanPrep GMAT forum does not have any kudos point.

or,

2/ Unlike ManhattanPrep GMAT forum, GMAT Club has kudos point.

If you find any error in these 2 examples, could you help me by fixing that/those sentence(s)?
Thanks__
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
AsadAbu wrote:
Thank you for your kind feedback AjiteshArun. Honestly speaking, I did not get the answer of my queries, because I had so many queries in my previous post. :)
Let's not give up just yet :)

AsadAbu wrote:
As 'several sets of strings' is compared with 'a single set of strings', then we should introduce 'a single set of strings' (NOT only 'strings') by 'that', because 'single set of strings' is just ONE unit.
So, if this is the case (if the logic is right), we should use singular verb (runS) for the subject 'a single set of strings' in choice D like the below one.
1. Again, the comparison is not between several sets of strings and a single set of strings. The comparison is between the virginal and the harpsichord. Focus on that, and don't take the logical comparison tested in like X, Y type questions on the GMAT where it was never meant to go.

2. Even if that were not the case, we cannot go ahead and make the singular/plural decision on the basis of something in some other part of the sentence. This will come down to what the author wants to say. For example:

Unlike a car, which has a single set of wheels that rotate independently, a plane has multiple sets of wings that...

This is just a quick (and far from perfect) sentence I made right now to show that we will not go with the singular rotates, as a single set of wheels that rotates independently would mean that the set of wheels rotates as a unit. What the author wants to say is that the wheels do not affect each other.

TL;DR: there is no reason for the GMAT to treat single set of strings as one unit, and therefore the run does not need to be singular.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
AsadAbu wrote:
So, how can we actually fill up the blank?
Simple answer: single set of strings.
Why "single set of strings" is in the blank? Because, it (single set of strings) is possessed by 'Virginal'. And the "single set of strings' is just ONE unit, here at least.

Unlike the virginal, which has a single set of strings that runS parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord has several sets of strings placed at right angles to its front edge.

I'll be very glad if I've some experts' comments.
Thank you___

Regardless of whether the sets are being compared, it could still make sense to describe the strings within each set as running parallel and placed at right angles.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: International Business, Finance
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
AbdurRakib wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018

Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question No.: 680

Can 'whose' modify inanimate subjects?

Press +1 kudos if you have a similar doubt
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Raj30 wrote:
Can 'whose' modify inanimate subjects?
Yes. We can use whose to refer to inanimate objects as well.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [1]

Send PM