Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10012 [11]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021 [#permalink]
Right, the same response that I have got (the stock response as well). I would think at this time of the year, it should not be too long a pipeline of applications (I may be very wrong). Hence I assume it's a ding; but in that case I wonder what takes them so long to inform. I hope your case goes differently. All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
Schools: CBS '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021 [#permalink]
Kudos
Completed my application on June 6. Haven't heard back from them but I'm not going to read into that all too much.

I don't see the rationale behind delaying notification for rejected candidates, especially if the message is automatically generated anyway.

Will update when I hear back from them (with hopefully good news) :)

July 5: got invited for interview
July 10: had the interview (with report uploaded the same day)

14 days at most until final yes/no

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by Joseph_BTcapital on 30 Jun 2018, 18:10.
Last edited by Joseph_BTcapital on 10 Jul 2018, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q44 V43
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
I'm planning to apply ED around mid- to late-August. Good luck to all applicants.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Joseph_BTcapital wrote:
Completed my application on June 6. Haven't heard back from them but I'm not going to read into that all too much.

I don't see the rationale behind delaying notification for rejected candidates, especially if the message is automatically generated anyway.

July 5 update: got invited for interview :) keep the faith!

That's so awesome; congratulations! I just got dinged, but that's OK :) Time to refocus and get the next ones right!
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
As soon as the app is out, they start reviewing them, and then they continue until the Oct deadline, per the last line on this page:

https://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/programs/ ... nes/j-term

Hope that helps!

WestCoast7 wrote:
This is very helpful. Thank you! Do you know when they start reviewing J-Term applications?

SBCErikaOlson wrote:
To be clear, however, if you submit for Regular Decision (NOT Early Decision) you will still not hear until likely the end of November. They review all Early Decision applicants' files first, and that usually takes them from early October well into November, and THEN they begin Regular Decision on a rolling basis after that point.

And then as Narenn says below, once they've gotten into the swing of things the timeframes are about 6 weeks total after submission.

So I am not sure if it really makes sense for you to submit in early mid-August unless you think there is ZERO chance of anything else happening in your career that you might want to add onto your resume between that point and October, which is when I think is a good timeframe to shoot for if you are Regular Decision, so that you'll be one of the first applicants they review after they're done with the Early Decision applicants.

Hope that all makes sense!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Joseph_BTcapital wrote:

July 5: got invited for interview
July 10: had the interview (with report uploaded the same day)

14 days at most until final yes/no

All the best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Schools: CBS '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V39
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Kudos
If it's helpful to others, I was just accepted to J-Term on June 27th. I submitted my application a day after the application went live as I had prepared everything ahead of time. Truly thrilled to attend CBS next year!
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10012 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
WestCoast7 wrote:
If it's helpful to others, I was just accepted to J-Term on June 27th. I submitted my application a day after the application went live as I had prepared everything ahead of time. Truly thrilled to attend CBS next year!

Congratulations! So you decided to decline Berkeley's offer?
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Those who are preparing for interviews can read interview debriefs of previous applicants here... https://gmatclub.com/forum/columbia-190 ... brief.html Pls consider posting your interview experience in that section after your interview. Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Yes, that's most likely what will happen although it's a very tough choice! Do people have thoughts?

Narenn wrote:
WestCoast7 wrote:

Congratulations! So you decided to decline Berkeley's offer?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Gave my interview on the 11th July. No response yet. Safe to assume that it's a ding?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
vidur123 wrote:
Gave my interview on the 11th July. No response yet. Safe to assume that it's a ding?

Interview report submitted on July 10 for me.

Like you I am freaking out like crazy as decisions tend to be handed out 5+/-1.6 days after submission of interview report based on 2017 apps data I obsessively gathered from here and ClearAdmit.

However, I haven't given up hope yet. Most of the admits start showing up mid-August so I assume that the stats only apply to folks who submit July ish rather than June ish. Plus, if they wanted to reject me outright then I don't see why they would delay it.

Having said that, anxiety sucks and sleep has been hard to come by (I'm on GMT+8, anxiously checking my status page every hour 24 hours a day).

Working on other apps now :))

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
No need to obsessively check your status page. They call you before they update your status page!

Joseph_BTcapital wrote:
vidur123 wrote:

Like you I am freaking out like crazy as decisions tend to be handed out 5+/-1.6 days after submission of interview report based on 2017 apps data I obsessively gathered from here and ClearAdmit.

However, I haven't given up hope yet. Most of the admits start showing up mid-August so I assume that the stats only apply to folks who submit July ish rather than June ish. Plus, if they wanted to reject me outright then I don't see why they would delay it.

Having said that, anxiety sucks and sleep has been hard to come by (I'm on GMT+8, anxiously checking my status page every hour 24 hours a day).

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
[quote="WestCoast7"]No need to obsessively check your status page. They call you before they update your status page!

[quote="Joseph_BTcapital"][quote="vidur123"]Gave my interview on the 11th July. No response yet. Safe to assume that it's a ding?[/quote]

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size][/quote][/quote]

Do they call for both acceptance and rejection offers?

From what I understand, they don't call for rejections?

Plus the email notification is a couple of hours delayed from the status update (I found out I was invited for interview a couple of hours ahead of the email notification by obsessively refreshing the status update page).

7/23 Update: Got the call :) headed to CBS next year.

Stats (because it's what I'd ask as a follow-up myself): 3.8 GPA in Accounting, 750 GMAT, SE Asian working in $10b asset manager in SE Asia for 2yrs (formerly PE Associate for 1yr and MBB Analyst then Associate for 3), post MBA goal: buyside investing for global / regional fund.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Joseph_BTcapital wrote:
WestCoast7 wrote:
No need to obsessively check your status page. They call you before they update your status page!

Do they call for both acceptance and rejection offers?

From what I understand, they don't call for rejections?

Plus the email notification is a couple of hours delayed from the status update (I found out I was invited for interview a couple of hours ahead of the email notification by obsessively refreshing the status update page).

7/23 Update: Got the call :) headed to CBS next year.

Stats (because it's what I'd ask as a follow-up myself): 3.8 GPA in Accounting, 750 GMAT, SE Asian working in $10b asset manager in SE Asia for 2yrs (formerly PE Associate for 1yr and MBB Analyst then Associate for 3), post MBA goal: buyside investing for global / regional fund.

Hey Joseph_BTcapital ! Congrats on the acceptance and thank you for sharing your profile!
I am too applying to CBS on ED. But for now, I am really struggling with the failure essay! Any advice?

Congrats again!

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Really quiet in here... How is everyone going with their apps?
I am having a hard time with the failure essay :/
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
From Aringo's Blog...

TOEFL is no longer required for Columbia MBA

Starting this application season, the TOEFL is no longer required from international applicants (who attended a non-English-speaking undergraduate university) applying for Columbia Business School MBA program.

CBS is following other schools that do not need a TOEFL, such as MIT, Duke and Yale.

For more info on top MBA programs that don’t require the TOEFL, please visit: https://aringo.com/mba-programs-that-do ... ire-toefl/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q41 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Submitted today! Will update as soon as I hear anything back.

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts